[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gates threatening to sit

THE SIX KINGS

Can't really blame the guy after the year he had.

Teams ask players to restructure all the time for whatever reason.

The pendulum just happens to be swinging in the other direction in Gates case.

That is a link to CBS sportsline. they are notorious for mis-information. They said the report came for the NY Post, another rag notorious for blatant lies and mis-information. No, I would not be surprised if Gates held out for more money.... but these two sources are dog chit. I havent been able to verify this story, even at the NY Post site. I'd like to see something from the press in SD. Until then.... it's ruppert murdoch news.... it's a lie until proven otherwise.

That is a link to CBS sportsline. they are notorious for mis-information. They said the report came for the NY Post, another rag notorious for blatant lies and mis-information.

NFL total access reported it. Besides, 380,000K with 89 catches? Puhleese.

NFL total access reported it.  Besides, 380,000K with 89 catches?  Puhleese.

757034[/snapback]

You would think they would give him some incentives in his contract for next year. This way they don't have to pay him if he was only a one year wonder but if he turns out to be good then he will get paid through the incentives.

There has been nothing lately in the media here on Gates. :D If and when there is, I'll share it ASAP!

All I CAN tell you is that A. J. Smith has promised to take care of his own. If Gates wants a bigger piece of the pie, A.J. will try to make that happen.

Edited by Chargerz

Can't really blame the guy after the year he had.

Teams ask players to restructure all the time for whatever reason.

The pendulum just happens to be swinging in the other direction in Gates case.

756750[/snapback]

HE SIGNED A CONTRACT!!! Sure, teams can ASK a player. Gates can ASK to be renegotiated. But holding out? That's simply unethical. He's been one of my favorites the past two years -- but if he pulls this bologna, the zest of my manlove fades a bit. Dang. PLAY BALL!!!

If I were the Chargers I would definately throw him a few more bucks now. At what he is currently making, it would only seem like an act of good faith. This way when it is time to re-up, hopefully he'll show some love back to the Chargers for taking care of him . This guy could really be a superstar in the NFL in the near future. I'm sure SD wants to keep him in deep blue for a long long time.

I won't believe it until I have a more reliable source. They are still reporting that the Vikings' hold only the 18th pick in the draft and are telling us shocking news that they might select a WR. Where did they get such good information.

As for Gates and his production last year, he should be getting #1 WR $$$ instead of TE $$$!

As for Gates and his production last year, he should be getting #1 WR $$$ instead of TE $$$!

757140[/snapback]

I'm sure his agent has already thought of that. Just think, now we will get to see both of San Diego's first round picks, PLUS their Pro Bowl tight end hold out! :D

HE SIGNED A CONTRACT!!!  Sure, teams can ASK a player.  Gates can ASK to be renegotiated.  But holding out?  That's simply unethical.  He's been one of my favorites the past two years -- but if he pulls this bologna, the zest of my manlove fades a bit.  Dang.  PLAY BALL!!!

757108[/snapback]

Unlike MLB and NBA contracts, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. If Gates goes out and has a career ending injury, that's it. He won't get paid for any other years. I have zero problem with a player re-negotiating once. He'll play ball this year. He might miss some training camp/ pre-season games, but he'll play this year.

HE SIGNED A CONTRACT!!!  Sure, teams can ASK a player.  Gates can ASK to be renegotiated.  But holding out?  That's simply unethical.  He's been one of my favorites the past two years -- but if he pulls this bologna, the zest of my manlove fades a bit.  Dang.  PLAY BALL!!!

757108[/snapback]

No more unethical than teams cutting players. That's ending a contract, too. Neither side sticks with a contract. Both use leverage anytime they get it.

No more unethical than teams cutting players.  That's ending a contract, too. 

757370[/snapback]

Non-guaranteed contracts were agreed upon by both owners and the player's union in the CBA. Unless I'm mistaken, the concept of "holding out" was not. Players get signing bonuses (paid in full up front) in the NFL, which were implemented to offset the fact that their contracts are not guaranteed. In that regard, it's difficult to argue that holding out is as ethical as a team terminating a contract.

That said, I typically don't fault players like Gates for holding out.

Unlike MLB and NBA contracts, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. If Gates goes out and has a career ending injury, that's it. He won't get paid for any other years. I have zero problem with a player re-negotiating once

word. He has every right to sit out if he feels neglected. He isn't pulling a baron davis who has 20 million coming to him regardless if it takes him 3 weeks to return from an ankle injury. If gates blew out his knee in the first game of 2005 he woudl only have the $250,000 he made and would have to go bag groceries. I'm sure his agent has already mentioned this to him. He should be getting top 5 tight end money. He was their best player last year no doubt (jesse chatman proved that tomlinson isn't the greatest player int he world by averaging 6.0 yards a carry, scoring 3 t'ds and totaling 400 yards on the season.) If i was AJ smith i would be signign him to a 6 year extension and throwing him a 10 million signing bonus right now. Its not like he's goign to suck next year. The guy doesnt' even know waht he's doing yet and is still the best tightend in the nfl

NFL total access reported it.  Besides, 380,000K with 89 catches?  Puhleese.

757034[/snapback]

Yes, NFL Total Access reporter Adam Schefter also reported the rumors are false. Apparently, he contacted AJ Smith and others who said Gates has been at the facility working out and was there lifting weights when Adam called.

According to AJ Smith, there is no validity to the story, as Gates is happy and ready for camp!

Considering he was doing drills and working out when NFLTA called, doesn't sound like he is holding out to me.

I do believe he deserves a raise however.

HE SIGNED A CONTRACT!!! 

Ask garcia about the 4 year deal he signed with CLE last year. :D

No way they don't pay gates more, think what you want, but a guy with 80+ catches isn't gonna make near the minimum.

gates may be in camp cause they promised him the cash. I am no fan of holdouts at all, but teams gotta take care of their own.

HE SIGNED A CONTRACT!!!  Sure, teams can ASK a player. 

757108[/snapback]

Do you know what happens to a lot of players with SIGNED CONTRACTS, who refuse to restrucure when teams ask them to?

The SIGNED CONTRACT is usually not honored and these players quickly find themsleves unemployed, that's what!

These SIGNED CONTRACTS aren't worth the paper they're printed on, excepting the guaranteed money.

I don't like this., You see this is why the players make so much because a one year wonder explodes his name and contract. I tell him that he's sitting and if he pulls this $hit again he's gone. That way you get the players that really love the game instead of money flips

Non-guaranteed contracts were agreed upon by both owners and the player's union in the CBA.  Unless I'm mistaken, the concept of "holding out" was not.  Players get signing bonuses (paid in full up front) in the NFL, which were implemented to offset the fact that their contracts are not guaranteed.  In that regard, it's difficult to argue that holding out is as ethical as a team terminating a contract.

That said, I typically don't fault players like Gates for holding out.

757448[/snapback]

This isn't indentured servitude. All the contract says is that if a player is going to play in the NFL, it will be with Team X for Y number of years at $Z. Holding out is just threatening to not play in the NFL, similar to the threat of cutting for not restructuring. It is precisely the same thing.

I don't like this.,  You see this is why the players make so much because a one year wonder explodes his name and contract.  I tell him that he's sitting and if he pulls this $hit again he's gone.  That way you get the players that really love the game instead of money flips

757903[/snapback]

I'd like to see the players do the same.

Basically let the Players Union make it known that all players will boycott any NFL Team that fails to honor contracts they have signed with their players.

That way we wouldn't see the crap like what the Pats are doing to Troy Brown :D:D:D