[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trainer Phil Rocks!

Rovers

Very nice report on the RB's in the infirmary! :D

I do have a few Q's for you. First up:

Stephen Davis

This is from the Panthers' site:

Hurry up and wait for Davis

June 3, 2005

By Brett Borden

Panthers.com

Running back Stephen Davis has spent this week watching the summer school sessions in rain gear with the ever-present Panthers toboggan atop his head. What's missing are his practice jersey and his trademark smile. It's tough to smile right now, as he is anxious to prove that he can come back from microfracture knee surgery, but is trying to remain patient while the healing process continues.

Stephen Davis is watching summer school sessions from the sidelines.

"It's very frustrating," said Davis. "We have been through this one time with DeShaun (Foster). I talk to him all the time, and he's saying, 'You've got to wait. They're going to let you know when you're able.' And I can feel what he's saying. My body's feeling great right now, but it's just that I still need to wait.

"They haven't told me anything. I've been telling everybody it's a long process and I'm doing everything possible as far as getting back on the field. My progress is coming along very well."

Head athletic trainer Ryan Vermillion's analysis of Davis' rehab? So far, so good.

"Stephen has been able to cross every goal and milestone that we have in his rehabilitation," said Vermillion. "You've got to be sure that you're very patient with this, but he has started to run now, moving from the pool to the treadmill, and actually to run some outside. Our goal is to have him ready for training camp. That's been our goal all spring long."

For Davis, being ready by training camp would keep him actively involved while the offensive schemes are being implemented, and give him a much better chance of being ready to play on opening day versus New Orleans.

"I definitely want to be ready at the start of training camp," he said. "That's my personal goal. I feel that if they see I'm ready to do it, they're going to let me go out there. I feel like I'm making a lot of progress and feeling good. I feel I'm stronger than ever in my legs and my upper body. It's getting closer and I'm getting anxious."

****I have also read that trainers have learned a lot in the last couple of years as how to rehab this sort of injury best. Some mistakes were made with players who had previously undergone the procedure. Since they (the Panther trainers) have already done this rehab successfully with Foster, it would seem they have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Should anything be read into the fact that he is running both on a treadmill and outside, in a positive vane, or is that wishful thinking on my part? Does this mean the new tissue is sufficient to allow him to run, with the main concern being whether or not the bone that was drilled might still be weak and suseptable to cracking? Or a combination? I know this is way different from ACL type problems, where knee stability is an issue. Your report on Davis sounded very cautous, which is why I'm asking.

Charlie Garner

Garner has said he is now about 80% coming off a patella tear. Yet, you seem more optomistic about his return vs. Davis. Can he regain the speed and agility he had prior to this injury, in only 9 months, when training camp starts? As an aside, I still have some trouble thinking he could be carried as a third string RB that doesn't play special teams with a salary of $800,000. Tampa is a salary cap nightmare....... even though I know Gruden loves Garner, I still can't see them keeping him, although it does seem a sure thing they won't cut him in June at all.

Thanks for the great report.....

:D

I am going to have to agree 100%. While I didnt think much of his work on Oprah, or even the counseling advice he gives on his own shown now, Dr. Phil did a f'n excellent job on the RB injury report on the front page. I suggest you go over and read perhaps the most in-depth and thorough injury report on the rb's in the league anywhere. I, for one, am very impressed so far by Phil's knowledge and reporting. Great job Dr. Phil! Now if we can just do something about that bald head and bad accent! :D

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm working on the WR's right now, and most of it is just updating on players with previous injuries but its taking me a while to uncover the necessary info so you probably won't get that report until next Monday.

I have also read that trainers have learned a lot in the last couple of years as how to rehab this sort of injury best. Some mistakes were made with players who had previously undergone the procedure. Since they (the Panther trainers) have already done this rehab successfully with Foster, it would seem they have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Should anything be read into the fact that he is running both on a treadmill and outside, in a positive vane, or is that wishful thinking on my part? Does this mean the new tissue is sufficient to allow him to run, with the main concern being whether or not the bone that was drilled might still be weak and suseptable to cracking? Or a combination? I know this is way different from ACL type problems, where knee stability is an issue. Your report on Davis sounded very cautous, which is why I'm asking.

Cautious might be an understatement. The success rate for professional athletes returning from microfracture surgery isn't exactly good. Like any other procedure (Tommy John surgery for example), the more doctors and trainers do it is the better they get at it. Recovering well enough to be able to do ADL's (activities of daily living) is one thing, returning to an elite athletic status is another. My understanding is that Davis is doing VERY light straight-line jogging meaning no cuts, no change of direction, nothing outside of jogging STRAIGHT. He's still a long ways away from being to able run at full speed and take contact.

Garner has said he is now about 80% coming off a patella tear. Yet, you seem more optomistic about his return vs. Davis. Can he regain the speed and agility he had prior to this injury, in only 9 months, when training camp starts? As an aside, I still have some trouble thinking he could be carried as a third string RB that doesn't play special teams with a salary of $800,000. Tampa is a salary cap nightmare....... even though I know Gruden loves Garner, I still can't see them keeping him, although it does seem a sure thing they won't cut him in June at all.

This is a great question. Recovery from this kind of injury can take anywhere from 8 - 18 months depending on the severity. A lot is also dependent on the type of surgery and the nature of the rehab the athlete/patient undergoes. Based on my inquiries and research Garner looks to be ahead of the curve and he has a good chance of being ready to participate in training camp. My sources tell me that the Bucs want to play the "wait-and-see" game with Garner. Depth at the RB position can be a beautiful thing in the NFL especially if your top two RBs are a rookie and a guy who likes to be suspended. A HEALTHY Garner would be a guy the Bucs would definitely hold on to especially when he won't cost them much. But at this point all of this shouldn't affect your draft. Garner just isn't worth a roster spot in 12-team leagues.

Edited by Trainer_Phil

Great job Dr. Phil! Now if we can just do something about that bald head and bad accent! 

The funny thing about this statement, is that its true. I shave my head bald and I do have an accent. What kind of accent? Well, you'll just have to figure that one out for yourselves. :D

The funny thing about this statement, is that its true. I shave my head bald and I do have an accent. What kind of accent? Well, you'll just have to figure that one out for yourselves.  :D

833682[/snapback]

I'm going to imagine the accent to be like Abu from the Simpsons....until you prove it otherwise. :D

Cool. gonna read it now.

Good stuff! This will be a great help during the season, thanks.

Edited by NSab

...and then you made your comment about Troy. I take it back.

What can I say, I'm a 49er's fan at heart. In fact, if you want to see how much of a fan I am take a look at me in action:

Scroll Down Until You See My Picture (for the record that PFS logo will be replaced by The huddle logo as soon as the webmaster gets to it)

Sweet article Phil! 

Are you going to be doing this all year??? Great job!

Thanks Swampnuts.

Yup, I will be finishing up the positional off-season reports in June, I will give a couple of general updates in July, I will be doing a weekly injury report during the pre-season and I will have a two reports a week for members during the regular season.

Edited by Trainer_Phil

Is Tom Stewart really Kevin Cosner? Oh, and Phil, do you have a pic of a Cowboy knocking you into next week after you dissed the star?

834247[/snapback]

Nobody knocked me into next week, but the Cowboys officials that I was with did not like it very much. The funniest thing about that day was when I was passing through the locker room I noticed that everyone had a very nice name tag above their locker EXCEPT one player. It was rookie QB Quincy Carter and his name was written in chalk.

Phil: Great pic!  All Cowboys haters are always welcome here. My guess is that you didnt submit that pic along with your resume to Dorey when applying for this gig!

Actually, I did show Dorey and even suggested he use it on the site beside my bio. He declined :D

The funniest thing about that day was when I was passing through the locker room I noticed that everyone had a very nice name tag above their locker EXCEPT one player. It was rookie QB Quincy Carter and his name was written in chalk.

834337[/snapback]

Uh, I dont know how to tell you this Phil, but, that white powder above Quincy's locker was NOT chalk! :D

Uh, I dont know how to tell you this Phil, but, that white powder above Quincy's locker was NOT chalk! :D

834340[/snapback]

:D

Actually, I did show Dorey and even suggested he use it on the site beside my bio. He declined  :D

834337[/snapback]

:D Heretic

What can I say, I'm a 49er's fan at heart. In fact, if you want to see how much of a fan I am take a look at me in action:

Scroll Down Until You See My Picture (for the record that PFS logo will be replaced by The huddle logo as soon as the webmaster gets to it)

Thanks Swampnuts.

Yup, I will be finishing up the positional off-season reports in June, I will give a couple of general updates in July, I will be doing a weekly injury report during the pre-season and I will have a two reports a week for members during the regular season.

834122[/snapback]

GREAT GOOGILLYMOOGILLY! :D:D

I never thought I would find a group of individuals as comely as our very own Mistery Huddlers. But that is one rag tag loser looking group if ever there was one. :D

And take this as you will T Phil, but you are the only one of that group who looks like he may have actually dated a girl once.

Anywho, been away for a while, so welcome to thehuddle, and looking forward to your contributions.

sacrebleu