[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looks like it isn't just Huddlers who hate...

Fatman

Kenny Albert and Brian Baldinger

I like those two.

So why aren't they even lower? Because these are bright guys who are OK when they're in their province, which is the passing game, and I had them at three stars, right until the Minnesota-Green Bay wild-card contest. That one dropped 'em. Brett Favre apologists abound, but when the guy screws it up, for God's sake say it, don't cop out every time. No interception was his fault; it was always the guy running the pattern. How about the one where he overthrew Javon Walker, and Collinsworth said Walker had screwed it up because he was supposed to run a flat pattern instead of going downfield? Uh, if Favre were expecting him to run to the flat, instead of downfield, he would have underthrown the ball, not overthrown it. And then when Favre pulled that weirdie at the end of the half, near the Vikings goal line, running three yards past the line and underhanding it to Walker in the end zone ... and drawing a penalty...and then laughing about it. We heard this from Collinsworth: "The funniest part was Walt Anderson, the referee, could barely make the call without laughing." Hey, I watched Anderson, too, and I didn't see the hint of a smile. And the guys on the Packers weren't laughing after Ryan Longwell missed the subsequent field goal. This is what is known as dishonest reporting. But when Randy Moss caught the fourth-quarter TD and treated the Packer crowd to a dry moon that lasted exactly one second, that's all, we had to listen to this blather from Buck, who got his panties all in a knot: "That is a disgusting act by Randy Moss and it's unfortunate that we had that on our air live." Well, if no one would get to see it, then how could you get anyone to agree with you, Joe Baby? But the thinking of a guy like this extends only so far.

:D:clap::D

Edited by WaterMan

SI's Dr. Z rates them the lowest of all NFL broadcast teams, citing many of the same things posted on this board.  It's a wonder these guys are still on TV...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...cers/index.html

652807[/snapback]

I'll tell you what...if they score more points then the other guy...they will win.....

And through all this, the slow, half goofy drone of Patrick, with every word emphasized, no matter how meaningless. "And tonight! We have sixty-three! Thousand! Fans!" (Whew).

This is so true. I keep waiting for Patrick to completely run out of breath before finishing half of his sentences.

Edited by Whiskey Pimp

Jets-St. Louis: Winning TD came when Jets nickel back Terrell Buckley ran into one of his own linebackers. TV crew never saw it. My theory is, if I can see it, why can't the guys at the game pick it up? They just don't see things they should.

hmmm, ok

At least he admits he pays too much attention to the announcers. I'm similar to sky as far as listening to the announcers. Generally, I sit on the back porch and tend to my smoker with the TV in the den turned to face the back yard and listen to tunes. Sometimes, I'll harken back to the dark ages of the mid 1980s when I was a cook and had to work Sunday days and listend on the radio.

I'm an NFC guy and don't actually listen to the TV too often but when I do these two seem to be my favorites for some reason:

Ian Eagle and Solomon Wilcots, CBS -- It's the third four-star year for this pair. Generally a good, honest job. Coverages precisely broken down by Wilcots, a former DB. Play by play and the little things only I find important, such as down and distance, accurately presented by Eagle. One jarring note, though. In their Bengals-Redskins telecast I was hearing the names of players who weren't on the field. There was some kind of breakdown. I don't know how high they are on the CBS food chain, fourth string, maybe? Fifth string? Usually as you descend, you get spotters who aren't always on top of their game, production people who might not be as sharp as the guys on the top team. I'm willing to give Eagle and Wilcots the benefit of the doubt because I like them and the way they approach the game.

653058[/snapback]

At least he admits he pays too much attention to the announcers.  I'm similar to sky as far as listening to the announcers.  Generally, I sit on the back porch and tend to my smoker with the TV in the den turned to face the back yard and listen to tunes.  Sometimes, I'll harken back to the dark ages of the mid 1980s when I was a cook and had to work Sunday days and listend on the radio.

I'm an NFC guy and don't actually listen to the TV too often but when I do these two seem to be my favorites for some reason:

653239[/snapback]

Yeah I like Solomon as well. He does a good job on Playbook (NFL Network).

I don't understand why networks don't experiment more with announcerless broadcasts.

653308[/snapback]

What I don't like about announcers is that they feel the need to fill up every second of the broadcast with their yammering.

Annoying Megan Fox bags like Theezman and McGuire make it 100x worse.

And through all this, the slow, half goofy drone of Patrick, with every word emphasized, no matter how meaningless. "And tonight! We have sixty-three! Thousand! Fans!" (Whew).

This is so true.  I keep waiting for Patrick to completely run out of breath before finishing half of his sentences.

653053[/snapback]

I know what you mean. It's like he's the William Shatner of sportscasters.

Every. Word. Is. Its. Own. Sentence! :D

I appreciate the list even though I loathe most of the announcers.

653308[/snapback]

I think the main problem is the two flagship broadcasts (SNF and MNF) have the most execrable and the most overrated teams around (Micheals is solid and has had a good effect on Madden, reining him in, but overall they don't get near the top of my list).

My main quibble is that he puts "teams" up there due to their play-by-play men - Albert is decent but Baldinger is f'in horrid; I have never had a problem with Rosen but Maas is a Millen-wannabe and a clown.

I'm no huge fan of the whole "storyline" approach - y'know what, just describe the action and the stories will take care of themselves - but he downgrades too much for that. I think Nantz/Simms was decent enough, and probably would prefer Stockton/Johnston do my team's games (though I agree Stockton seems to be slipping).

I hated the Sunday night endless discussion if they made the first down or not.

"Well Paul did they make it?"

Thanks for the yellow line.

:D

With enough beer who cares about the announcers.

653817[/snapback]

Hell, with enough beer who cares about anything... :DB)

I know if would never happen, but I'd like to see Berman and Tom Jackson cover a game. I tend to like Berman more than most, but the baseball calls I've heard him do have been pretty good. The two have a good raport and I bet it would be interesting.

SI's Dr. Z rates them the lowest of all NFL broadcast teams, citing many of the same things posted on this board.  It's a wonder these guys are still on TV...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...cers/index.html

652807[/snapback]

I have resorted to going super-old school and doing what my grandfather did while watching baseball games; I turn down the TV volume and putting on the radio broadcast. Boomer and Marv Albert are actually pretty good, and it saved Sunday Night for me.

Edited by Pope Flick

I would do that too.  But with satellite TV, the announcer's on radio announce what happens about 4 seconds before you see it.  It really ruins the game.

654402[/snapback]

If you're drunk enough you hardly notice.

Grandpa taught me that too. :D