[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Position Opinions

msaint

Sorry if this has been discussed in here recently, but with our Felon League draft selection coming up, I wanted to run something past you guys.

This year, we're trying something different (based on some Huddler/reader suggestions :D ) to spice up our draft: when we have our draft order lottery, the names selected aren't automatically 1-12 in order; rather, we're letting each owner, when his name is drawn, choose his own spot (i.e. if I'm drawn first, I can take #1 overall, or say, "Hmmm...I am fine with either LT, Alexander, Edge, Priest, or Peyton, so I'll take #5 and get a better 2nd rounder" etc etc.)

SO, in a 12-team, non-keeper, performance scoring w/ 1pt per reception, bonuses for 100/300yd games & long TDs (over 30 yds), where would you prefer to be? My gut says go one of two ways:

1. With the better-than-average depth at RB this year, get a top pick, hope to snag Peyton real early, and take a chance that two solid RBs are there in late Round 2, early Round 3...or go best RB in 2, and then grab a Chad Johnson type WR in 3.

2. Opt for a mid-/late-round pick -- 6 through 12 -- lock and load with a backfield of, e.g. two of McGahee/Portis/Deuce/Dillon/Kevin Jones/Julius Jones/Tiki/Jamal/DD/Rudi, and then start in on the WRs and QBs (and any upside RBs who fall) for the next few rounds. Or, if Daunte falls to late Round1/early Round 2, take him and the best RB.

Thoughts? I honestly could go either way at this point, but am already starting to go a little nutty. :D

Edited by msaint

Yeah, right now my gut's saying, e.g. a Jamal/Julius/Bulger-Green is better than a Peyton/Steven Jackson/Ronnie Brown sort of look.

892779[/snapback]

Agreed. While I like Manning (and have franchised him for our Dynasty keeper league) you have to go with two strong RBs early. I think the depth at RB is there, but I'd prefer to have some proven commodities if I can get them. Just my take. :D

Playing Devil's advocate to myself, I fear that at least one of the potential late 1st/early 2nd round stud RBs will pull a Barlow/Willie Green/ATrain and tank -- Domanick, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, McGahee: I think one of these guys will be the proverbial "RB who blew up down the stretch and was drafted too early the following year." Trick will be guessing which one it'll be and avoiding him. Easier said than done.

Playing Devil's advocate to myself, I fear that at least one of the potential late 1st/early 2nd round stud RBs will pull a Barlow/Willie Green/ATrain and tank -- Domanick, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, McGahee: I think one of these guys will be the proverbial "RB who blew up down the stretch and was drafted too early the following year." Trick will be guessing which one it'll be and avoiding him. Easier said than done.

892795[/snapback]

Mcgahee went mid round 1 in a mock I just did on Friday. I got the tenth pick and for the reason you explained, I took Dillon at 10 and Barber at 11. My only regret was brain farting on McAllister... :D but I still like those two picks...

In a 12 team league the 4 spot is the spot to chose IMO.

You get the tier 1 RB (LT2, Alexander, James, Holmes) that falls to you. And a #2 RB that CAN BE HUGE (A Green, S Jackson L JordaN).

and more importantly, an early 3 round pick where the SURE WRs (as sure as you can be in Ff) are there for the taking: (M Harrison, T Holt, J Walker) after that it's a chasm.

In a 12 team league the 4 spot is the spot to chose IMO.

You get the tier 1 RB (LT2, Alexander, James, Holmes) that falls to you. And a #2 RB that CAN BE HUGE (A Green, S Jackson L JordaN).

and more importantly, an early 3 round pick where the SURE WRs (as sure as you can be in Ff) are there for the taking:  (M Harrison, T Holt, J Walker)  after that it's a chasm.

892811[/snapback]

:D

My thoughts exactly.

Personally, I don't care where I draft, I just want to be as far away as possible from the better drafters in the league.

In a perfect world the very best drafters in your league will have to pick a spot before you, and then you hope that EITHER they both picked the same end of the draft, or that one picked one end and the other picked the other end...in which case you take the middle.

Why?

The farther you are from the best drafters, the better your chance that you'lll have some good talent 'slip' to you.

I think having a good draft is more dependant upon being far away from the better drafters than it is where in the slot you're picking in.

Drafting 12 and getting Jamal and Julius on a sweet turn would not be the worst evening of my life. :D

892722[/snapback]

There is serious RB depth this year. Drafting late is not so bad, but I got Jamal at 7 and missed JJ by two picks in a 12 team league today. I passed on Davis, Ahman, Martin, and Barber to take Lamont Jordan with pick 17.

Personally, I don't care where I draft, I just want to be as far away as possible from the better drafters in the league.

In a perfect world the very best drafters in your league will have to pick a spot before you, and then you hope that EITHER they both picked the same end of the draft, or that one picked one end and the other picked the other end...in which case you take the middle.

Why?

The farther you are from the best drafters, the better your chance that you'lll have some good talent 'slip' to you.

I think having a good draft is more dependant upon being far away from the better drafters than it is where in the slot you're picking in.

893318[/snapback]

Sounds like playing position in Texas Hold 'Em.

As far as I'm concerned there is only one player I absolutely want in round 1, and that is Tomlinson. Everyone else just takes a back seat. So, this year - especially with the RB depth, I take the #1 spot and love it.

I'm usually a fan of the 11th or 12th spot for the stud RB-theory type of draft, but this year not so much. I can see RBs from about 8 to 18 all being equal. I don't know that you really get the difference makers there. I probablly take a stud WR and a RB. I may even be tempted to do something nuts like back-to-back WRs there.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

As far as I'm concerned there is only one player I absolutely want in round 1, and that is Tomlinson.  Everyone else just takes a back seat.  So, this year - especially with the RB depth, I take the #1 spot and love it. 

I'm usually a fan of the 11th or 12th spot for the stud RB-theory type of draft, but this year not so much.  I can see RBs from about 8 to 18 all being equal.    I don't know that you really get the difference makers there.  I probablly take a stud WR and a RB.  I may even be tempted to do something nuts like back-to-back WRs there.

893441[/snapback]

Yep. You could say the RB position "deep" this year...or you could say it's a crapshoot (behind LT).

Make sure to grab Plaxico Burress if you draft around the bottom of the first round.  :D

893292[/snapback]

I will look to see that is actually your first pick after the keepers. :D

First or last.

RB depth is ridiculous this yr. I've fared well with LT, WR, WR, RB in some mocks. You can snag an Owens/Holt combo and still come back with a serviceable back in Staley/Taylor/rook RB