[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton's next coaching gig?

rajncajn

Where and when do you think Payton goes back to coaching? Payton still has a lot of love for the Saints organization and ownership, but I don't think he'd undercut Dennis Allen's shot at coaching again. I think SP is done in NOLA for good. I DON'T think he'll coach for any other NFC South team, nor the Dolphins. I'm all in on the Chargers. Payton just moved to SoCal, the Chargers have a very good core team with an outstanding young QB and it's a major market, high profile team.

I'm also using this thread to give a shout to Kay Adams new show. Big fan of Kay and really like the format.

Edited by rajncajn

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Yeah I never really understood the Cowboys thing.  I don't know if Payton would want to put up with Jerrah's antics and heavy-handedness.

I could see him in LA.  

I guess that would also eliminate the Browns (Haslam is another meddling owner who thinks he is some kind of football genius). I would not be surprised to see Stefanski be the fall guy if there is a bad season. 

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Yeah I never really understood the Cowboys thing.  I don't know if Payton would want to put up with Jerrah's antics and heavy-handedness.

I could see him in LA.  

One of the things he specifically said in the video is going somewhere that the entire front office works together with a common goal. In Dallas is Jerry's way is the only way. I can't see Payton going for that.

8 hours ago, 6kings said:

Going to cost at least a first rounder where ever he goes 

I forgot the Saints still have rights to him as an NFL coach and will have to "trade" him to another team. 

With Rhule being fired there already appears to be talk of the Panthers, but they may not want to part with their first round pick since they may be looking to draft a QB.

18 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I forgot the Saints still have rights to him as an NFL coach and will have to "trade" him to another team. 

With Rhule being fired there already appears to be talk of the Panthers, but they may not want to part with their first round pick since they may be looking to draft a QB.

Payton ain't going there.

He's a coach that goes where he can win a Super Bowl NOW.  That eliminates the Panthers on top of the fact they are in the same division as the Saints. 

6 hours ago, 6kings said:

Going to cost at least a first rounder where ever he goes 

Speculation is all over the place. I've heard anywhere from multiple 1sts to a 5th round pick. I'm not holding my breath for anything.

23 hours ago, darin3 said:

I could see him in LA.  

22 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Same, why would he want to go there and deal with that circus? 

20 hours ago, rajncajn said:

One of the things he specifically said in the video is going somewhere that the entire front office works together with a common goal. In Dallas is Jerry's way is the only way. I can't see Payton going for that.

What's up with all the negativity? Think good thoughts. Payton was with DAL, he can return home.  Jerry won't live forever... I don't think...

10 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

Payton ain't going there.

He's a coach that goes where he can win a Super Bowl NOW.  That eliminates the Panthers on top of the fact they are in the same division as the Saints. 

I didn't say he is going to coach the Panthers, I said there was talk. I searched for news on Sean Payton and read a bit of an article talking about him as a candidate for the Panthers. I don't even think the author said there was a good chance of it happening. 

Its all speculation, nobody knows where he is going to end up, if he even returns to coaching. How many teams that could win a SB now are looking for a new coach? I guess some teams might actually fire a good coach just because they might get Payton, but that seems really short sighted. 

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

Perfect because Chargers fans are calling for Staley to be fired. Even mentions replacing him with Payton. 

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-world-calling-for-1-head-coach-to-be-fired-tonight

I know there is a lot of noise about Kingsbury not doing a good job and being on then hot seat, but is management/ownership really ready to can him after giving him a big extension? And then paying another boatload of money (as well as draft picks) to get Payton? I didn't think that was the way the Bidwells operate. 

In looking for news, I see stories talking about him possibly giving up play calling duties, some suggest that Murray should make his own play calls? Not even sure Brady, Brees or Peyton were doing that. 

Keep in mind, the vast majority of an NFL team's revenue comes from sources outside of game revenue, and whether the team is a contender or cellar dweller their revenue doesn't change much. That's why some owners (who look more at the bottom line than their chance to win a SB) don't fire coaches mid season, or while under contract. 

2 hours ago, boltnlava said:

ummmmm^^^^^^this.

yeah it's gotta be Chargers over Cardinals. Arizona is poorly managed, in addition to being poorly coached.

I think Lombardi is a larger problem than Staley. Well Lombardi and injuries. Why you put a governor on Herbert is entirely beyond me. Herbert is way more athletically talented than Brees. Makes zero sense.

• 2 weeks later...