[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Report: Patriots’ Spygate cheating was widespread over many years

lennykravitz2004

How convenient for this to be released right after Brady wins in court. The NFL is just trying to do everything they can to make the Patriots and Brady look bad at this point. I'm in no way a fan of the Pats, but this is just balantly obvious that the NFL is trying to turn more negative attention onto the Patriots. It's a shame that they can't just take their loss and move on.

• Like 1

How convenient for this to be released right after Brady wins in court. The NFL is just trying to do everything they can to make the Patriots and Brady look bad at this point. I'm in no way a fan of the Pats, but this is just balantly obvious that the NFL is trying to turn more negative attention onto the Patriots. It's a shame that they can't just take their loss and move on.

Of course is is an ESPN report, as ESPN is NFL's lackey network.

• Like 2

This wasn't from the NFL. It was part of an investigative piece by ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Several of them acknowledge that during pregame warm-ups, a low-level Patriots employee would sneak into the visiting locker room and steal the play sheet, listing the first 20 or so scripted calls for the opposing team's offense.

Numerous former employees say the Patriots would have someone rummage through the visiting team hotel for playbooks or scouting reports. Walsh later told investigators that he was once instructed to remove the labels and erase tapes of a Patriots practice because the team had illegally used a player on injured reserve.

Zzzzzz . . . more hearsay and quotes from anonymous sources. None of this sounds new to me.

Here are my two favorite quotes from the piece (aside from the multiple references to other teams doing the same sort of stuff, which always seem to get conveniently ignored):

"The shared view of Belichick and Adams, according to many who've worked with them, is this: The league is lazy and incompetent, so why not push every boundary? "You'd want Bill and Ernie doing your taxes," says a former Patriots assistant coach. "They would find all the loopholes, and then when the IRS would close them, they'd find more."

"It didn't matter that the Patriots went 18-1 in 2007. Or that they would average more wins a season after Spygate than before. Or that Belichick would come to be universally recognized as his generation's greatest coach. Or that many with the Patriots remain mystified at the notion that a historic penalty was somehow perceived to be lenient. The Patriots were forever branded as cheaters -- an asterisk, in the view of many fans, forever affixed to their wins."

I know for a Pats fan this reasoning may not hold, but there is a difference between loopholes and violating the rules.

The way they were lining up on offense and confusing the defense, that's a loophole (that I believe the NFL tried to close).

The video taping was not a loophole, clear rules violation. The tampering with balls in that Colts game (if really done) was not a loophole. Some of the other stuff I've read about (looking in hotel trash for playbooks, bugging visitors locker room or using a mole to report back, etc.) were also more of the violation stuff than loopholes.

Really poor analogy talking about somebody doing your taxes and getting you every deduction. Unless you approve of them doing that by cheating and lying about things as opposed to playing within the rules.

Edited by stevegrab
  • Like 1

i find it mildly amusing that this "investigative report" was released by the same network whose "insider" also "leaked" the story about deflategate to begin with (perhaps now, since that story has apparently gone south, they're trying to deflect by bringing up stuff that is really old?), and which has had to retract, and publicly apologize for numerous false reports regarding those "scandalous" patriots...LOL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25294305/patriots-respond-to-otl-report-deny-taping-practice-of-other-teams

and, yes, i also realize the pats are, naturally, going to deny any such wrongdoing...

but.......................for what it's worth, i'm neither a pats fan, nor hater, but really do believe in the concept of having evidence/proof before someone can be convicted of something, and parties should not be subject to trial in the "court of public opinion"...facts do actually matter, and until someone can provide any ironclad ones in any of these allegations, i'm inclined to side with the defendants...again, just my 2 cents...

• Like 2

i find it mildly amusing that this "investigative report" was released by the same network whose "insider" also "leaked" the story about deflategate to begin with (perhaps now, since that story has apparently gone south, they're trying to deflect by bringing up stuff that is really old?), and which has had to retract, and publicly apologize for numerous false reports regarding those "scandalous" patriots...LOL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25294305/patriots-respond-to-otl-report-deny-taping-practice-of-other-teams

and, yes, i also realize the pats are, naturally, going to deny any such wrongdoing...

but.......................for what it's worth, i'm neither a pats fan, nor hater, but really do believe in the concept of having evidence/proof before someone can be convicted of something, and parties should not be subject to trial in the "court of public opinion"...facts do actually matter, and until someone can provide any ironclad ones in any of these allegations, i'm inclined to side with the defendants...again, just my 2 cents...

exactly....

wow...what a shock...oh its espn? well then!!!!!!

oh wow....im also shocked this has all come to light days after goodells suspension is overturned

so they are stealing hand signals eh? what year did they start using headsets in helmets to communicate with the defense? 2008? 2009? the pats have 7 wins than any other team in the league since 2010....let me guess...."the pats are cutting communications for visiting teams in and out"......

this is the most ridiculous garbage ever.....its absurd how easily espn and the television influence opinion....just like many instances throughout the history of this country ....we are being lied to....and its easy to fool the general public.....luckily there were many smart enough to look into this deflate controversy and see what was really going on

ive heard everything....the pats are stealing playbooks left around gillette stadium....they are cutting signals out on headsets....taping practices blah blah.....they are just better than you

• Like 1

BB better watch it. You don't get into Hall of Fame' if a vast majority know or think you are crooked.

After reading the whole thing, 2 items come to mind.

First, Belichek is stupid if he continues to push the envelope. Second, a new commissioner might be a good thing for the league.

• Like 2

BB better watch it. You don't get into Hall of Fame' if a vast majority know or think you are crooked.

After reading the whole thing, 2 items come to mind.

First, Belichek is stupid if he continues to push the envelope. Second, a new commissioner might be a good thing for the league.

I get what you are saying but I think the only way he doesn't make the HOF is if someone in the organization comes out with something and has hard damning evidence. Otherwise, he's a lock.

Belichick doesn't deserve the hall of fame. But the bigger problem is the NFL and its commissioner failing to seek justice. The asterisk thing is just as real for the Patriots' wins under Belichick up until he got caught as it is for the mega-HR seasons of Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, etc.