Wolverines Fan

The NFL is planning for a full season with full stadiums

Recommended Posts

At least people here are finally taking it serious. When I went out yesterday most were wearing masks and gloves. A week ago it was business as usual. I really feel sorry for the grocery store cashiers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

At least people here are finally taking it serious. When I went out yesterday most were wearing masks and gloves. A week ago it was business as usual. I really feel sorry for the grocery store cashiers. 

Gloves are actually being shown to be a false sense of security and could lead to more widespread problems.  This virus is droplet infectious.  So gloves allow you to spread the droplet from location to location,   your hands are built to withstand the droplets, the problem it that most people touch their face 20 + times an hour. when your hands have the virus on them, and then you touch your face that is where the problem comes into play.  people wearing gloves just manage to spread it to each item they touch making it more widespread.  Unless your working with a family member with Covid 19, let the professionals have the gloves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 6:36 AM, stethant said:

I'm voting maybe not. It took 2 years to wash out the Spanish flu after 1918 and this will be no different. Fill a stadium with people who've already had Covid - then no problem.

 

Going to a game with tens of thousands of other people if you haven't had it already - not a chance.

There is no proof you can't get it twice, many professionals are expecting a rebound on this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

I was out this morning. They are only letting so many people in the grocery store at a time, shelves are all but empty and tempers are flaring. 

It was that way here 2-3 weeks ago, since then its been much better, inventory continued to arrive, stores limited hoarding (2 of something max) and people calmed down and started helping each other.  We are in regular contact with about a dozen of our neighbors with kids the same age as our daughters (and the elderly) and we know what people are looking for or need.  none of them will need for anything i have

Edited by millworkguy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Funniest thing is say the other day, woman walking around with gloves, gets what she needs,  walks out of the store and lights a cigarette and starts smoking with her gloves on.  She should have just licked everything she touched the past half hour.

 

And I loved the guy being so careful,  (also with gloves) when his phone rings he gets it out and puts it to his face.  

 

Just a false sense of security 

Edited by millworkguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Funniest thing is say the other day, woman walking around with gloves, gets what she needs,  walks out of the store and lights a cigarette and starts smoking with her gloves on.  She should have just licked everything she touched the past half hour.

 

And I loved the guy being so careful,  (also with gloves) when his phone rings he gets it out and puts it to his face.  

 

Just a false sense of security 

 

Haha, I ran into a few of those people as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Funniest thing is say the other day, woman walking around with gloves, gets what she needs,  walks out of the store and lights a cigarette and starts smoking with her gloves on.  She should have just licked everything she touched the past half hour.

 

And I loved the guy being so careful,  (also with gloves) when his phone rings he gets it out and puts it to his face.  

 

Just a false sense of security 

Social distancing is causing a false sense of security too. Social distancing helps slow the spread but doesn’t guarantee you won’t get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Social distancing is like peeing in a pool, if you are in the shallow and peeing there is a vary small chance the ones in the deep end will notice  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 7:23 AM, keggerz said:

And a couple/few hours later he said, “Whenever we’re ready, I mean as soon as we can, obviously. He then later added, “I can’t tell you a date but I thinks it’s going to be sooner rather than later.”

 

In other words Trump says a lot of stupid manure and should be ignored. He talks in platitudes and everything is great and huge, the best ever. Except this virus, which is no more than a common cold, maybe as bad a the flu...Nothing to worry about.  REMAIN CALM, ALL IS WELL.....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Funniest thing is say the other day, woman walking around with gloves, gets what she needs,  walks out of the store and lights a cigarette and starts smoking with her gloves on.  She should have just licked everything she touched the past half hour.

 

And I loved the guy being so careful,  (also with gloves) when his phone rings he gets it out and puts it to his face.  

 

Just a false sense of security 

I'm hearing that in places where people are using gloves a lot when shopping that the store parking lot, and the carts in the return rack are littered with the gloves. I guess once they're done with them its somebody else's problem. 

 

Here they are recommending people wear a mask in public, I guess they just figure we all have them, or we're crafters whole with sew our own. I'm not sure what I'll do, I wasn't planning to use them until required or recommended, even then only when I go out somewhere like the store. Not for a short walk around the block or to the neighborhood park. 

 

I also think they provide a false sense of security, they are of most benefit in helping the wear prevent spreading the virus if they have. They don't do much to prevent the person wearing it from getting the virus. And since my situation is near isolation alone at home (weekly trip to the grocery store is about the only other time I am inside and near others. I noticed more people wearing masks this weekend, especially at the grocery store (maybe half) but also on the hiking trails (25-30%). 

 

PS  I went for a motorcycle ride thru our parks, and also was at one that appeared overcrowded, but that was due to people parking on the access road, instead of trying to find a spot in a very large parking lot. As I left a park ranger was writing tickets, and another officer had the entrance blocked. I thanked them for trying to keep things in order. Oh they also took down the rims at the local basketball courts at the park, they were there late last week, but gone yesterday. Saturday was sunny and almost 70 here so everybody was out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes to masks while shopping, no on gloves.  Just wash your hands after you leave store, preferably on the way out if they have a bathroom accessible.  And/or hand santizer in the car.  I've been sanitizing every time my "environment" changes.  


Stay safe, iFriends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear nitrile/latex gloves in my job when dealing with contaminated or potentially contaminated items.  I certainly wear them when at the store; and I'll take them off and put new ones on if I touch produce.  I'll throw the last pair away when I get rid of cart and before I jump in car.  No reason not to do it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

I wear nitrile/latex gloves in my job when dealing with contaminated or potentially contaminated items.  I certainly wear them when at the store; and I'll take them off and put new ones on if I touch produce.  I'll throw the last pair away when I get rid of cart and before I jump in car.  No reason not to do it.  

 

One reason would be that not everybody has a supply of these gloves. And the more people want/need them, the harder they will be to find, just like masks that we're all expect to make on our own. 

 

Like Darin said wash or disinfect your hands when your environment changes, for me that is primarily when getting back into my car, and returning home. 

 

Also if you are using disposable gloves, please put them in the trash, don't leave them on the carts or in the parking lots. (I've heard that is becoming an issue in some places.) Not many grocery stores have trash cans in the lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a website that sells masks and is in the US so you'll get them fast. Unfortunately with shipping I paid over $50 for 50 masks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, millworkguy said:

There is no proof you can't get it twice, many professionals are expecting a rebound on this

I will bet against this, at least in the first year after infection and hopefully longer. It will rebound for sure when social distancing lets up but that will be with unexposed people getting infected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stethant said:

I will bet against this, at least in the first year after infection and hopefully longer. It will rebound for sure when social distancing lets up but that will be with unexposed people getting infected.

There are in fact already documented cases of people getting this twice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And how do things open back up again, before this is solved everywhere, (and even then, will you really believe it is) otherwise this may just happen again 

Edited by millworkguy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I can tell, we may not be totally rid of it until we get a vaccine, which could be a while.  So not really clear what happens in the mean time honestly.  However, this should be our worst go-around 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, millworkguy said:

There are in fact already documented cases of people getting this twice

This is false. Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, stethant said:

This is false. Link?

My wife working in a hospital, and it has been mentioned for the ceo down, while the common perception you can't catch it again remain, there are cases, and its not known how long (and if you are truly immune) with antibodies.

 

 but s you asked so nicely:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-recovery-what-happens-after-covid19/

 

"Catching a coronavirus generally means that person is immune, at least for a time, to repeat infection. But doubts arose regarding COVID-19 in late February when a woman in her late 40s who had been discharged from hospital in Osaka, Japan tested positive a second time. There also a similar case with one of the Diamond Princess passengers, and another in South Korea. These were isolated cases, but more worrying was research from Guangdong province, China reporting that 14% of recovering patients had also retested positive."

 

Further sourced :

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/coronavirus/2020/04/can-you-catch-covid-19-twice

 

Reports of patients becoming infected a second time exist, but they are rare. A Japanese tour-bus guide suffered a second bout three weeks after having been discharged with a negative test result following a primary infection in late January

 

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-catch-twice/

 

The evidence so far shows that catching the disease twice is very rare, and that most infected people recover and develop immunity against it. However, it is not yet clear how long this immunity will last. 

When a journalist raised the case of the woman in Japan at the Prime Minister’s press conference on 16 March, the Chief Scientific Advisor, Sir Patrick Vallance said: “In any infectious disease there are cases where people can catch something again. They’re rare. There’s nothing to suggest that this is a common occurrence in this disease, but we are learning as we go along.”

 

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-catch-twice/

Edited by millworkguy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And in a more recent study, of 175 recovered people a third of them have very low to non detectable levels of the antibody that would prevent re-infection (in the short term)

 

https://www.newsweek.com/covid-19-reinfection-risk-questioned-after-low-levels-antibodies-found-recovered-patients-1496776

 

 the antibody for MERS in some cases was non detectable in less then 6 months

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, stethant said:

This is false. Link?

So, i think i'd rather be on the safe side, and not run around foolishly believing it isn't possible

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's safe to say that we don't know a TON about the disease. 

 

We don't know for sure if you can get the disease multiple times.  We don't know if warm weather will slow spread (most recent studies point to no).  We have NO IDEA what the long term affects may be.  

 

For now, I'd exercise caution where you can and be extremely financially frugal.  The economic impact from this virus may be worse than the disease itself.  I think we will continue to see clusters and social distancing to some extent until there is a vaccine which would be early 2021 best case.  


Stay safe huddlers.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, awahl63 said:

 

We don't know for sure if you can get the disease multiple times.  We don't know if warm weather will slow spread (most recent studies point to no).  We have NO IDEA what the long term affects may be.  


Stay safe huddlers.  

 

 This was one of the funniest things i had ever heard, there where cases in the caribbean, middle east, Australia and New Zealand when trump made that statement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 8:59 PM, millworkguy said:

And in a more recent study, of 175 recovered people a third of them have very low to non detectable levels of the antibody that would prevent re-infection (in the short term)

 

https://www.newsweek.com/covid-19-reinfection-risk-questioned-after-low-levels-antibodies-found-recovered-patients-1496776

 

 the antibody for MERS in some cases was non detectable in less then 6 months

 

On 4/8/2020 at 8:42 PM, millworkguy said:

My wife working in a hospital, and it has been mentioned for the ceo down, while the common perception you can't catch it again remain, there are cases, and its not known how long (and if you are truly immune) with antibodies.

 

 but s you asked so nicely:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-recovery-what-happens-after-covid19/

 

"Catching a coronavirus generally means that person is immune, at least for a time, to repeat infection. But doubts arose regarding COVID-19 in late February when a woman in her late 40s who had been discharged from hospital in Osaka, Japan tested positive a second time. There also a similar case with one of the Diamond Princess passengers, and another in South Korea. These were isolated cases, but more worrying was research from Guangdong province, China reporting that 14% of recovering patients had also retested positive."

 

Further sourced :

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/coronavirus/2020/04/can-you-catch-covid-19-twice

 

Reports of patients becoming infected a second time exist, but they are rare. A Japanese tour-bus guide suffered a second bout three weeks after having been discharged with a negative test result following a primary infection in late January

 

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-catch-twice/

 

The evidence so far shows that catching the disease twice is very rare, and that most infected people recover and develop immunity against it. However, it is not yet clear how long this immunity will last. 

When a journalist raised the case of the woman in Japan at the Prime Minister’s press conference on 16 March, the Chief Scientific Advisor, Sir Patrick Vallance said: “In any infectious disease there are cases where people can catch something again. They’re rare. There’s nothing to suggest that this is a common occurrence in this disease, but we are learning as we go along.”

 

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-catch-twice/

 

On 4/8/2020 at 8:59 PM, millworkguy said:

And in a more recent study, of 175 recovered people a third of them have very low to non detectable levels of the antibody that would prevent re-infection (in the short term)

 

https://www.newsweek.com/covid-19-reinfection-risk-questioned-after-low-levels-antibodies-found-recovered-patients-1496776

 

 the antibody for MERS in some cases was non detectable in less then 6 months

 

On 4/8/2020 at 9:01 PM, millworkguy said:

So, i think i'd rather be on the safe side, and not run around foolishly believing it isn't possible

OK so let's unpack these. For the fullfact.org and weforum links you cite - patients can shed virus for at least 50 days and during that time they can test positive, then negative, and back again. It doesn't mean the virus is infectious for that long. It just means you can intermittently detect virus genetic elements. The case of the Japanese woman testing positive - which is the basis of most of your links - is not evidence of getting infected twice. The newstatesmen link provides no evidence that people get infected twice.

 

You are entirely correct that MERS antibody levels wane over time but that Rxiv article you cite has not been peer reviewed. Antibody levels can wane and still be protective, as has been shown for a number of other viruses. 

 

Time will tell if you are correct or not but I would guess COVID will confer protection for at least a year, again based on what we know from other coronaviruses. I think it's great you are interested in this and doing whatever you can to protect yourself and all the rest of us. I wish more people thought carefully about this like you are.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.