[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton, done as Saints' HC?

irish

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-head-coach-sean-payton-could-take-year-off-then-coach-for-new-team-per-report/

If this actually happened, expect Jerry Jones, who wants to sleep with Payton, to make a play for him. Maybe all that non-committal talk for McCarthy is tied to this?  

Edited by irish
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

But why would Payton want to go work for a dictator like Jones? The rumor is absurd to me. 

This may be more from the Cowboys' desired slant than what Payton wants. Payton may just want to take a break, take the year off and then get back into a prime spot. 

The Cowboys hearing this may want to try to get Payton. 

3 hours ago, irish said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-head-coach-sean-payton-could-take-year-off-then-coach-for-new-team-per-report/

If this actually happened, expect Jerry Jones, who wants to sleep with Payton, to make a play for him. Maybe all that non-committal talk for McCarthy is tied to this?  

My eyes! What have you done to my eyes?

• Haha 1

From the first linked story

It's thought maybe Payton would take a year off from coaching in 2022, but sources told NFL Media that if Payton did step away for a season, he would likely return to coach with a different team.

Wow those are some genius sources they have, I mean really who thinks he would take a year off and then return to the Saints. WTF are they going to do for a HC in between?

Saints have got a ton of issues, and if they lose Payton and are still a ? at QB they'll tumble down the NFL standings. 

If Payton doesn’t coach for the Saints this year it’ll be because he retires. He wouldn’t do better than the Saints. Still a very talented roster with great surrounding coaches/GM/scouting, and a very invested and supporting owner/community. There are very few jobs in the NFL that compared, and the Cowboys aren’t one of them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shaft said:

I was really surprised and somewhat disappointed in how he used Kamara this past year. Something just seemed off. 

What does @rajncajn know about this rumor? 

What's an offseason without rumors of Payton going to Dallas? These rumors have swirled every single year there's ever been a question about who's coaching Dallas.

Seriously, why would Payton want anything to do with Dallas while Jerry Jones is running the show? How could anyone possibly be able to compare 'this is your team to run however you want, for as long as you want' Gayle Bentz and 'whatever you want to do, I'll make it work. You do the football part, I'll do the financial part' Mickey Loomis with 'the buck starts and stops with me' Jerry Jones?

• Like 1

Basically, this whole thing boils down to Payton being on vacation and not talking to reporters, which he does every off-season prior to the senior bowl, so reporters say that Payton is not committed to coach the Saints.

7 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Basically, this whole thing boils down to Payton being on vacation and not talking to reporters, which he does every off-season prior to the senior bowl, so reporters say that Payton is not committed to coach the Saints.

In other words the usual crappy TMZ style journalism we've all become accustomed to. I'm amazed that anybody in sports talks to these people, they all seem to twist things around and try to create drama filled tabloid pieces. I swear about 90% of "according to our source" stories are complete BS, based on who knows who as the source. 

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

They're figuring that one of these years, they'll be right. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

In other words the usual crappy TMZ style journalism we've all become accustomed to. I'm amazed that anybody in sports talks to these people, they all seem to twist things around and try to create drama filled tabloid pieces. I swear about 90% of "according to our source" stories are complete BS, based on who knows who as the source. 

This post shocks me.

Hate to see it,  but I don't blame him. These last several years have obviously taken their toll. Certainly going to miss him on the sideline,  but hope he takes a network job. I still don't think he's leaving to go to another team, but whatever he does I'll always be appreciative for what he did for the Saints and the fans. I just think he's burned out as a coach and having to deal with the NFL organization. When he quit the competition committee I guess we should have seen the writing on the wall. I'd really love to see him put out a tell all book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, irish said:

According to what Gayle Benson told Glazer,  Payton had told her that he was considering retirement and that she asked him to think it over while he was on vacation. So, yes, he was on his annual vacation when I said that and returned this week to let the team know his decision.

Edited by rajncajn