[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should Portis pay the rest of the money?

whomper

Should he pay the balance of the money?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should he pay the balance of the money?

• yes
    • no

Portis-Ohalete meet in court over number dispute

June 6, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

WASHINGTON -- Big-time sports has devolved to this: two former NFL teammates are on the verge of going to court to settle a dispute over a jersey number.

A crude, one-paragraph contract has led to Ifeanyi Ohalete, plaintiff, vs. Clinton Portis, defendant, on the docket for civil trial Tuesday in a District Court in Maryland. Simply put: Ohalete wants the $20,000 he feels he is owed for giving Portis the jersey No. 26 when both were members of the Washington Redskins a year ago.

"It's certainly what we expect," Ohalete's attorney, John Steren, said Monday. "It's certainly what we're demanding."

Athletes' attachments to certain jersey numbers is ubiquitous on all levels, leading to spats when ordering uniforms for church league softball and deep-pocketed deals between marquee pros.

Eli Manning, for example, had to pay for punter Jeff Feagles' family vacation to Florida to snag the preferred No. 10 after the New York Giants drafted Manning with the No. 1 overall pick in 2004. Feagles got a new kitchen in his home from Plaxico Burress this year when he gave Burress his No. 17 after the wide receiver signed with New York.

When Portis signed with the Redskins last year, he immediately honed in on No. 26, which he wore for two seasons with the Denver Broncos. However, the number already belonged to Ohalete, who didn't want to give it up. Protracted negotiations led to a contract signed by Portis, Ohalete and witness Brad Berlin, the Redskins equipment manager.

"The document is being drawn on June 4, 2004, to verify the agreement between Clinton Portis and Ifeanyi Ohalete for the sale of Ifeanyi's jersey number in exchange for monetary compensation," the contract begins.

The contract called for Portis to pay Ohalete $40,000 in three installments: $20,000 immediately, $10,000 by Week 8 of the NFL season, and $10,000 by Christmas Day. Portis paid the $20,000 up front and got his coveted No. 26. Ohalete switched to No. 30.

But then Ohalete was cut by the Redskins during training camp in August and was claimed off waivers by Arizona. Portis apparently felt Ohalete's departure voided the rest of the contract, so he didn't pay the final two installments.

"I think he's crazy," Portis told Sirius NFL Radio after the suit was filed in late December. "How could you request something when you got cut, but I would have had the number anyway? I think he's crazy, so I guess we'll be in court together."

That has been Portis' only substantial comment on the lawsuit. His agents, Drew and Jason Rosenhaus, have said even less.

Ohalete has said the contract speaks for itself. The agreement makes no stipulation that either player has to remain on the Redskins roster. His lawyer agrees.

"It's a simple contract," Steren said. "It's fairly well written, and it's fairly unambiguous. We hope the judge will see it that way, too."

Portis signed an agreement - whatever happened after that is completely irrelevant. If Portis included the stipulation that the rest of the payment was voided if the other guy was released, then sure. But he said he would pay on a schedule and he didn't. How much more black and white can you get than that?

Wonder if I can buy a #26 jersey with the name "Welch" on it?

That is probably chump change to a guy like Portis and since he signed his name on the dotted line then YEA he should pay it. If a car dealer goes out of business the day after I buy a car, should I get it for less since they went out of business????? What a stupid concept.

Sounds to me like Feagles is some sort of con-artist when it comes to this ... a free vacation and then a new kitchen. I bet he is looking at the year upcoming and the free agents most likely to sign with the Giants and then saying ... I want this number ........... :D

Of course he should pay the money. He signed that contract in good faith. It was assumed that both members would still be playing on the same team at the time. This seems extremely simple to me. If Portis thought there was a chance that guy would be cut, he could have waited until after training camp to pick up the number.

I'm not a lawyer and no nothing about law, however, I'm willing to bet if this thing goes to court, Portis won't owe a dime.

833061[/snapback]

You obviously know nothing about the law. If it's in writing and signed by Portis he will have to pay the money.

I'm not a lawyer and no nothing about law, however, I'm willing to bet if this thing goes to court, Portis won't owe a dime.

833061[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but, it is painfully obvious that what ever you do for a job does not involve written details...

Portis is on the hook for $20k more, no doubt about it.

If he wanted to have a "if one of us is cut" clause, then he should have put it in there. There is no way the other guy should have known that this was Portis' intent unless Portis went to the effort of putting it in writing...

The bottom line here is that regardless of the payment schedule or anything else, Portis agreed to pay $40,000 for the Number. In the absence of any language requiring both players to remain on the active roster then he is obligated by the terms of the contract and his word as a man to pay the rest of the money.

What a chump.

And as to Feagles being a con artist in this regard it sounds to me like he is letting the guys wanting his number off easy. I doubt a family vacation or a new kitchen either one would have cost $40,000.00.

I wonder if he goes up to players in training camp..."hey, I'll trade you my sandwich for your number"..."no, but, if you send my family and I on a vacation next offseason, you're on!"

The bottom line here is that regardless of the payment schedule or anything else, Portis agreed to pay $40,000 for the Number. In the absence of any language requiring both players to remain on the active roster then he is obligated by the terms of the contract and his word as a man to pay the rest of the money.

What a chump.

833081[/snapback]

Pretty much sums it up.

Portis signed an agreement - whatever happened after that is completely irrelevant. If Portis included the stipulation that the rest of the payment was voided if the other guy was released, then sure. But he said he would pay on a schedule and he didn't. How much more black and white can you get than that?

833062[/snapback]

What he said.

I'm sorry, but, it is painfully obvious that what ever you do for a job does not involve written details...

Portis is on the hook for $20k more, no doubt about it.

If he wanted to have a "if one of us is cut" clause, then he should have put it in there.  There is no way the other guy should have known that this was Portis' intent unless Portis went to the effort of putting it in writing...

833079[/snapback]

As it is painfully obvious you don't know how the legal system works. I'm not sure what it will be, but there's a loophole in that contract somewhere. Wasn't this a patchwork contract done in the locker room by the other player or trainer?

Anyways, if you want to put your ego where your mouth is, let's make a sigline bet of it. Anyone else too.

Edit: darn, too late.

Edited by Brentastic

As it is painfully obvious you don't know how the legal system works.  I'm not sure what it will be, but there's a loophole in that contract somewhere.  Wasn't this a patchwork contract done in the locker room by the other player or trainer?

Anyways, if you want to put your ego where your mouth is, let's make a sigline bet of it.  Anyone else too.

Edit: darn, too late.

833141[/snapback]

I don't know much about the legal system either but, given the recent news of a settlement, if given a chance, I'd bet even Portis would have voted yes in whompers poll!!!

As it is painfully obvious you don't know how the legal system works. 

833141[/snapback]

Ahem.

I'm not sure what it will be, but there's a loophole in that contract somewhere.

833141[/snapback]

They had the entire contract (all one paragraph of it) in the article. I guess the lawyers decided that there wasn't a loophole either.

Wasn't this a patchwork contract done in the locker room by the other player or trainer?

833141[/snapback]

It doesn't matter who draws up a contract when determining is legality. You don't need a lawyer to make a binding agreement.

Anyways, if you want to put your ego where your mouth is, let's make a sigline bet of it.

833141[/snapback]

Too bad I was busy buying a new couch yesterday afternoon to take you up on this (which I would have done in a heartbeat).

Hell no!!  The guy got cut, Portis would have got the jersey anyways.  I realize Portis can totally afford it, and the cut player can use it, but if I were in Portis' shoes, I wouldn't pay his broke untalented a$$ either!!

833057[/snapback]

If you make a deal you hav to pay! his A$$ should have just used another number if he did want to give up the cash!!!! Look at Jerry Rice #19 and you know his status and you know he has money but you didn't see him making deals! But that just goes to show people have no code no Honor!!!! That's not from the forces but from a guy who can respect the deal!!! Period!

:D

Edited by MrGameTime

833061[/snapback]

I hope you're kidding because I'd like to have 100 of those signed contracts and take portis to court. He loses, don't pass go and while you're passing pay the $20,000. You made the agreement, now pay. The only way he gets away with not paying is if there's a clause that we know nothing about. And seeing that it wasn't made by a lawyer, there probably is no backdoor BS in it. Done deal.

What a chump.

And as to Feagles being a con artist in this regard it sounds to me like he is letting the guys wanting his number off easy. I doubt a family vacation or a new kitchen either one would have cost $40,000.00.

833081[/snapback]

I've done some kitchens that were considerably more than 40,000.00. Not saying Feagles is a con artist but, it could've been much more than that.