[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade - PHI/NOS

Big John

Looks like Saints are trading future picks to get more top picks this year. 

If you put aside the late round picks

Saints are trading their first this year, first next year and second the following for 2 first round picks in this draft. 

Reading that the Saints 101st pick in this draft was from a compensatory pick, they still have their 3rd, these 2 firsts and a 2nd round pick (49). 

Going after a QB seems the  most likely reason for this move. 

Good trade from the Eagles perspective, spread out that capital they had, instead of 3 firsts in 2022, its 2 in 2022, 2 in 2023 and 2 seconds in 2024. 

Edited by stevegrab

15 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Paging @rajncajn -- what are the Saints up to here?

I really think they liked a WR and Tackle in this draft a lot so they tried to make moves to be early in the draft. So if you look at it if the Saints do well this year and their 1st rounder next year is way in the back of the pack then they won this trade. The value of the Eagles 1st next year from the saints will not be as good at pick 19 that the Saints gained this year. Also, Saints still have a 2nd and 3rd still in the draft. Very front heavy this year. Only missing a few small piece to make this team a playoff contender this year. This draft can be a cheap way to address these issues and then have a lot of money left over to pick up some free agents to help. Saints never been about quantity in the draft. They try to find quality with their picks. This year I hope they can get quality with the quantity they finally have this draft class. Dont get me wrong though some of those picks have fell through but majority of the time the draft picks have done well or phenomenal. 

Just now, CrazyCajun said:

I really think they liked a WR and Tackle in this draft a lot so they tried to make moves to be early in the draft. So if you look at it if the Saints do well this year and their 1st rounder next year is way in the back of the pack then they won this trade. The value of the Eagles 1st next year from the saints will not be as good at pick 19 that the Saints gained this year. Also, Saints still have a 2nd and 3rd still in the draft. Very front heavy this year. Only missing a few small piece to make this team a playoff contender this year. This draft can be a cheap way to address these issues and then have a lot of money left over to pick up some free agents to help. Saints never been about quantity in the draft. They try to find quality with their picks. This year I hope they can get quality with the quantity they finally have this draft class. Dont get me wrong though some of those picks have fell through but majority of the time the draft picks have done well or phenomenal. 

I think they're after Garrett Wilson if it's WR.  He fits well with Michael Thomas' skillset.

My highly inaccurate crystal ball is telling me that:

Saints are positioning themselves to make another move up for a QB they like this year that can spend a year behind Winston before taking over next year.

Eagles still have two 1sts this year that they can use, and now have more ammo next year to move up if they decide they want to move on from Hurts, with next year's QB class projected to be better than this year's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Country said:

Saints are positioning themselves to make another move up for a QB they like this year that can spend a year behind Winston before taking over next year.

Honestly I think that is a HUGH mistake, unless they covet Malik Willis.  Which is possible, I guess.  

Just now, darin3 said:

Honestly I think that is a HUGH mistake, unless they covet Malik Willis.  Which is possible, I guess.  

I wouldn't say I disagree with your assessment, I just find it odd that they would make this kind of move before the draft without a plan of packaging the two picks this year. Adding the extra pick this year in the mid 1st where they already had a selection without an idea of exactly who is there just strikes me as an odd move to make on it's own.

I agree with the Cajun. I think they want to go Tackle/WR with these picks. They're both really big needs that they haven't addressed in the offseason and they didn't really have the picks to get potential starters. I could potentially see them taking a QB if someone they really like drops, but I don't think that's the case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rajncajn said:

I agree with the Cajun. I think they want to go Tackle/WR with these picks. They're both really big needs that they haven't addressed in the offseason and they didn't really have the picks to get potential starters. I could potentially see them taking a QB if someone they really like drops, but I don't think that's the case.

I think the Saints got fleeced, and the Eagles still jump them at 15. Everyone knew Roseman would trade at least one of those picks for a 1st next season but I'm shocked the Saints did it now without even knowing who'll be available. 

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I think the Saints got fleeced, and the Eagles still jump them at 15. Everyone knew Roseman would trade at least one of those picks for a 1st next season but I'm shocked the Saints did it now without even knowing who'll be available. 

FWIW

Maybe Eagles refused to do the trade otherwise,  I guess we'll see. I'm hoping the Saints are playing everyone with all the QB interest. 

34 minutes ago, Big Country said:

That was one of my 1st thoughts as well, I was also wondering if they were just playing defense,  to stop a team trading up ahead of them - Pitts, det 1nd 1st 

Just now, rajncajn said:

FWIW

Maybe Eagles refused to do the trade otherwise,  I guess we'll see. I'm hoping the Saints are playing everyone with all the QB interest. 

It's not an even trade if next year is considered a better, premium draft, especially for QBs. The Saints should get a nice WR with one of those picks though. 

Just now, millworkguy said:

That was one of my 1st thoughts as well, I was also wondering if they were just playing defense,  to stop a team trading up ahead of them - Pitts, det 1nd 1st 

The Saints messed up by not getting #15 from the Eagles to jump them. That could come back to haunt the Saints, especially if the Eagles trade out again. 

14 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

It's not an even trade if next year is considered a better, premium draft, especially for QBs. The Saints should get a nice WR with one of those picks though. 

The Saints pick next year wouldn't be high enough to get a QB anyway and even if they traded out of the 1st this year for a pick next year it still wouldn't guarantee them a top 3 pick.

Edited by rajncajn

5 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Rajn - thoughts on Garrett Wilson and how he would mesh with fellow OSU alum Michael Thomas?  I think that would be a nice 1-2  punch for Winston.

I think he'd be outstanding,  but I doubt he'll be there at 16.

1 minute ago, rajncajn said:

I think he'd be outstanding,  but I doubt he'll be there at 16.

Yeah, probably not.  Although @DMD thinks he'll go to the Steelers at #20... after Olave at #16 (formerly the Iggles).

I dunno.  A lot of outlets has him as WR1, but some folks think London is the top dog.  It'll be interesting to see.

14 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

so, Jameis Winston?

What about him? Put him behind a solid line with Michael Thomas, one of the top receivers in this draft and Kamara in the backfield (provided his suspension isn't too long) and Winston will absolutely thrive.