[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL coaching carousel 2023 edition

stevegrab

Shane friggin Steichen? 

I can tell that my team hasn't been in the head coach search for a few years, because some of these folks getting jobs are complete unknowns. 

Guess I don't follow the Eagles closely, or he isn't mentioned much as the OC during games. He was the Eagles OC last 2 seasons and Chargers OC the year before that. But he was just a quality control coach less than 10 years ago before rising up the ranks with the Chargers. 

He is expected to be a big part of the Colts new offense with a rookie QB taken in the top 5 picks of the first round. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35657690/indianapolis-colts-officially-hire-shane-steichen-head-coach

Panthers HC Frank Reich hires former Colts/Lions HC Jim Caldwell to join his staff as a senior assistant. He will work with the offense, while recently hired special assistant Dom Capers works with the defense. 

Sounds like the Panthers brass is happy with Reich's plan and a staff loaded with NFL experience, compared to Rhule who has virtually none and brought a mostly college staff with him. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35657966/ex-colts-lions-hc-caldwell-joins-panthers-staff

(These stories follow one right after each other on ESPN as I scroll down.)

5 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Did he officially sign? I thought there was a hang up, my bad. 

He hasn’t signed but deal was done. I suppose he could back out and sign with Philly. What a dick move that would be. 😂

But money talks these days and Philly isn’t a bad spot to land right about now.

33 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Eric Bieniemy interviewing for the Commanders OC position. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/15/chiefs-eric-bieniemy-commanders-offensive-coordinator-job

Why would he want that job? Isn't he supposed to be a HC candidate? Why move to a crappy team to do the same job? 

All this Bieniemy talk got me thinking..... maybe he's just a sh*tty interview?  All of these woke sports talk radio hosts getting all bent out of shape with other candidates getting jobs (Kliff Kingsbury, etc.) before him... ever stop to think maybe he just doesn't interview well?  Yeah, sure his resume is sparkling, but maybe ownership and the GM just don't get warm & fuzzies when they talk to him about the process of making their franchise a winner.  I've reviewed hundreds of awesome resumes, only to interview the person and think "wow, this guy is a stiff".  Sometimes personality and fit matter.  Maybe Bieniemy is just better suited to being an OC.  Just a thought.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, darin3 said:

All this Bieniemy talk got me thinking..... maybe he's just a sh*tty interview?  All of these woke sports talk radio hosts getting all bent out of shape with other candidates getting jobs (Kliff Kingsbury, etc.) before him... ever stop to think maybe he just doesn't interview well?  Yeah, sure his resume is sparkling, but maybe ownership and the GM just don't get warm & fuzzies when they talk to him about the process of making their franchise a winner.  I've reviewed hundreds of awesome resumes, only to interview the person and think "wow, this guy is a stiff".  Sometimes personality and fit matter.  Maybe Bieniemy is just better suited to being an OC.  Just a thought.

For some people there can ever only be one explanation and there's no real point in trying to offer anything different. 

Local news had an interesting tidbit, with recent hires there are 4 NFL coaches with Northeast Ohio roots, not Just Ohio, but Cleveland-Akron-Canton area specifically. 

TEN - Mike Vrabel - born in Akron, played at Walsh Jesuit (Akron area private school) and Ohio state

LAC - Brandon Staley - born in Perry Ohio (CLE suburb), and played at Perry HS, then Dayton 

LV - Josh McDaniels - born in Barberton (Akron suburb), played at Canton McKinley (a powerhouse 20+ years ago) at small D-3 school John Carrol 

IND - Jonathan Gannon - born in Cleveland, played at St. Ignatius (a perennial powerhouse)

They also mentioned that Gannon was likely to tag Browns QB coach Drew Ptezing as his OC. They worked together on the Vikings staff for several years in the 2010s. He also mentioned taking some of what he learned play at St. Ignatius, where their legendary coach Chuck Kyle just recently retired.

16 hours ago, darin3 said:

Two crying responses?  Weird.

• Sad 1