[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting Strategy

devilwoman

Will the pre-season influence your drafting strategy?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will the pre-season influence your drafting strategy?

• YES
    • NO
    • HATE PRE-SEASON

Usually only for the much later rounds as to "sleepers" or backups.

898956[/snapback]

I do this too but this can be misleading too. You have to pick and choose who you think can actually make a difference during the course of a real NFL season and who is just taking advantage of garbage time.

I usually have a few specific things I'm looking for in preseason otherwise, not much.

This year:

Is Buckhalter healthy?

Is randle-el worth $hit?

I'm going to see how Williamson does, he's only got like 45 career receptions.

I'd like to see LaMont Jordan have some good series just to be sure.

I want to see how Faulk and Jackson are used.

And Ron Dayne.

Pre-season means nothing for most positions.

In the rare case of an injury to a starting WR (Steve Smith is the prime example last year), a back up will prove they are capable of being on your roster. Colbert led the league in receiving yards in the pre-season last year, so he did shed some light on his capabilities, but even with Smith out, he was a #3 WR for fantasy football purposes.

RB's are going to prove who the main back up will be, but then, it's hardly worth guessing who's going to get the ball in week 10 if this back up has been playing special teams all year and gets nicked.

Last year, there were some slows that were drooling over Matt Schaub like he was some stud in the making...all he did was dominate in the pre-season. The one game he did start last year against the Saints he had a whopping QB rating of 35.4--but of course he was a stud in the pre-season.

Is Buckhalter healthy?

Is randle-el worth $hit?

I'm going to see how Williamson does, he's only got like 45 career receptions.

I'd like to see LaMont Jordan have some good series just to be sure.

I want to see how Faulk and Jackson are used.

898998[/snapback]

Anybody think of anything else I should add to this list?

899081[/snapback]

How will Warner do with his "new" Holt and Bruce?

And of course are most of the rookies quality NFL players or just great college players.

Pre season is only really critical to assess the top rookie WR and RB picked in the latest draft. I.E. if anybody watched Kevin Jones run in pre season last year he looked great! Of course his numbers did not tell the story and you had to look at how he ran....the blocking was horrible, but he was consistantly making the first would be tackler miss. I drafted that guy in the 5th round last year and he was an achor for my team in the last half of the season (when not injured).

Im going to keep an eye on Arrington and Carnell Williams who are in offenses that have decent skill postion players around them.

Edited by Pancake

I like to watch the rookies but I try not to let what I see in p.s. influence me too much.

899954[/snapback]

It is interesting to see how the first 6 or 7 draft picks are going to be used. Running back being the top on the list. Are they wide eyed and ready to run or are they way in over their heads.

And don't forget Miami's running back situation, i guess it is set for the first 4 weeks but you can never count out Williams.

Beyond following position battles, I pay attention to teams with new coordinators. I want to get a feel for what sort of scheme and tendencies these teams have. Chicago, for instance. Will they become the run first ball control offense that would feature much more Benson than T Jones? Will Benson play on third downs in the preseason?

I'll be looking for changes in NE, Miami (both sides of the ball) and especially the Jets. Will they really go downfield more? How much more? Which WR looks like the deep pattern guy, Coles or McCariens? If one looks more like the possession reciever, that's good to know especially in PPR leagues.

I also like to evaluate O lines some, especially on teams that had some turn over, like GB. If the O line looks like it might gel, Green may move up my list some (I have him pretty low now).

It does influence because of injuries and certain players come up and you might be high on them already....then they make a couple nice plays with the 1st stringers...

even if it is against a vanilla defense, it's still on the field...

899081[/snapback]

Well I guess the entire backfield question in Denver is worth watching. Not that the RAT will show his hand.

Can I vote for "yes" the preseason influences my draft order, but that I also "hate the preseason"? :D

I will be looking at the rookie RB crop, and how they do when they have the ball against first-team defensive players (unless they average about 10 yards a carry against second and third-stringers, I could care less what they do in the second half of preseason games)

I will be looking at proven fantasy studs in new surroundings. (Randy Moss)

I'll be looking at guys who disappointed last season, and how they play against first team Ds (Clinton Portis, Ahman Green)

I will be looking at guys coming back from injuries (Fred Taylor)

And I will be looking for guys who did well last year, but seem to collapse in the preseason (but there are not many of those)