[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL coaching carousel 2023 edition

stevegrab

DEN DC I hear the decision is coming down to Vance Joseph or Rex Ryan. I was reading a story  that discusses the options. Initially it sounded like they thought its a no brainer to go with Rex based the different levels of success the two had both as HC and DC. But it does go on to point the difference in talent. 

Its also been over a decade since Ryan left coaching, the game changes and guys who sit out a long time become out of touch.

If Payton selects him he must believe he still has it.

Edited by stevegrab

On 2/15/2023 at 7:15 PM, darin3 said:

All this Bieniemy talk got me thinking..... maybe he's just a sh*tty interview?  All of these woke sports talk radio hosts getting all bent out of shape with other candidates getting jobs (Kliff Kingsbury, etc.) before him... ever stop to think maybe he just doesn't interview well?  Yeah, sure his resume is sparkling, but maybe ownership and the GM just don't get warm & fuzzies when they talk to him about the process of making their franchise a winner.  I've reviewed hundreds of awesome resumes, only to interview the person and think "wow, this guy is a stiff".  Sometimes personality and fit matter.  Maybe Bieniemy is just better suited to being an OC.  Just a thought.

Makes sense that EB joins the team that promotes sexual harassment in the workplace. After all, EB used to coordinate college women for recruits to get them to commit to Colorado.

Arrested 4 times as an NFL player or coach. Definitely the guy you want as the face of the billion $ company.

3 hours ago, Riffraff said:

Arrested 4 times as an NFL player or coach. Definitely the guy you want as the face of the billion $ company.

Yeah, he was involved in the recruiting scandal at CO and at one point was banned from Campus for grabbing a female by the neck and threatening her. He's got a lot of shady stuff on his resume, not just holding Andy's clipboard.

• Sad 1

Well I guess this is Bienemy's chance to get out of Reid's shadow, be the true OC play caller, also assistant head coach for a guy that is on the defensive side. Maybe he figured without this he'd never get serious consideration as a head coach. 

Of course he is going to have to succeed too, and WAS isn't exactly loaded with talent. 

9 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Well I guess this is Bienemy's chance to get out of Reid's shadow, be the true OC play caller, also assistant head coach for a guy that is on the defensive side. Maybe he figured without this he'd never get serious consideration as a head coach. 

Of course he is going to have to succeed too, and WAS isn't exactly loaded with talent. 

He's gonna end up the HC in Washington after Rivera has to either step down or gets canned, something he didn't see happening in KC.

45 minutes ago, irish said:

He's gonna end up the HC in Washington after Rivera has to either step down or gets canned, something he didn't see happening in KC.

Perhaps, but we don't even know if he can run an offense. I do agree that if he's still there in year 3 then he's probably the head coach. Rivera isn't going to make it that long. 

14 hours ago, irish said:

That's a distinct possibility, but far from a lock. And yes Reid isn't going anywhere so waiting behind him was pointless. Just seems like a pretty low talent offense to stake your career on.

27 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

That's a distinct possibility, but far from a lock. And yes Reid isn't going anywhere so waiting behind him was pointless. Just seems like a pretty low talent offense to stake your career on.

Agreed, I'm just throwing the thought against the wall as it could have merit. I certainly wouldn't have made that move. I'd continue to play under Reid, having success and hoping that parlayed into a HC gig. 

On 2/15/2023 at 4:59 PM, League_Champion said:

Eric Bieniemy interviewing for the Commanders OC position. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/15/chiefs-eric-bieniemy-commanders-offensive-coordinator-job

On 2/15/2023 at 5:33 PM, stevegrab said:

Why would he want that job? Isn't he supposed to be a HC candidate? Why move to a crappy team to do the same job? 

On 2/15/2023 at 5:43 PM, League_Champion said:

Because he'll actually get to call plays. Andy holds the chart, Bieniemy calls what Andy tells him to. 

On 2/15/2023 at 10:15 PM, darin3 said:

All this Bieniemy talk got me thinking..... maybe he's just a sh*tty interview?  All of these woke sports talk radio hosts getting all bent out of shape with other candidates getting jobs (Kliff Kingsbury, etc.) before him... ever stop to think maybe he just doesn't interview well?  Yeah, sure his resume is sparkling, but maybe ownership and the GM just don't get warm & fuzzies when they talk to him about the process of making their franchise a winner.  I've reviewed hundreds of awesome resumes, only to interview the person and think "wow, this guy is a stiff".  Sometimes personality and fit matter.  Maybe Bieniemy is just better suited to being an OC.  Just a thought.

On 2/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, stevegrab said:

On 2/19/2023 at 7:49 PM, League_Champion said:

Perhaps, but we don't even know if he can run an offense. I do agree that if he's still there in year 3 then he's probably the head coach. Rivera isn't going to make it that long. 

LeSean McCoy 'Shady' Towards New Commanders Coach Eric Bieniemy?

Former Kansas City Chiefs running back LeSean McCoy had some words about new Washington Commanders coach Eric Bieniemy. McCoy played for Bieniemy back in 2019.

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

For all of the praise surrounding the Washington Commanders' hiring Eric Bieniemy as their offensive coordinator, not everyone shares that sentiment.

Former NFL running back LeSean “Shady” McCoy, who has been vocal against Bieniemy in the past, thinks he’s just a product of the Kansas City Chiefs’ success.

“I wish him well, but Washington, don’t let the Chiefs’ success fool y’all,” McCoy tweeted. “The traits or skills you need to be a good coordinator, I haven’t seen or witnessed it.”

McCoy got drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the second round of the 2009 draft. Shady played 12 years in the NFL and played for four teams, making six pro bowls and two all-pro teams. He also won a Super Bowl with the Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

McCoy’s lone season in Kansas City came in 2019, which was Bieniemy’s second as its offensive coordinator. McCoy played in 13 games, nine of which he started. McCoy had 101 carries for 465 yards and four touchdowns.

“I’ve been in the rooms where he’s coaching,” McCoy said on Fox Sports show, Speak For Yourself. “He has nothing to do with the pass game at all. When the plays are designed, that’s Andy Reid.

“Now you go from the Chiefs where you can hide from Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid. Then you go to Washington, where you’ve got to call plays, you’ve got to run the meetings, you’ve got to run the installs.”

Former NFL running back Jamaal Charles, who played for the Chiefs from 2008 to 2016, came to Bieniemy’s defense, mentioning his character and what he learned from him during their time together.

“I have to disagree with you Shady,” Charles tweeted in response. “Bieniemy coach [sic] me for years. I learned so many things from EB and I keep in contact with him. A great husband and father. He deserves to be a head coach.”

Bieniemy became Kansas City’s offensive coordinator in 2018, the same year Patrick Mahomes became the team’s starting quarterback. In his five years as the OC, the Chiefs won two Super Bowls, while Mahomes was a two-time MVP and Super Bowl MVP.

Edited by Dcat

5 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I read what Shady said, may have some truth. The problem is he's a potentially disgruntled former employee and former RB who got phased out and Bienemy was a RB so likely had a lot to do with it. 

Shady spent one year on the team, Jamal Charles who was there much longer, and spent 4 years with Bienemy as the RB coach (but none with him as OC).

I'm sure there's some truth to what both say. I don't disagree with the general feeling that Bienemy may have very little to do with the Chiefs offensive success. But the hope would be he learned some stuff, considering how the "coaching tree" is a thing people often reference. These guys have the potential to learn and grow working with other talented people. 

PS  Thanks for those who pointed out the one year deals for Bienemy with the Chiefs were a mutual thing making it easier for him to take another job if he desired.