[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Sleazy is Pre-Title Game Pot-Splitting?

staniels12

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Splitting the pot to me, is a lot like what the Colts did on Sunday. It isn't sleazy, but do people who prefer to compete want to do it? I want to beat my opponent's butt. Win, lose ot draw, I want to compete. If people want to split pots, it's up to them. I would prefer that they do it quietly. I'd rather not know about it.

So why not just make that the prize money split anyway?

I was offered this my first year playing FF when I made the final. Turned it down flat and went on to win. It's not sleazy but I don't like it personally.

Same here. My first year in the league where my wife worked, I was in the championship with my neighbor. He asked if I wanted to split and I turned it down as well. A few years later somebody else did split the pot before the weekend.

It doesn't hurt anyone else in the league so if the two guys want to split, it doesn't matter to anybody else.

I'll pile on ... if that's how the teams in the finals want to handle it, fine -- it's up to them. If one of them is an "all in" kinda guy, then there's no split and that's fine to. I like the strategy of "if you don't like it, then make the finals and don't split." :wacko:

As long as there's no collusion regarding how the game is played, who cares how the final two divide up their winnings? Let it go.

I'll pile on ... if that's how the teams in the finals want to handle it, fine -- it's up to them. If one of them is an "all in" kinda guy, then there's no split and that's fine to. I like the strategy of "if you don't like it, then make the finals and don't split." :wacko:

As long as there's no collusion regarding how the game is played, who cares how the final two divide up their winnings? Let it go.

Wow, a rare Jelly stain at the Huddle.

Hey, if you want to split, fine. just don't claim a league championship after a split. You split the money, you are co-champs. You didn't have the nut sack to play it out.

Wow, a rare Jelly stain at the Huddle.

Hey, if you want to split, fine. just don't claim a league championship after a split. You split the money, you are co-champs. You didn't have the nut sack to play it out.

Disagree. The championship is the championship, the money is just icing. Like others have said, for those that have a problem with it, tell them to make it to the championship.

Disagree. The championship is the championship, the money is just icing. Like others have said, for those that have a problem with it, tell them to make it to the championship.

LOL... I made the C game in two leagues this year... and I would never consider a split. Take that trash talk elsewhwere! You want to be the Champ, act like one. I won't whine or complain if others do it. I was in a league where it happened. I kept my mouth shut. I just lose some respect for them as competitors, which is my right. I also say a split taints a championship. Again, I have a right to my opinion. If you have a problem with that... tuff boogers. :wacko:

Could not disagree more.

You have that right, as I do to my opinion. Bottom line, it really doesn't matter what you or I think except to ourselves. This is a pissing in the wind debate. You split, I think you are a balless nut sack. You think you are smart. And who really gives a rats butt either way? :wacko:

Edited by Rovers

I assume that the 60-40 was in your favor being the better team on paper prior to the matchup? Otherwise how could you split the winnings before Christmas? Which makes me wonder... If you don't split 50/50, are most people out there splitting before the matchup based on who is favored (like in Seahawks21's case) or waiting to see who the winner of the SB is and then giving that person the larger chunk of the split?

On a side note, I've never offered a split before or been offered one before. I seriously considered it this year though... There is a significant difference in prize money from 1st to 2nd and even though I was total points leader going into the SB, I just had a bad feeling about the matchup. Sure enough, my opponent scored a season high total, even though my point total was high enough to beat him pretty much any other week. In the end, I really only cared about getting my name on the trophy. Money comes and goes.

No, the winner got the bigger part. The pot to split was 480. He came up to me and said "why don't we both take 200 now and play the championship game for $80." My intiial reaction was "heck no you must be crazy!" Then I was talking to his supervisor during a break, and he mentioned that he wanted to do it because he really needed the money. At that point I knew I was going to agree to it, but I had to be sure to razz him a few times throughout the day about it before I ultimately agreed to it at the end of the day. LIke I said, any other scenario, I probably don't do it, especially since I was favored (I was in 1st place all year, and he got in as the wild card). Since I lost, it worked out, but I highly doubt I'll ever do it again. it did take some of the luster out of the championship game.

So if its a free league and everybody walks away with the same winnings is everybody champ - because from the sound of it - being champ has nothing to do with your record, the playoffs or points scored in your opinion

LOL... I made the C game in two leagues this year... and I would never consider a split. Take that trash talk elsewhwere! You want to be the Champ, act like one. I won't whine or complain if others do it. I was in a league where it happened. I kept my mouth shut. I just lose some respect for them as competitors, which is my right. I also say a split taints a championship. Again, I have a right to my opinion. If you have a problem with that... tuff boogers. :D

+1...to me it's like 2- 2nd place winners......the Champ is chicken and a sucker and the 2nd place dude just screwed ya outta tacos :wacko: actually the tacos mean nothin the Champ didn't stick to his guns

While I enjoy the cash when I do come in the money, fantasy football really isnt about cash to me. I am in some leagues that have a 250 dollar payout. Would anyone really bust their balls all year to compete for 250 like my mortgage depended on it ? No, IMO. It is about beating out the other teams , getting a title and the satisfaction / bragging rights / trash talking that comes with it.

While I enjoy the cash when I do come in the money, fantasy football really isnt about cash to me. I am in some leagues that have a 250 dollar payout. Would anyone really bust their balls all year to compete for 250 like my mortgage depended on it ? No, IMO. It is about beating out the other teams , getting a title and the satisfaction / bragging rights / trash talking that comes with it.

Pretty much dead-on.

I have no problem with a cash-split. The championship game is still played for league bragging rights as to who is the best team. The winner still gets his name on the trophy. The cash prize is just an afterthought.

Anyone who is playing strictly for the cash, and not for the bragging rights or good fellings that come with outcoaching your competition, is missing a big part of why fantasy football is so much fun in the first place.

+1

the money is great. but it's all about the glory. the money comes & goes...but your name on the trophy is forever.

I agreed to my first chop this year.

In this league, this guy and I were neck and neck all year. Because we were in the same division, it was a question is both of us were going to make the playoffs, because we clearly had the best teams (IMO), but only four teams make it of 12, so there is only one WC spot.

Our teams went back and forth for the division lead, were very close in points scored, consistency and power rankings.

So we agreed to split the first and second place prizes and leave $100 out of the chop as the contest. I ended up losing by 1.36 points.

I was wondering... is there any competitive hobby or sport that involves prize money that gets split? Regardless of who wins?

Golf? Baseball or football? Poker? Ever heard of two golfers going into a playoff agreeing to split the 1st place money?

That doesn't mean I play FF soley for the money, I don't. Having said that, if I agreed to a split, it just takes the fun out of the championship game, and the luster from having won a league title. The money is a part of it, or I would play in free leagues.

Like I said, if two owners in one of my leagues want to do a split, fine, I won't say anything about it... other than to bust chops and tell them they are co-champs. :wacko:

I was wondering... is there any competitive hobby or sport that involves prize money that gets split? Regardless of who wins?

Golf? Baseball or football? Poker? Ever heard of two golfers going into a playoff agreeing to split the 1st place money?

That doesn't mean I play FF soley for the money, I don't. Having said that, if I agreed to a split, it just takes the fun out of the championship game, and the luster from having won a league title. The money is a part of it, or I would play in free leagues.

Like I said, if two owners in one of my leagues want to do a split, fine, I won't say anything about it... other than to bust chops and tell them they are co-champs. :wacko:

Oops.

Don't think anything is wrong with it personally but I've never done it. Was offered it last year and refused. Fantasy football is a form of gambling. I don't like to get rid of the 'gamble' on the biggest game of the year.

OK, let's use the gambling analogy. Say you put together an 8 bet parlay over the football weekend. 7 things on Sunday and 1 on Monday night. The first 7 cover. Then it dawns on you, your $10 bet is gonna pay about a grand if Monday covers. Of course, you could hedge, bet $500 the other way on that game and assure yourself of walking away with $500. It's a rather common thing to do and precisely what is being discussed. You still gambled, you just quit while you were ahead.

If you're up at the tables, is it bush to not let it all ride on one last hand? Again, that's basically what guys who split the pot are avoiding here.

Mind you, I prefer a skewed split with the winner getting more and would never agree to a predetermined uneven split because one guys team seems better than the other. I still want something to play for. However, the sole reason why people choose to change the split is because both parties involved do not share the opinion of how the money should be split with the majority of the league. If I'm in a league with 11 other friends, most of who are gung ho about winner take all and I just happen to make the finals with one of the few who shares my opinion that 2nd place should get some cash, I should take advantage of that opportunity.

And if any of those guys want to beeyauch about my title not counting, they can suck it. I beat their ass, so they've got nothing to say to me about that.