[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 9 Games Chat

FinishTheDrill

5 hours ago, DMD said:

Europe games are just bad for football. No one on the west coast wants to get up to watch a 6:30 AM game. The quality of football is always down. Two of the Top-5 quarterbacks just met and neither could break 200 passing yards.  It's a money grab to get more international viewers at the expense of the current fans.

I'm out of the loop a bit but they could play these games at 7pm in GER and it would keep the players body clocks on schedule and get prime time in GER, if that would matter. But then the NFL can't program for every second of Sunday a.m. 

F'ing Dak chokes again! 1st and 10 at the Eagles 11 with 27 seconds left and he gets sacked on the first play, almost fumbled too.  Prior to that, he steps out of bounds on the 2 point conversion which would've made it a 3-pt game. 

Edited by irish

22 hours ago, DMD said:

Europe games are just bad for football. No one on the west coast wants to get up to watch a 6:30 AM game. The quality of football is always down. Two of the Top-5 quarterbacks just met and neither could break 200 passing yards.  It's a money grab to get more international viewers at the expense of the current fans.

Personally, in theory, I don't mind having a game on at 6:30 in the morning.  I find it enjoyable to have a game on in the background while I go through and set my lineups for the 10 AM games.  Of course, with kids/sports and a million other things going on, it's rarely as enjoyable as I would like.  I've been coaching fall baseball for the past couple of months, and our games are at 10 AM every Sunday.  :crybaby: Whoever made that decision must hate football.  So, instead of being enjoyable, my Sunday mornings have been a mad rush of setting lineups/picks, etc. while putting together a baseball lineup, getting my son up/ready for the game, etc.  Then, on the field pre-game from 9-10, which is the worst possible time in terms of FF.  I'm just glad that yesterday was our last game.  

In terms of quality of play, I'm not sure.  There have been some pretty exciting Europe games over the years.  You might be right about quality of play, though. It's definitely hit and miss (yesterday felt like mostly a miss, at least from the MIA side). I'd say Thursday night games are worse, honestly.  One thing is for sure about the Europe games, though... they seem to be the most unpredictable games, in most cases.  

I guess I could take it or leave it.  It's a scheduling nightmare, and clearly teams haven't completely figured out how to handle it best travel-wise.  And, speaking strictly from a FF logistics perspective, it's just one more time during the week in which lineups/inactives need to be checked, which is a bit of a pain.  That said, just in terms of being a fan of football, it's pretty cool to see 45,000 Germans all wearing the jerseys of their favorite teams/players while singing in unison to John Denver.  There's definitely a following among European fans, and as long as that's the case, the NFL is going to make their money.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I'm out of the loop a bit but they could play these games at 7pm in GER and it would keep the players body clocks on schedule and get prime time in GER, if that would matter. But then the NFL can't program for every second of Sunday a.m. 

I know when the NFL games in London were being discussed they wanted a game time that was early enough that people could still ride the trains (public transit is very big in Europe compared to most of the US) to get back home afterward. That doesn't just include the immediate metro area, but often places 50-100 miles away that require multiple services to be running at that time. 

Playing the game in the standard 1PM Eastern time slot (7PM in Frankfurt) doesn't give them an extra game to have shown separately on some platform that needs games (NFLN) or is willing to pay for them (look at Amazon's deal for TNF or YouTube TVs deal for Sunday Ticket). 

15 hours ago, gilthorp said:

College. 

My point is football weekends have turned into brutal sh!tshows here. I see why people walk away from ff.

I figured OU was a college football reverence, as did the person asking for clarification. I think it is too funny that people started speculating what they thought it meant and how they didn't understand how things like over/under were fraudulent. 

My real team won, but they've also sucked for many years that I've been a fan. My fantasy team is likely to lose, and usually isn't very good. There was some decent football games including KC-MIA, DAL-PHI and BUF-CIN.  There was also a lot of crappy play and officiating that dragged the game to a halt. Lots of things I find annoying, but I'm not tuning out. 

PS  If I stopped playing FF I would enjoy football a lot more, and don't need FF to have an interest in the NFL. I think many are different, and only watch (and not lots of full games) because of FF.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Personally, in theory, I don't mind having a game on at 6:30 in the morning.  I find it enjoyable to have a game on in the background while I go through and set my lineups for the 10 AM games.  Of course, with kids/sports and a million other things going on, it's rarely as enjoyable as I would like.  I've been coaching fall baseball for the past couple of months, and our games are at 10 AM every Sunday.  :crybaby: Whoever made that decision must hate football.  So, instead of being enjoyable, my Sunday mornings have been a mad rush of setting lineups/picks, etc. while putting together a baseball lineup, getting my son up/ready for the game, etc.  Then, on the field pre-game from 9-10, which is the worst possible time in terms of FF.  I'm just glad that yesterday was our last game.  

In terms of quality of play, I'm not sure.  There have been some pretty exciting Europe games over the years.  You might be right about quality of play, though. It's definitely hit and miss (yesterday felt like mostly a miss, at least from the MIA side). I'd say Thursday night games are worse, honestly.  One thing is for sure about the Europe games, though... they seem to be the most unpredictable games, in most cases.  

I guess I could take it or leave it.  It's a scheduling nightmare, and clearly teams haven't completely figured out how to handle it best travel-wise.  And, speaking strictly from a FF logistics perspective, it's just one more time during the week in which lineups/inactives need to be checked, which is a bit of a pain.  That said, just in terms of being a fan of football, it's pretty cool to see 45,000 Germans all wearing the jerseys of their favorite teams/players while singing in unison to John Denver.  There's definitely a following among European fans, and as long as that's the case, the NFL is going to make their money.  

Well stated, I agree with much of that, including not being sure that the quality of play is that much below any other game. I think part of that is its a national broadcast, and everybody talks about it. 

The NFL is all about the $$$, they've proven that repeatedly with adding more teams, more games/weeks, more playoffs. The 17th game gave them more games to pull without hurting teams regular 8 home games. And they have at least one team (Jags) willing to play outside the US every year. 

16 hours ago, irish said:

F'ing Dak chokes again! 1st and 10 at the Eagles 11 with 27 seconds left and he gets sacked on the first play, almost fumbled too.  Prior to that, he steps out of bounds on the 2 point conversion which would've made it a 3-pt game. 

I rank on Dak more than anyone on earth probably , but I dont put this one on him. He made some mistakes but played a great game IMO. Steele should hand in his uniform. Dak got swarmed on that play. Never had the slightest chance to make a play . The difference in this game was the Eagles D line was better than our O line . I didnt like the officiating for most of the game too , but I blame the loss on their D making plays when needed . It was an awesome game 

4 minutes ago, whomper said:

I rank on Dak more than anyone on earth probably , but I dont put this one on him. He made some mistakes but played a great game IMO. Steele should hand in his uniform. Dak got swarmed on that play. Never had the slightest chance to make a play . The difference in this game was the Eagles D line was better than our O line . I didnt like the officiating for most of the game too , but I blame the loss on their D making plays when needed . It was an awesome game 

I agree on the Eagles' D and Dak being rushed on that play. However, he should've scored on the 2-point conversion.  Also, as a fan, when you find yourself saying on 1st and 10 from the 11, with 27 seconds left... we'll "F" this up, it's just how, and then we fail, you know it's been bad for awhile. 

Just now, irish said:

Also, as a fan, when you find yourself saying on 1st and 10 from the 11, with 27 seconds left... we'll "F" this up, it's just how, and then we fail, you know it's been bad for awhile. 

absolute truth. I said the exact same thing when the scenario unfolded . Cowboys fans approach it like, ill be pleasantly surprised if we score 

• Like 1

This is not the same Pollard I have seen the past few years.   Either he has lost a step somehow at 26, or his body is not made for playing the main running back.    With that said I have in a league so I might be biased.  He has a high of just 53 yards the past five games rushing and has not scored since week one. 

9 minutes ago, dougsullivan said:

This is not the same Pollard I have seen the past few years.   Either he has lost a step somehow at 26, or his body is not made for playing the main running back.    With that said I have in a league so I might be biased.  He has a high of just 53 yards the past five games rushing and has not scored since week one. 

He's putting up Zeke numbers, 😆 

I'm not sure there's been a bigger let down of a game than the Miami - KC. Such hype. Such expectations for a shoot out. Such a sorry excuse. Mahomes is down 5 pts per game from last year. His WRs are killing him. Taylor Swiftless games for Kelce and he's at 40/yds a game. I NEED her to cancel her upcoming tour so she can be at each game and get him those 100/ypg that he gets when she's there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dougsullivan said:

Agree. Plus super unimaginative play calling in the run game. It’s that same up the middle from shotgun run every single time. 

5 hours ago, dougsullivan said:

IMO this is a big piece of it.  I think it was a lot easier to be "the other guy", COP, 1b.  He isnt a power back.  He's crazy talented, but more finesse and wiggle than grinder.  They should have kept zeke and/or found another zeke and maintained the 1a 1b setup.  

I roster Rico for what I feel is the inevitable when they up his touches again.   

Edited by FinishTheDrill