[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leftwich cut!

URLACHERisGOD

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who's he end up with?

tempted to say Falcons, for sure.

As a Bengals homer unenamored w/ Doug Johnson as the QB if Palmer got hurt, I can't say I'd feel all that bad having Leftwhich as the backup.

I have no idea whether the Offense he's run is anywhere similar (similarity would have to be mandatory to make the Bengals).

Why is this a make or break for Del Rio? In the last 3 years he has been 9-7, 12-4, and 8-8. 29-19 overall. That's pretty good in today's NFL...

I've heard prognosticators mention as much. This link and quote (not much admittedly, one "insider's" point of view) shows that there may be something to it...

http://footballguys.com/articles/07interviews_stellino.php

Well, if I knew that, I would be making a lot of money in Vegas. Although it turns out there's a good book out on Vegas, if you win too much, they won't let you bet. If you get a computer and figure out how to beat the spread, you can be effective, except that they will stop taking your bets. So that's a little side issue. But anyway, this is a critical season for the Jaguars. They don't make the playoffs, Del Rio gets fired, Leftwich will be gone. They'll start over, new coach, new quarterback. On the other hand, if they make the playoffs, definitely if they win a playoff game, then they'll be offering Leftwich an extension, assuming he's the guy that takes them there and stays healthy and plays well. Del Rio could probably get an extension. So this is a make or break year. There's no coach since the merger that has failed to win a playoff game in his first five years and then later won a Super Bowl with that team. The days with Tom Landry, who would take seven or eight years to have a winning year, and what was it, eleven years, then he won a Super Bowl? Those days are over. You have to show that you're going to do it soon, and most guys, if they don't make the playoffs after five years get fired. There's a couple of exceptions - Norv Turner in Washington, Dennis Green in Minnesota, and the record holder is Jim Mora, who went from 86-96 I think, about 10 years, never won a playoff game. He lasted about a decade, but that's very unusual. It's pretty likely, if Del Rio doesn't make the playoffs, he'll be gone. So then you've got a lot of turmoil. But if it's a good year, then you've got some stability - stability's always important, and also they need to win because they need to sell tickets. They haven't won a playoff game since 1999. They've got four or five thousand tickets still to sell this year. They're starting a ticket selling campaign. That's very important for a small market team. This is a critical year. In the 13 year history of the franchise, this may be the most important year. Either way, however it goes, it's going to have huge ramifications for the future of the team.

Why is this a make or break for Del Rio? In the last 3 years he has been 9-7, 12-4, and 8-8. 29-19 overall. That's pretty good in today's NFL...

because with that defense, 8-8 should be the minimum. They have not progressed at all offensively. Leftwich, Williams, Jones are way underproducing. Plus, JDR is not a good coach. You only have to watch a few Jags games to see that.

$20 says JDR read what was in SI about the Jags under "Scout's take", and was like, "yeah, let's cut Leftwich" :D

So who's he end up with?

tempted to say Falcons, for sure.

As a Bengals homer unenamored w/ Doug Johnson as the QB if Palmer got hurt, I can't say I'd feel all that bad having Leftwhich as the backup.

I have no idea whether the Offense he's run is anywhere similar (similarity would have to be mandatory to make the Bengals).

The Lions need a backup, but I don't think that Leftwich is Martz material.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=6273

Jags trying to move Leftwich

Garrard named starter

By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com senior editor

08/31/07

The Jaguars will announce at a press conference late Friday afternoon their intention to trade quarterback Byron Leftwich prior to Saturday’s six p.m. deadline for cutting the roster to 53 players. Head coach Jack Del Rio will simultaneously announce that David Garrard is the team’s new official starting quarterback.

“We’ve gone through the offseason, training camp and the preseason with Byron as our starter, but after thorough ongoing evaluation of the entire body of work, we have made the decision that David gives us the best chance to win,” Del Rio said. “We’re naming David as our starting quarterback.

“This is a strong team with a solid roster and we feel that David’s performance and continuing improvement warrants this decision to name him the starter. Byron has been a very important part of this team and this is a significant move to make, but it is a move we feel gives us the best chance of winning,” Del Rio added.

Garrard replaced Leftwich at quarterback in the seventh game of last season and had the Jaguars on the brink of clinching a playoff berth before the team lost its final three games of the season. Garrard started his push for the starting job in the second full week of this summer’s training camp. He continued his impressive play through the preseason, completing 76.6 percent of his passes – 36 of 47 for 456 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions and a 113.4 passer rating.

In 18 regular-season starts, Garrard has a 10-8 record. He’s started 15 games the last two seasons and holds a 9-6 record. He quarterbacked the Jaguars to five wins in the last six games of the 2005 season to cap a 12-4 record and the team’s first playoff berth since 1999.

“Every decision, whether significant or seemingly insignificant, is made with winning in mind,” Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver said. “There are many very difficult decisions that have to be made and this is certainly one of the most difficult decisions we’ve faced. But once the decision is made, we move on together with conviction. Our goal is to put the best team on the field in order to win, and that is what matters. I do want to thank Byron and acknowledge all that he has done for this organization. He is a professional and he will do well wherever he goes.”

The Jaguars made Leftwich the seventh pick of the 2003 draft, the first draft of the Del Rio/James Harris era. Harris, the team’s personnel director, said: “David has played very well throughout the offseason and he’s had an excellent preseason. He has shown improvement and he has earned the opportunity to start. Byron has been a contributor to our team and has always given his best effort every day.”

Leftwich was 24-20 as a starter, completing 789 of 1,344 passes for 9,042 yards, 51 touchdowns and 36 interceptions for a passer rating of 80.5. Leftwich had been the team’s official starting quarterback since the fourth game of his rookie season.

Agreed, but with THAT good of a defense and four cake-walk games a year against HOU and TEN, there's no excuse for their 0-1 playoff record over that time.

ESPN is currently reporting that he's been cut.

Nope ESPN is curently reporting he's been replaced as starter and he's on the block.4:46 p.m. CDT

If Lefty goes to SEA, you might consider wandering by the waiver wire and tucking Seneca Wallace away for good measure ...

I'm not following the logic here...are you saying if Leftwich winds up in Seattle, that Wallace is closer to starting? Hasselbeck?

:D

I am tired today, perhaps I'm a bit slow...

I'm guessing that Leftwich took the news pretty badly when Del Rio told him that the team was going with Gerrard as the starter. That's the only logical explanation that I can come up with for outright releasing a QB (barring a last minute trade) that has been working as the starter throughout the entire offseason. The only other explantion I can come up with is that Weaver is trying to conserve every dollar he possibly can, and it's hard to argue with that theory given the ridiculously frugal offseason we had this year.