[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time To Cut Bait?

dbforbes

As we are ending Week 4, I feel there there are certain players I have held onto for seemingly way too long in the hope that they will pan out. However, I am always concerned about dropping players a week too early (my biggest error like that was dropping Dwayne Bowe shortly before he when on a multi-week TD scoring fiesta the other year). But anyway, I think that after 4 weeks, the probationary period is over. Messers. Funchess and Ivory will be terminated at the end of the day. Regardless of whether I have waited to long or not long enough, I am sure the rest of you had similar questions. When do you decide that it is finally time to cut them?

The luck of your won/loss record certainly is a factor as to how long you wait. Roster sizes as well.

Ivory is not someone I cut. Funchess is.

I need to eventually determine if Taylor or Osweiller gets cut, and I'm thinking it's Taylor.

I need to eventually determine if Taylor or Osweiller gets cut, and I'm thinking it's Taylor.

Touch choices. I'd normally stick with Taylor, but losing Sammy is rough. While Brock has all the weapons an NFL QB should need, he's just not very good. Best of luck!

The luck of your won/loss record certainly is a factor as to how long you wait. Roster sizes as well.

Well said, and for me its

- which QB stays on my roster with Wentz, Eli or Cousins (leaning Cousins)

- do I hold on to Ameer Abdullah longer (keeper/dynasty and I kept him from last year) - probably not

Bye weeks starting and injuries will cause people to turn over the bottom of their roster more to deal with things, so lots of guys are getting cut (then picked up by somebody else), saw that in my league with Peterson and Julius Thomas.

When I played in a lot of leagues, and even today when it's limited - I've never really been a cut bait guy on RB's - only because there's really nothing great to replace. If you're cutting a guy who you thought was a RB3, but he's really a RB5, then just make him your RB5.

Eventually, RB's will get dinged and those situations change quickly.

WR's are a different story all together. If they aren't seeing the targets and it's obvious they aren't part of a plan with targets, then you need to watch a little tape, do some stat digging, and see just how badly they are out of sync with the QB. That won't change in season.

Someone mentioned Tate - he's not on the same page as Stafford. Floyd is just dropping balls.

I find it hard to cut any RBs unless they're injured for a long time themselves because there is so much turnover due to injury at the position. If they're healthy, sooner or later they're going to be relevant, even if only for 2-3 weeks (Rawls comes to mind).

I find it hard to cut any RBs unless they're injured for a long time themselves because there is so much turnover due to injury at the position. If they're healthy, sooner or later they're going to be relevant, even if only for 2-3 weeks (Rawls comes to mind).

Except Arian Foster, he's not worth the headache.

Edited by Shaft
  • Like 2

I agree on the W/L record. I didn't know what to do with John Brown and then he shows up with this HUGE game. So now I'm confused on what to do with him.

When I played in a lot of leagues, and even today when it's limited - I've never really been a cut bait guy on RB's - only because there's really nothing great to replace. If you're cutting a guy who you thought was a RB3, but he's really a RB5, then just make him your RB5.

Eventually, RB's will get dinged and those situations change quickly.

WR's are a different story all together. If they aren't seeing the targets and it's obvious they aren't part of a plan with targets, then you need to watch a little tape, do some stat digging, and see just how badly they are out of sync with the QB. That won't change in season.

Someone mentioned Tate - he's not on the same page as Stafford. Floyd is just dropping balls.

nailed it imo