[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Hate the Patriots

spain

What a bunch of tools.

You want your kid to become a Doctor, send him to school in Boston.

You want your kid to end up flipping burgers when he can't make the jump to the pros, send him to Florida.

657727[/snapback]

I dont have a problem with either of these statements. Boston is world reknowned for its institutions of higher learning. Florida is the worlds largest retirement home. But, the fact remains, New Englanders dont place the emphasis or value on football like other regions do. That is a fact. So, If my son decides he wants to play high school and/or college football and he has skills, we wont be moving to Bean Town. We will be staying down south for his high school years where he can enjoy the great tradition of hs football in the south. And if he has the talent, be noticed by college recruiters. If, on the other hand, he decides he wants to paddle a little canoe with 6 other gay men, then we will move up to Boston.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If, on the other hand, he decides he wants to paddle a little canoe with 6 other gay men, then we will move up to Boston.

657782[/snapback]

Spain's son hanging out with 6 gay men!!! Something tells me good old dad would die of a heart attack before he would watch that!!! :D

There is some truth to that.  I don't know what the high school football scene is like in New England, but the college football scene if pretty pathetic.  The only decent teams out there are Boston College and Syracuse.  And it's not like they have Top 25 teams every year.  And only ONE pro football team for all SIX New England states?  Wow...

657712[/snapback]

Well, what did you say then???

First, Syracuse isn't in New England, it is in NY.

Secondly, NE is a very small region, as far as square miles. The distance from Boston to NY is around 200 miles. The region (NE) isn't big enough to house 2 teams, especially since half of Connecticut are Pats fans and the other half are either Giant or Jets fans.

However, if they did build a stadium in downtown Boston, and added another team, I bet both would sell out.

What do I mean?  I mean this aint friggin Lacrosse or Hockey or Crew.  This is FOOTBALL!  Football is just something to do when mumbly-peg season is over in new england.  Go down south, or Texas, or California, and you will see a much greater emphasis placed on football.  It is a religion here.  It is THE religion here.  Friday Night Lights.  Hugh Rivalries.  High School games here have more fans than college teams do up there.  Oh well, lets see, you have Boston College and what else?  And its not like they are a top 10 team every year.  Go to any stadium, if you can get a ticket, in the SEC, and you will see what I mean.  My Tennessee Vols can squeeze 107,000 fans in Neyland stadium and they have sold out every game since the stadium was built in the 1950's.  This is our sport.  How many players on the Patriots are from Boston?  How many NFL players come out of there?  Not many relative to population.  Sure, you do produce alot of Lobster Fishermen and Rugby Scrummers.  But football.  That doesnt belong to you...

657704[/snapback]

Spain:

I know you are from TN, but lets not disparage a region for having more choices. In the deep South and in places like Oklahoma, there is simply nothing else to hang your hat on! Hell, there wasn't even a professional football team until they moved one in from Houston. Is there a baseball team? A basketball team?

With so little to do focus on, you can fill a stadium with 300,000 fans. College Football is a way of life because its the only *** thing people in TN have!

Hell, I have been all over the state of Oklahoma and you can drive hundreds of miles before you see a human for heavens sake.

College football will never be as big as in NE, as its a pro sports town with so many other entertainment choices. Simply put, there has been no other sports team in the state of TN as long as the Vols and the same holds true in much of the South and Midwest.

Again, no reason to throw Boston under the bus because Cow Tipping isn't televised and you can't buy 50 acres and a 5000sf house for $20K.

:D

Edited by gspot

Well, what did you say then???

First, Syracuse isn't in New England, it is in NY.

Secondly, NE is a very small region, as far as square miles.  The distance from Boston to NY is around 200 miles.  The region (NE) isn't big enough to house 2 teams, especially since half of Connecticut are Pats fans and the other half are either Giant or Jets fans.

However, if they did build a stadium in downtown Boston, and added another team, I bet both would sell out.

657809[/snapback]

Here fishy, fishy... :D

:D

Of course, I'm biased being a Colts fan, but people outside of New England are just sick seing them win.  I remember a lot of people "hating" the Cowboys by the end of their dynasty back in the mid-90s.  This is pretty much the same thing.  And, of course, it doesn't help when the New England-centric ESPN holds their nuts 24/7.

657645[/snapback]

I'm sick of the Manning commercials myself. ESPN was all over the Colts, saying Peyton would "exorcise the demons."

Except for those pretentious Visa commercials that air about 20 times every day...  :D

657647[/snapback]

That's not the Pats telling you about it 20 times a day - it's Visa and the networks selling the ad time. When Visa comes and asks them to do a commercial, are they supposed to say no? They have no say/control over where and when the ads are played and how often.

That's not the Pats telling you about it 20 times a day - it's Visa and the networks selling the ad time.  When Visa comes and asks them to do a commercial, are they supposed to say no?  They have no say/control over where and when the ads are played and how often.

658017[/snapback]

And they have no say/control over the content?

I dont hate them, but this is a watered down parity league, and they just happen to be the best of this generation. This team couldnt stack up against the 70 Steelers, 80 Niners, 90s Cowboys or Broncos, but they dont have too.  The Salary Cap has erased any true dominant teams like those Dynasties mentioned

657447[/snapback]

Folks, winning two Super Bowls in a row a dynasty does not make. I think the "d" word is thrown around a little too much in football.

The Pats selection of players, coaching, system, and the focus on team is what got them where they are today.  They are well balanced, and no one is trying to be a superstar.  You will never hear anyone complaining about not seeing the ball as often as they would like.  Every player understands his role on the team, and does what it takes to get the W.  You will never hear players saying that they will "play when they want to", or see them walk off the field until the clock hits "00".  The team won't stand for those antics, and they won't let it affect the other players who want to be a part of the team.

657469[/snapback]

Sad state of sports fans today. The Patriots are the epitome of TEAM SPORTS at its BEST. From the Top down they are a class act and don't need to tell you about it every chance they get. They don't even wear their championship rings, they are hungry as if they have never won a thing and I for one am thrilled to watch such a classy organization at the top of the best league in sports.

657629[/snapback]

This is why the Pats have won me over. I love the fact these guys are all about the team. Who cares about personal accomplishments as long as the team reaches its goals? I for one am tired of professional athletes and their own agendas (not to mention acting like an ass after making a first down...these guys should have to act the same way when they drop a pass or do something stupid in my opinion).

I agree completely.  The Pats playing and winning as a "Team" is what has made them what they are.  Bill Cowher has gone as far to say that this year's Steeler team has tried to adapt to what the Pats have done.  Duce and Bettis have not once complained about their roles on this team.  That says a lot considering these are veteran players with a great deal of talent.  Hines Ward, Burress, and Randle-El have never once complained that playing in a run-first offense is affecting their receiving numbers.  Back-ups have come in and replaced starters with not much of a loss.  Starters have lost jobs due to injury and the fact that the reserve played so well (Obviously Ben, but also Larry Foote and Willie Williams).  The Pats deserver the credit for this, because they showed what a true "team" can accomplish.

657664[/snapback]

Another reason I like the Steelers. When I hear the Bus take a paycut because he wants to be a part of the organization and can still be useful, how can you root against guys like that?

I like both teams but will lean towards the Pats this weekend.

What do I mean?  I mean this aint friggin Lacrosse or Hockey or Crew.  This is FOOTBALL!  Football is just something to do when mumbly-peg season is over in new england.  Go down south, or Texas, or California, and you will see a much greater emphasis placed on football.  It is a religion here.  It is THE religion here.  Friday Night Lights.  Hugh Rivalries.  High School games here have more fans than college teams do up there.  Oh well, lets see, you have Boston College and what else?  And its not like they are a top 10 team every year.  Go to any stadium, if you can get a ticket, in the SEC, and you will see what I mean.  My Tennessee Vols can squeeze 107,000 fans in Neyland stadium and they have sold out every game since the stadium was built in the 1950's.  This is our sport.  How many players on the Patriots are from Boston?  How many NFL players come out of there?  Not many relative to population.  Sure, you do produce alot of Lobster Fishermen and Rugby Scrummers.  But football.  That doesnt belong to you...

657704[/snapback]

Your sport? Why? Because there's nothing better to do in rural Texas and Tennessee than go see the local team play? Kids in those areas are bred to play football b/c that's all there is. For whatever reason, people in the northeast have a much broader plate of sports to choose from . . . but that doesn't mean that those who choose football care any less about it than anywhere else in the country.

"This is our sport" and "That doesn't belong to you" - this if truly funny stuff. I always thought that sports belonged to whoever the hell wanted to play them.

I dont have a problem with either of these statements.  Boston is world reknowned for its institutions of higher learning.  Florida is the worlds largest retirement home.  But, the fact remains, New Englanders dont place the emphasis or value on football like other regions do.  That is a fact.  So, If my son decides he wants to play high school and/or college football and he has skills, we wont be moving to Bean Town.  We will be staying down south for his high school years where he can enjoy the great tradition of hs football in the south.  And if he has the talent, be noticed by college recruiters.  If, on the other hand, he decides he wants to paddle a little canoe with 6 other gay men, then we will move up to Boston.

657782[/snapback]

Not sure where you're getting the crew thing from, but nobody gives a rat's ass about it up here except for a few Harvard alums who don't have the athletic ability to play other sports. Crew is nothing.

And they have no say/control over the content?

658025[/snapback]

Is it the content that people have a problem with or is it the fact that the commercial is on 12 times during each game nowadays? The first time the commercial aired, I heard nothing but positive things about it . . . it's played out now and starting to piss people off b/c the Pats are winning again. It's understandable that it's annoying people.

Not sure where you're getting the crew thing from, but nobody gives a rat's ass about it up here except for a few Harvard alums who don't have the athletic ability to play other sports.  Crew is nothing.

658065[/snapback]

What he is getting at is that you girls in the Northeast are a littel light in the loafers. Football is a man's game. Leave it to men while you get your exercise over a heated game of Dungeons and Dragons in your Moms basement..

Your sport?  Why? Because there's nothing better to do in rural Texas and Tennessee than go see the local team play?  Kids in those areas are bred to play football b/c that's all there is.  For whatever reason, people in the northeast have a much broader plate of sports to choose from . . . but that doesn't mean that those who choose football care any less about it than anywhere else in the country.

"This is our sport" and "That doesn't belong to you" - this if truly funny stuff.  I always thought that sports belonged to whoever the hell wanted to play them.

658048[/snapback]

I am quite sure that you have more choices up there. Like which sexual orientation you want have for the day. But that doesnt negate the fact that football teams in the northeast are like Hockey teams in Nashville and atlanta: Just a little out of place..

I dont have a problem with either of these statements.  Boston is world reknowned for its institutions of higher learning.  Florida is the worlds largest retirement home.  But, the fact remains, New Englanders dont place the emphasis or value on football like other regions do.  That is a fact.  So, If my son decides he wants to play high school and/or college football and he has skills, we wont be moving to Bean Town.  We will be staying down south for his high school years where he can enjoy the great tradition of hs football in the south.  And if he has the talent, be noticed by college recruiters.  If, on the other hand, he decides he wants to paddle a little canoe with 6 other gay men, then we will move up to Boston.

657782[/snapback]

Not sure where you're getting the crew thing from, but nobody gives a rat's ass about it up here except for a few Harvard alums who don't have the athletic ability to play other sports.  Crew is nothing.

658065[/snapback]

What he is getting at is that you girls in the Northeast are a littel light in the loafers.  Football is a man's game.  Leave it to men while you get your exercise over a heated game of Dungeons and Dragons in your Moms basement..

658382[/snapback]

Anyone else find this funny? Trailer Parker explaining Spain's posts. :D

This is stating the obvious but, evidently, Sarge has difficulty adapting to differences in eras.  During the BC (before-cap), post 70's era, using big bucks, teams started accumulating great players and enticing superstars to buttress these already loaded teams a la the Yankees of 1990's to present. 

Thus the steam rolling teams like the 49ers of the 80's and Cowboys of the 90's became truly dominant.  They were fun to watch too unless you were a fan of one of the teams whose ass they were kicking.

However, the salary cap has required teams that expect to have any success (more than one hit wonders) to hire better management and coaches rather than just pay All Pro players exorbitant salaries.  The management has to be able to spot talent on the rise or cheap old talent.  The coaches have to get the most out of these players.  The players have to buy into the system and pull together.

To me, this is the epitome of a team sport like football.  Like Spain, I'm getting tired of seeing NE win year after year but you gotta give them credit.  In my opinion, NE is even more of a dynasty because of the difference in the economic latitude of the environment.

657646[/snapback]

The 70's and 80's was pre-salary cap. But it was also pre-free agency. If your contract with a team expired, that team still owned your rights...until you retired. Teams could pay whatever they wanted to for players, but they had the leverage not to pay crazy sums of money. And if they needed a star quarterback, they couldn't just go out and overspend for Dan Marino. There was no way back then to buy all-star teams the way the Yankees do now. But if once a team gathered talent, it was staying gathered for years to come.

I don't really mind the new system with free agency and the salary cap. I just wish it had come 5 years later, to see what the 90's Cowboys would have done under the same system the Niners and Steelers presided over. Free agency COMBINED with the salary cap ended the dynasty era, which makes what the Patriots are doing all the more impressive.

Given the veteran nature of the Patriots defense, does it get really old really quick one of these years? If so, when? Or does it happen this week against the physicality of the Steelers?

What the crap does the state of high school football in NE have to do with anything? This might be the dumbest argument you've ever gone fishing with spain.

658406[/snapback]

Seriously,

Besides, everyone knows western PA is the premiere breeding ground for football stars.

Just a Pats fan busting ya! I live just north of Boston, but believe it or not, I'm Hetero!

But you're right. It's nothing like Tenn. Where men are men and the barnyard animals live in fear. :D

658755[/snapback]

Ah Boston! Where they seperate the men from the boys...with a crowbar... :D

Edited by spain