[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 10 Defensive Players of the last 30 years

Monsters Of The Midway

The unstoppable Reggie White

1. Reggie White "He was the absolute last man an offensive player wanted to see take the field."

2. Lawrence Taylor "L.T. was more outrageous, played in the star-making Big Apple, was the enforcer for a larger-than-life head coach in Bill Parcells, and had more personal demons than the Linda Blair in "The Exorcist." For all those reasons and two Super Bowl titles, Taylor has long been regarded as the greatest defensive player of the past 30 years, if not the greatest defensive player of all time."

3. Joe Greene "The leader and unquestioned star of the Steel Curtain that produced four Super Bowl victories in the '70s. Greene was twice named NFL defensive player of the year, an incredible accomplishment for an interior tackle. He once recorded five sacks in a game."

4. Mike Singletary "The 1985 Bears fielded the best defense I've ever seen. They surrendered 11 points per game and allowed just 10 points in three playoff games. Singletary was the heart, soul and brains of the unit. He was twice selected the NFL's defensive player of the year."

5. Randy White "The Manster -- half man, half monster -- was every bit as good as Joe Greene. He lacked Greene's supporting cast. From the defensive tackle position, Manster averaged eight sacks per season. He was also co-MVP of a Super Bowl."

6. Ronnie Lott "A member of the NFL's all-decade teams for the 1980s. Lott excelled as a corner and as a safety. Joe Montana and Jerry Rice stole most of the San Francisco headlines, but the 49ers won four Super Bowls in the '80s because of their top-shelf defense. Lott spearheaded that unit."

7. Deion Sanders "That's right. The man who never tackled anyone, according to his critics, is one of the NFL's greatest defensive players. Deion helped the Cowboys and the 49ers win Super Bowls. No quarterback wanted to throw in Deion's direction."

8. Bruce Smith "Retired as the NFL's all-time sacks leader, surpassing White by hanging on for a couple extra seasons with the Redskins. Smith played two seasons too long, but it in no way damaged his legacy, which included four Super Bowls. He was an outstanding pass rusher and was strong against the run, too."

9. Junior Seau "It's popular now to bad-mouth Seau and try to denigrate what he did in San Diego. The knock is that Seau was undisciplined and freelanced too much. Everyone on this list freelanced. Great players use their instincts. Seau carried a horrible San Diego team to the Super Bowl in 1995."

10. Ray Lewis "Is slightly overrated by most NFL experts. Some people actually put Lewis in the same classification as Dick Butkus and Mike Singletary. I don't. Lewis needs to do finish his résumé before I'm willing to consider him an immortal."

I think the list is good, but if the guy doesn't put Lewis in the same category as Butkus then why is he on this list instead of Butkus?

The only thing I'll say other than that, is, I remember a playoff game where Erik Williams, Cowboys RT OWNED Reggie. I think Reggie got one hurry all day. That was the year the Cowboys went to the superbowl in 95 or 96, I think. Barry Switzer with Jimmy Johnson's players.

I think the list is good, but if the guy doesn't put Lewis in the same category as Butkus then why is he on this list instead of Butkus?

636775[/snapback]

Because Butkus' last game was 31 years ago.

You think Derrick Thomas is on that list if not for his untimely death?

11 seasons - 127.5 sacks = 11.5/season

B. Smith = 10/season

R. White = 13/season

L. Taylor = 10/season

Before anyone tells me how sacks are overrated and aren't the only way to determine a LB or DL's worth check out the rest of their stats. Pretty comparable.

I agree with what's been said....but Sanders?? Nobody is challenging that? Come on, a Stever Atwater or better yet a Dennis Smith deserves more recognition than that girlie man....they may not warrant inclusion in this list, but man I sure miss watching them hit. :D I know, I know, the Broncos play dirty and yada yada yada....

Edited: To add another vote for Karl

Mr. Mecklenburg that is...

Edited by Turf Smurf

You think Derrick Thomas is on that list if not for his untimely death?

11 seasons - 127.5 sacks = 11.5/season

B. Smith = 10/season

R. White = 13/season

L. Taylor = 10/season

Before anyone tells me how sacks are overrated and aren't the only way to determine a LB or DL's worth check out the rest of their stats.  Pretty comparable.

636896[/snapback]

I say no. DT was a GREAT rushing linebacker; one of the best ever. But not a complete linebacker.

I say no. DT was a GREAT rushing linebacker; one of the best ever. But not a complete linebacker.

636918[/snapback]

You probably have more insight on Derrick Thomas watching the Chiefs every week but I will tell you as a Raider fan he caused more false starts and caused more havoc to an offense than any other defensive player I can think of in the AFC West. That includes Seau..........

Deion's gotta be on the list, especially if you judge a defensive player by their impact on the game. There were 5 years where he was the best playmaker in football, which was quickly followed by 5 years of being so good that teams couldn't afford to allow him the opportunity to make plays.

Rod Woodson instantly stands out as the obvious name missing from the list, probably for Seau. I am incredibly convinced that Ray Lewis is one of the best defensive players of recent past, if not history. I mean there are obviously guys that were very good players, but thats an awfully difficult list to crack right there. Any takers on trying to make a top 20??

I agree with what's been said....but Sanders??  Nobody is challenging that?  Come on, a Stever Atwater or better yet a Dennis Smith deserves more recognition than that girlie man....they may not warrant inclusion in this list, but man I sure miss watching them hit. 

636908[/snapback]

Amen. Sanders has no place on that list. Give him a spot on punt returns if you want, but defense? Rod Woodson.

Sorry, folks but LT is #1.  Just because Reggie died doesn't mean he's #1.

636933[/snapback]

LT is top ten, but not top five. He was VERY weak at stopping the run coming at him. They had to build a d-line to counter that. He was not the greatest pass defender either. He was used more as a standing End than a linebacker half the time.

Maybe because I am a "purist" and played LB, I am more jaded, but LT was a begefactor of speed and a system designed to showcase his strengths. He had too many gaps in his game, IMO, to be the complete LB.

Nobody was as scary as Ray Nitschke on Sunday!