[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rashard Mendenhall just letting it all hang out!

irish

13 hours ago, gijoerock said:

As an African American I'm claiming Kyle Shanahan as the coach for the black squad.  I don't want Todd Bowles on my sidelines

I was going to offer the best ever black head coach of the NFL, Hugh Jackson. 

9 hours ago, irish said:

How is someone confused by this?  

Somebody here is posting semi-random confused reactions to various posts that. Maybe they are just generally confused in life. Best to ignore such trolling behavior and not call attention to it. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Somebody here is posting semi-random confused reactions to various posts that. Maybe they are just generally confused in life. Best to ignore such trolling behavior and not call attention to it. 

The only thing they are confused about is their courage to actually say something negative and have to stand by it. I just consider the source and move on.

Either that or they just click the wrong emoji on their phone, which I've done on multiple occasions. :doh:

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

Reacting to reactions? So meta!

(Did I use Meta correctly? I'm too old to be a cool kid)

The only meta I know of is Metamucil changing their logo by emphasizing the "Meta" part of the name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Speaking of black head coaches, I personally have a lot of respect for Mike Tomlin, who was very good as a Vikings coach and seems to pull lots of rabbits out of hats in Pittsburgh. That team does not seem very talented recently and he keeps them competitive. Hell, he kept Antonio Brown relatively sane and productive long after it was going sour. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Speaking of black head coaches, I personally have a lot of respect for Mike Tomlin, who was very good as a Vikings coach and seems to pull lots of rabbits out of hats in Pittsburgh. That team does not seem very talented recently and he keeps them competitive. Hell, he kept Antonio Brown relatively sane and productive long after it was going sour. 

Interesting view, because many in the national media and Steeler nation say Tomlin needs to go. Guys like Pickett not blocking because "I don't want to get hurt" shows he is not a very good coach. Too much of a buddy to the players. That isn't just my view, and not hating on the Steelers because they're a rival. 

I suspect some of that view by those people is because they think the Steelers should be in the SB every couple years.

48 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Interesting view, because many in the national media and Steeler nation say Tomlin needs to go. Guys like Pickett not blocking because "I don't want to get hurt" shows he is not a very good coach. Too much of a buddy to the players. That isn't just my view, and not hating on the Steelers because they're a rival. 

I suspect some of that view by those people is because they think the Steelers should be in the SB every couple years.

You know more about the Steelers than I do, just my outside view is that the team hasn't been very talented from my POV yet stays competitive at least. Any coach who has been there for 10+ years without a championship (2009 is a long time ago) in that time is likely going to be taking a lot of flak, regardless of who they are. He hasn't had good QB play for 4 years let's say. It almost doesn't matter how good a HC you are if you aren't getting good QB play. If he is moved, he seems like a good example of change for change's sake. But hey, I'm just a guy who occasionally watches some of their football. 

Edited by purplemonster

28 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

You know more about the Steelers than I do, just my outside view is that the team hasn't been very talented from my POV yet stays competitive at least. Any coach who has been there for 10+ years without a championship (2009 is a long time ago) in that time is likely going to be taking a lot of flak, regardless of who they are. He hasn't had good QB play for 4 years let's say. It almost doesn't matter how good a HC you are if you aren't getting good QB play. If he is moved, he seems like a good example of change for change's sake. But hey, I'm just a guy who occasionally watches some of their football. 

See that's the thing, they don't win or even make the SB every 10 years like some believe.  The Steelers had a 25 year stretch without a SB win (one appearance) after winning 4 in the late 70s. They were a bad team from their inception up until the stretch in the mid 70s, and not a great team in the 2 decades after their dominant period. Then a stretch of about 10 years (2001-10) with 2 more SB wins and another appearance, and a couple AFC title game losses.  The Patriots were starting their dominance then, and the Colts were also a top AFC team. 

When Reid was fired (not resigned) by the Eagles I thought it was a change for change sake, he is clearly a very good coach and did a lot to bring that team to an elite leave. McNabb was good but not elite like Mahomes. Both he and his former team have exceled since then. 

Cowher joined PIT in 1996, a team that had made the playoffs just once in Knolls last 7 years winning one playoff game. 5 straight playoff appearances including 3 deep runs making one SB and 2 other AFC title games. But it was almost another 10 years after that run of playoff appearances before he won a SB (losing twice more in AFC title game along the way). In my view he was a much better coach, turned around a team on the decline. Tomlin took over 1 years after Cowher won that SB and won another in his 2nd year, with a team and culture largely built by Cowher. 

I would not be surprised to see him fired, and get another HC job. He is a good coach, but many in PIT feel the team needs to move on. Hopefully they understand that the Rooneys do not fire people quickly. They know that the next guy may not always be better, just different. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Pretty sure it was Pickens who didn't block, not Pickett.  

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Pretty sure it was Pickens who didn't block, not Pickett.  

Pickens.  D Johnson did the same thing a few weeks ago.  It was pathetic, and the player response was as bad.  Horrible.  Bench for season bad imo.  You're a pro football player.  If I, as a coach,  have to motivate you to block for your team you can go join the claypools and  toneys of the world  somewhere else.  

There isnt enough ridicule in the team room for guys like that, imo.  

I wonder how Tomlin actually feels about it. 

1 hour ago, FinishTheDrill said:

Pickens.  D Johnson did the same thing a few weeks ago.  It was pathetic, and the player response was as bad.  Horrible.  Bench for season bad imo.  You're a pro football player.  If I, as a coach,  have to motivate you to block for your team you can go join the claypools and  toneys of the world  somewhere else.  

There isnt enough ridicule in the team room for guys like that, imo.  

I wonder how Tomlin actually feels about it. 

You probably know this, but both Toney and Claypool are still employed by NFL teams. Toney is making about $2M and Claypool about $3M this season. 

33 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

You probably know this, but both Toney and Claypool are still employed by NFL teams. Toney is making about $2M and Claypool about $3M this season. 

And so?  

There are countless people employed.  heck, some are successful NFL players and affiliated with teams who have beaten women and done all sorts of things that are far above and beyond not blocking or hustling off-ball.  That they are employed is due to the fact that they are in the elite % of athletes.   They've shown a terrible lack of heart, something that is difficult or impossible to teach or instill in others.   IMO keep em.  Not locker room guys.  

They've shown their teamates who they are.  Neither DJ nor GP deserve to see the field again this season.  Of course they will.  But IMO at least, based upon their actions, they arent worthy .   

But yes, Steve, they make and will continue to make a lot of money.   Correct.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, FinishTheDrill said:

And so?  

There are countless people employed.  heck, some are successful NFL players and affiliated with teams who have beaten women and done all sorts of things that are far above and beyond not blocking or hustling off-ball.  That they are employed is due to the fact that they are in the elite % of athletes.   They've shown a terrible lack of heart, something that is difficult or impossible to teach or instill in others.   IMO keep em.  Not locker room guys.  

They've shown their teamates who they are.  Neither DJ nor GP deserve to see the field again this season.  Of course they will.  But IMO at least, based upon their actions, they arent worthy .   

But yes, Steve, they make and will continue to make a lot of money.   Correct.

Your prior post made it sound like the Claypools and Toneys of the world are washed up, I guess I misunderstood and you just meant horrible team mates. 

I am no fan of Pickens or others like him. 

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Your prior post made it sound like the Claypools and Toneys of the world are washed up,

Nope.   I dont recall using the phrase washed up, nor did I imply that.  

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I guess I misunderstood and you just meant horrible team mates. 

I am no fan of Pickens or others like him. 

Yep.  

• Like 1

https://l.smartnews.com/p-yQwVr/Dm1c6H

Well, that settles that.  Someone simulated the talked about all white versus all black team and it ends as you'd expect. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/22/2023 at 3:36 PM, irish said:

https://l.smartnews.com/p-yQwVr/Dm1c6H

Well, that settles that.  Someone simulated the talked about all white versus all black team and it ends as you'd expect. 

Has anybody ever shown there is any accuracy to these simulated games using Madden or anything else?

Doesn't the skill of the person controlling the team also matter?

30 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Has anybody ever shown there is any accuracy to these simulated games using Madden or anything else?

Doesn't the skill of the person controlling the team also matter?

Steve, nobody takes the Madden simulations seriously. My post above was sarcastic.   There are so many variables that go into the success of any team and one of them isn't a Madden simulation. 

3 minutes ago, irish said:

Steve, nobody takes the Madden simulations seriously. My post above was sarcastic.   There are so many variables that go into the success of any team and one of them isn't a Madden simulation. 

Yes it was a rhetorical question. It is beyond silly to think they mean anything, just more fun & games. 

Hope your kid recovered from their fever, lots of crud going around. I had a close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID, found out the night before I had cataract surgery scheduled, lucky I tested negative.

• Like 1