[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL coaching carousel 2023 edition

stevegrab

9 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

PM...I don't agree with giving players that type of leverage in an interview process. Perhaps I am reading more into that he will be "involved".

Well the whole Ravens situation seems a little messy. They didn't sign Lamar to a long term contract, he doesn't have a great year really, and now they are involving him in the OC search so it is all a bit messy. Not sure how I feel about players being involved in the process. Agreed that it all depends on the level of involvement. If I am bouncing ideas off my QB, what they would like, who they work well with, fine. But final decisions are for management. 

15 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Well the whole Ravens situation seems a little messy. They didn't sign Lamar to a long term contract, he doesn't have a great year really, and now they are involving him in the OC search so it is all a bit messy. Not sure how I feel about players being involved in the process. Agreed that it all depends on the level of involvement. If I am bouncing ideas off my QB, what they would like, who they work well with, fine. But final decisions are for management. 

Eric DeCosta is probably one of the best GMs in the NFL.  He succeeded one of the best GMs ever, too.  The Ravens franchise has done smart things for quite some time now.  Maybe they're just keeping Lamar informed as to who they're looking at specifically for the purpose of pandering to him in order to get him to resign.

Maybe this is dumb but I could actually see Lamar jumping ship and going to the Jets.

Edited by darin3

I'd be thrilled if Lamar left the AFC North. I think it was stupid not to resign him before now. He's a proven winner and league MVP, not Kyler Murray. (Now that was a signing that's going to become problematic, QB coming back from torn ACL was already a knock, change at HC could also impact him. )

4 hours ago, darin3 said:

Eric DeCosta is probably one of the best GMs in the NFL.  He succeeded one of the best GMs ever, too.  The Ravens franchise has done smart things for quite some time now.  Maybe they're just keeping Lamar informed as to who they're looking at specifically for the purpose of pandering to him in order to get him to resign.

Maybe this is dumb but I could actually see Lamar jumping ship and going to the Jets.

you think?
Then why are they including him in the OC search? I think firing the OC was done to appease Lamar and that they are on the path to a long-term deal.  Jets?  Poorly run, although Joe Douglas has done some good things, he has also blown two top tier 1st round picks.  Becton and Zach Wilson.  That's some serious stuff.  Well the Ravens survived Kyle Boller.  

While speaking with reporters at the team’s end of season availability on Thursday, head coach John Harbaugh said that there is a “200 percent” chance Jackson stays with the Ravens next season.

“There’s no question about it. Lamar Jackson is our quarterback. He’s been our quarterback. Everything we’ve done in terms of building our offense and our team, how we think in terms of putting people around him is based on this incredible young man and his talent and ability.”

1 hour ago, gilthorp said:

He's not going to the Jets. 

He goes anywhere else in general he'll most likely flop.  Harbaugh and squad have done a great job covering up his inefficiencies over the years. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

While speaking with reporters at the team’s end of season availability on Thursday, head coach John Harbaugh said that there is a “200 percent” chance Jackson stays with the Ravens next season.

“There’s no question about it. Lamar Jackson is our quarterback. He’s been our quarterback. Everything we’ve done in terms of building our offense and our team, how we think in terms of putting people around him is based on this incredible young man and his talent and ability.”

Wow just 200% not 5000% or 8 billion percent? 

22 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Vikings fire Donatell, their DC. Welcome back Mike Zimmer! 🤪.  I kid, but it wouldn't be the worst idea, if he could behave himself and not act like the HC, which he may not be able to do. I think his give a damn level may be too low 

I was actually thinking the same thing. Maybe in some bizarro world NFL it might happen. :lol:

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Saw that. I know he said it for emphasis, but I hope Harbaugh realizes there's no such thing as 200%. LOL.

Cardinals interviewing Payton and Broncos bringing him back for a 2nd interview:

Sean Payton to interview with Cardinals - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Report: Sean Payton to have second interview with Broncos this week - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

I was certain before the season ended that he'd end up with the Chargers. Now I have no idea, honestly. IMO, the more suitors, the better for the Saints. I still don't think it'll be some crazy multiple pick deal, but it sounds a bit more promising now. So far in the mix:

Denver

Houston

Arizona

Carolina

Right now I think the best fit for both Payton and the Saints would be Houston, but I also think he'd be interested in working with Wilson. Arizona could have been up there as well, but the injury to Murray is a problem. I have no idea why he would want to go to Carolina, but I didn't see him leaving the Saints either, so you never know.

14 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Right now I think the best fit for both Payton and the Saints would be Houston, but I also think he'd be interested in working with Wilson. Arizona could have been up there as well, but the injury to Murray is a problem. I have no idea why he would want to go to Carolina, but I didn't see him leaving the Saints either, so you never know.

I agree, Houston makes the most sense. I can't imagine Denver, Arizona or Carolina. Russ is a pain in the ass, Murray is not an NFL QB (sorry people) and Carolina has crap to work with.