[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Cowboys DYK

keggerz

The Browns never played in a Super Bowl, but dominated for a decade (1946-55) with 7 titles and 10 straight championship game appearances. I was a little over a month old (and living in Bears territory) when they last won a championship in Dec 1964.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

The last (and only) NY Jets Superbowl (SBIII) win was exactly 198 days before Neil Armstrong stepped foot on the moon.

I remember BOTH events very well. At the time there was some tongue-in-cheek discussion as to which one was more miraculous. 😊

Hang in there man, all you need is a QB, at #13 there might still be one worth drafting.

3 hours ago, keggerz said:

The Cowboys last Super Bowl win is closer to when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon than today.

They haven't even made a SB 'appearance' for 27 years. And just today I realized that it's also been that long since they played in an NFC Championship Game!  I could have sworn that somewhere along the line they did, but I was wrong.

20 hours ago, Running With Daboll said:

They haven't even made a SB 'appearance' for 27 years. And just today I realized that it's also been that long since they played in an NFC Championship Game!  I could have sworn that somewhere along the line they did, but I was wrong.

They didn't even win that many playoff games during that span. Last SB win following 1995 season, 12 playoff appearances, only 4 wins to go with 8 one-and-dones including 5 straight in a 10 year span. Twice they had byes and still lost the first game (2007/16). 

You would think in that long of a drought there would be more than 2 teams that have more super bowls than Dallas but alas, there is not 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, whomper said:

You would think in that long of a drought there would be more than 2 teams that have more super bowls than Dallas but alas, there is not 

blah blah blah only Super Bowls matter, even if they were 25-50 years ago or more. But not NFL titles before the SB, they are meaningless. 

Sorry but if a Browns 1964 title means nothing, neither do SB wins from the 70s and 80s, even the late 90s, just more ancient history. 

15 hours ago, stevegrab said:

blah blah blah only Super Bowls matter, even if they were 25-50 years ago or more. But not NFL titles before the SB, they are meaningless. 

Sorry but if a Browns 1964 title means nothing, neither do SB wins from the 70s and 80s, even the late 90s, just more ancient history. 

Hey man you can count your titles when the league had 6 teams made up of part time construction workers. Thats fine by me 

Edited by whomper
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, whomper said:

Hey man you can count your titles were the league had 6 teams made up of part time construction workers. Thats fine by me 

That was the NHL until 1967.  The minimum teams in the NFL was 8 in 1943 due to wartime efforts.

6 minutes ago, whomper said:

Hey man you can count your titles when the league had 6 teams made up of part time construction workers. Thats fine by me 

Jim Brown and Otto Graham were construction workers? Even more impressive that they were still elite NFL players and put in the HOF. 

I count all titles, its a shame that the NFL basically tossed their own history in the toilet with the SB branding. The media and fans followed suit. And now a the Packers 2 SB wins in the 60s matter, but not the titles they won in 62 or 65 (the last year before SB), because the players were construction workers one year, and not the next.

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Jim Brown and Otto Graham were construction workers? Even more impressive that they were still elite NFL players and put in the HOF. 

I count all titles, its a shame that the NFL basically tossed their own history in the toilet with the SB branding. The media and fans followed suit. And now a the Packers 2 SB wins in the 60s matter, but not the titles they won in 62 or 65 (the last year before SB), because the players were construction workers one year, and not the next.

and 1961 for the decade.

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

exactly 

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

All he's saying is that it's been a minute. Nobody remembers 1964, especially in today's instant gratification culture. 

Yes I get that, but if a title from 1964 doesn't matter, why does one from 1966 (first SB) or 1976 (first PIT SB win), they're all ancient history (45-55 years ago) even to somebody that is almost 60 like myself. I often here "that was before the SB" and nonsense like Whomper offered about "6 teams and part time construction workers". That's nonsense, considering it doesn't happen in other sports due to some new name for the title. 

Heck even SBs from before 2000 are pretty damn long ago, especially if you're a fan that is 30 or less.

I remember Steeler fans in the 80s, 90s, into early 2000s still acting like they were reigning SB champs, when they hadn't won since 1979. (NFL was quite a bit different in the 70s than a decade or two later.) But hey they were SB trophies and always count no matter how old they are.