[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioners - how are you handling the Titans/Steelers postponement?

NYpkBLUE22

I'm not sure there's really anything we can do.  If your WR gets sick and doesn't play you just sub someone else.  For those that have players from both teams, that really sucks.  Maybe they'll play in the bye weeks.  I suspect bigger platforms like Yahoo can correct the stats back to week 4.  But I don't think I can sub a player back in for their replacement after the game is completed.   I wonder if the local Yahoo IT can chime in here.

On a side note, it's not remotely surprising.  I've been from NY to Key West in the last two months and no place is more flippant about it than TN.  While many Davidson County bars are still closed, Williamson county (where a lot of the players and staff live) has been essentially open since June.  And because it's a highly professional environment, many people avoid testing.  The last numbers I saw a couple months ago showed that Williamson county tested 1/10th the number of people that Davidson county had.  

They will rearrange the schedule so that this is their bye week.  They'll have to mess with weeks 7 & 8, the regularly scheduled bye weeks.  It will affect at least one or two other teams in order to get the game on week 7 or 8.

Even if this  works now, there is no assurance that it will work if/when we get a deluge of subsequent postponements for more teams in the weeks ahead?  This Titans-Steelers solution is a bandaid which won't work if/when multiple other teams test positive.  Fingers crossed!

Edited by Dcat

1 hour ago, 1fastdoc said:

I'm not sure there's really anything we can do.  If your WR gets sick and doesn't play you just sub someone else.  For those that have players from both teams, that really sucks.  Maybe they'll play in the bye weeks.  I suspect bigger platforms like Yahoo can correct the stats back to week 4.  But I don't think I can sub a player back in for their replacement after the game is completed.   I wonder if the local Yahoo IT can chime in here.

On a side note, it's not remotely surprising.  I've been from NY to Key West in the last two months and no place is more flippant about it than TN.  While many Davidson County bars are still closed, Williamson county (where a lot of the players and staff live) has been essentially open since June.  And because it's a highly professional environment, many people avoid testing.  The last numbers I saw a couple months ago showed that Williamson county tested 1/10th the number of people that Davidson county had.  

All of this... I live in Williamson County and they actually shut down a couple of schools this week. Maybe 30% of people are wearing masks in public and restaurants are packed. I'm no scientist, but... ah, never mind.

28 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

We added roster spots just for this scenario. It's a crap shoot 

Same here, added roster spots and IR spots for Covid list players. Treat it like a bye, it’s all you can do

Edited by Finn5033

20 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I think i covered a lot of variables in my leagues months ago... http://forums.thehuddle.com/topic/540255-covid-proposal/

I don't think this is an issue that should've surprised anyone.

Not a surprise at all.  But, I've seen a lot of unnecessary rule changes, particularly in dynasty leagues, for things that may or may not happen.  Adding extra blind bidding $$.  Adding extra waivers runs.  Posting secondary/contingency lineups.  Extended taxi squads.  Extending roster declarations into mid-season.  I'm in four dynasty leagues, and we've needed none of that so far.  But, had we added those things, I think it would have done more harm than good.  Even with what's going on this week, with TEN-PIT, none of those drastic changes are really needed.  Short of making IR more flexible (as well as reactivating IR players), we're running with the same rules we always have.  

If shlt really hits the fan, then sure.... we'll talk about adding a second waivers run later in the week.  I don't see us needing to do much else.  Let's face it... If we get to the point where multiple NFL games are being cancelled last-minute, the season is probably going to be a bust, at least in terms of FF, and most likely in terms of "real" football as well.  If that happens, so be it.  

17 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I don't think you read my covid changes for my leagues. It wasn't difficult to come up with solutions in advance that is fair to all owners

Agree, it wasn't hard. Have a strong bench and deal with whatever comes along. That was our understanding. 

Edited by League_Champion

12 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I don't think you read my covid changes for my leagues. It wasn't difficult to come up with solutions in advance that is fair to all owners

I did.  And there's nothing wrong with any of it.  I'm just saying that I disagree about it being too late for decisions.  I'd rather make decisions as needed than make a bunch of changes that may or may not be needed.  

1 hour ago, Caveman_Nick said:

In most of my leagues we are just rolling with it.

This is what we are doing in my long time local. Rolling with the punches...added two extra roster spots at the draft. Better have good depth and waiver wire accumen. 

Before the season started, I added 10 IR spots in Yahoo for Covid only IR.  But as of now the NFL (or the teams) hasn't added the Titans and Steelers players to the Covid 19 IR list.  So it seems a positive Covid test is required to land on this list.  

For this PIT @ TEN game postponement, the swapping around of bye weeks will mean no games lost, but that won't work if multiple games postponed and especially after teams have had their bye weeks.  

I have toyed with the idea of adding 4 BN spots for these situations only, but that would require lots of policing and would totally mess up how waivers are executed.  I'm leaning toward the 'tough titties' approach, as Yahoo doesn't allow commish to override a players status to put them in IR, they must have IR, PUP, or O (out) designations to be in IR spots in Yahoo.  

Edited by mromain
clarification of which game I'm referring to

What I did with my league was starting today I am allowing each team affected by this make a covid ir waiver for a position player to replace individual players. Example: there is a team that has pitt defense and boswell kicker for pit. Our league only allows two waivers per week so this team had already used their two waivers for other needs. All covid ir waiver players also have to be dropped back into the waiver pool after this week regardless of how well they do.

We took a different tack. The NFL says they're rescheduling but there is no official announcement of how that will work. IF there is no announcement by Sunday, then the Titans and Steelers players can go on COVID IR on Sunday and be replaced. IF there is an official rescheduling before Sunday, then it's treated as a bye week, which is what most leagues are doing.

What people speculate the NFL may do and what the NFL actually ends up doing are two different things. I think that the reason they're waiting to make a formal announcement on a Titans-Steelers reschedule is to 1) figure out if Titans will have to miss more than one game and 2) see what happens with the Vikings and get a sense of how large this problem may ultimately end up being. Remember, based on incubation period, if Vikings are going to turn positive it will be Friday through Sunday.

If you treat this week as a bye, and the NFL ultimately does not (for whatever reason), then the Titans and/or Steelers players may be out more than all the other players. So we hedged with the above plan.

ETA: This is moot now - NFL made official announcement.

Edited by stethant

On 10/1/2020 at 4:45 PM, Gopher said:

I did.  And there's nothing wrong with any of it.  I'm just saying that I disagree about it being too late for decisions.  I'd rather make decisions as needed than make a bunch of changes that may or may not be needed.  

It certainly was not too late to do something. I wanted to talk about it in the offseason think it was , my co-commish figured it would blow over. I didn't believe it, but he started the league and many who are not our co-workers (or former ones) are his friends, so I let him have final say. Then this week happened, and he came to me saying "I'm hearing some leagues are allowing teams to designate a substitute to use if the game in question is not played. We discussed it a bit, and by the time we were going to post it the PIT-TEN game was take off the week 4 schedule and made a bye. So we waited, then Saturday happened, and we went with our original plan. I posted thru the league site, but some people don't always see those messages so I took the extra step of texting every owner with a player in question. All but one made a move, they had KC-D but didn't have another D and since they score so few points decided to wait and maybe do something Sunday morning. I added a kicker since I didn't want a zero from a spot that can easily get 5-6 points. 

Then yesterday it became more clear that NE-KC would happen today, and around 4PM I went back and made all the line-up changes to put the KC/NE players back in line-ups. I hope we don't have more of these, with games possibly played on Tuesday when it may be harder to make such line-up changes, close to when games become final and the day before our first waiver run of the week. 

My opponent lost multiple players including Big Ben.  I lost nobody.  I pulled Fitz off the Waiver wire so he had few QB2 options left. 

FF Karma Gods promptly Roshambo'd me in the nuts with a projected 30 point win that turned into a 30 point loss.  This game is so dumb.

16 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

My opponent lost multiple players including Big Ben.  I lost nobody.  I pulled Fitz off the Waiver wire so he had few QB2 options left. 

FF Karma Gods promptly Roshambo'd me in the nuts with a projected 30 point win that turned into a 30 point loss.  This game is so dumb.

Those kind of things back fire quite frequently. It rarely happens in our league since each roster move costs $2 and most guys are too cheap to waste that on trying to block somebody from adding a player they need.