[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kyler Murray not expected to play for Cardinals without new contract

League_Champion

50 minutes ago, boltnlava said:

. When things went just a little sideways his finger pointing and lack of leadership showed. Maybe I'm wrong but Baker and Murray have similarities in this I think.

Not to disagree,  but Murray is 3 years younger then Mayfield and while he may not have shown alot of leadership so far, I think Arizona has a couple of guys that have been around the league alot longer then him, that may hold alot of respect in the locker room (then what clev has) allowing Murray to not need to step up yet.  Leadership can be taught. 

2 hours ago, boltnlava said:

I gotta say that I'm not sure paying a boatload of money to Murray is the way to go. When things went just a little sideways his finger pointing and lack of leadership showed. Maybe I'm wrong but Baker and Murray have similarities in this I think.

I agree with all if this.  But Murray has elite speed and athleticism where Mayfield seems to have a sneaky athleticism with some elusiveness that doesn't fly off the page.  They aren’t "very similar" but they aren't completely lacking comparisons either.

I just think it's a bit ridiculous to label Murray as an underachiever when you look at the whole package. Maybe in a year or two. He's done some great things for parts of seasons and then seems to falter as the season goes on.

I mean...hasn't Murray 'achieved' more than most 1st round QBS?  If Murray is mistake pick then what the heck were Paxton Lynch, Josh Rosen, and Johnny Manziel?  

I get Darin's reaction because LC seems to be non stop exaggeration with a Baker Mayfield obsession.  

Which results in a bizarre sexual tension with Stevegrab.:scared:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

I agree with all if this.  But Murray has elite speed and athleticism where Mayfield seems to have a sneaky athleticism with some elusiveness that doesn't fly off the page.  They aren’t "very similar" but they aren't completely lacking comparisons either.

I just think it's a bit ridiculous to label Murray as an underachiever when you look at the whole package. Maybe in a year or two. He's done some great things for parts of seasons and then seems to falter as the season goes on.

I mean...hasn't Murray 'achieved' more than most 1st round QBS?  If Murray is mistake pick then what the heck were Paxton Lynch, Josh Rosen, and Johnny Manziel?  

I get Darin's reaction because LC seems to be non stop exaggeration with a Baker Mayfield obsession.  

Which results in a bizarre sexual tension with Stevegrab.:scared:

Wait, are you somewhat agreeing with LC? :o

8 hours ago, boltnlava said:

I gotta say that I'm not sure paying a boatload of money to Murray is the way to go. When things went just a little sideways his finger pointing and lack of leadership showed. Maybe I'm wrong but Baker and Murray have similarities in this I think.

That's kind of how I feel. My vibe is all off about this guy. The work ethic thing in particular. I could very well be wrong but this feels like a trap almost. 

I don’t think Murray deserves top level money but he is a much better player than Mayfield. I don’t blame the Cardinals if they stand firm. Murray only hurts himself if he sits out. He needs to play, have a great season and then he’ll likely get what he wants.

One big difference between Mayfield and Murray, one had 3 head coaches and 3 offensive coordinators in his first 3 seasons, the other has had 3 years in the league all with same coach and offense. 

Mayfield also had a serious injury last year, and should have sat out some, instead he continued and played really poorly. He certainly isn't as bad as he played last year, but some people cannot look at anything but the most recent past. 

Oh and Mayfield also helped lead his team to a playoff victory in his first 3 years, Murray hasn't. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

One big difference between Mayfield and Murray, one had 3 head coaches and 3 offensive coordinators in his first 3 seasons, the other has had 3 years in the league all with same coach and offense. 

Mayfield also had a serious injury last year, and should have sat out some, instead he continued and played really poorly. He certainly isn't as bad as he played last year, but some people cannot look at anything but the most recent past. 

Oh and Mayfield also helped lead his team to a playoff victory in his first 3 years, Murray hasn't. 

What I find interesting is both QB's had good to great running games and yet both came up way to short with that kind of support. 

19 hours ago, boltnlava said:

What I find interesting is both QB's had good to great running games and yet both came up way to short with that kind of support. 

Good point. Mayfield's 2020 season was very good and that is what many were expecting going forward, but his injury and other injuries on the team really derailed that. I also felt like Stefanski went away from what worked, which was moving Mayfield around more. Will be interesting to see what he does in the future, still light years ahead of most of the QBs the Browns drafted in the last 20+ years. 

20 hours ago, gilthorp said:

Other 1 playoff win QB's are Cousins, Watson, Dak, and Lamar. Jimmy G has 4.

It's a stupid stat.

Then all W-L info on QBs is stupid, and so is any claim of success based on the TEAM winning playoffs.

4 minutes ago, darin3 said:

You're right here.

But wrong here.

A contrasting opinion, how unique...

Many people talked about Murray not playing well down the stretch, and then not doing well in his playoff game (19-34 for 137yds 0TDs and 2 picks). The relevance of winning the playoff game is Mayfield played very well in his playoff win (21-34-263-3-0). He didn't play nearly as well in his 2nd playoff game, but the team still was in it and nearly won. 

Some here want to keep calling Mayfield a bust, because of an injury plagued season last year, and the team deciding to risk it all on a more talented QB with a ton of baggage. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

A contrasting opinion, how unique...

Many people talked about Murray not playing well down the stretch, and then not doing well in his playoff game (19-34 for 137yds 0TDs and 2 picks). The relevance of winning the playoff game is Mayfield played very well in his playoff win (21-34-263-3-0). He didn't play nearly as well in his 2nd playoff game, but the team still was in it and nearly won. 

Some here want to keep calling Mayfield a bust, because of an injury plagued season last year, and the team deciding to risk it all on a more talented QB with a ton of baggage. 

You could obviously tell he wasn’t right last year and had played pretty well in previous seasons, so I am surprised that there hasn’t been more interest in him. To me any team that is looking for a QB should be on the phone seeing what it would take to get Baker. Everyone knows Cleveland has moved on from him so I can’t imagine it would take much to get him. All they have to do is commit to 20mil for this season which is nothing for a starting QB these days. If it doesn’t work out you’re free and clear financially. You’re going to get his absolute best effort since it’s a contract year and he has a lot to prove.

I think clearly the lack of interest is about more than his play, or he would already be on another team

Edited by Finn5033
  • Like 2