[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time to pimp my show on FX

tazinib1

Ok its not really MY show but its the show I worked on this year. I was a rigging electric for all 13 episodes and if this show gets good enough ratings, they will bring us back. That's 6 months of solid work. So if you can, check it out. Thanks.

Terriers on FX Sept.8 10pmEST/PT

Terriers from Creator/Executive Producer Ted Griffin (Ocean’s Eleven, Matchstick Men) and Executive Producer Shawn Ryan (The Shield), is a comedic drama starring Donal Logue (The Tao of Steve) and Michael Raymond-James (True Blood). It centers on “Hank Dolworth” (Logue), an ex-cop, who partners with his best friend “Britt Pollack” (Raymond-James) in an unlicensed private investigation business. Comedic, edgy, original, a show about high stakes in the face of low expectations, Terriers explores what it’s like in today's America to be "too small to fail." Co-stars include Laura Allen (Dirt) as “Katie,” Britt’s girlfriend; Rockmond Dunbar (Prison Break) as “Detective Mark Gustafson,” former colleague of Hank; and Jamie Denbo (Weeds) as “Maggie Lefferts,” Hank’s attorney. Craig Brewer (Hustle and Flow, The Shield) directed the pilot episode. Terriers is produced by Fox 21.

I more than likely will not get a screen credit (riggers usually don't) but the IMDB credit is HUGH!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as The Shield was only one of the greatest television shows of all time, I will most definitely be checking this out.

Taz, is there anything in particular we should be looking for that would be your handiwork? Scenes are well-lit, the boom microphone doesn't drift into a shot... what the hell does a rigger do anyway? Grip the best boy?

2V

Seeing as The Shield was only one of the greatest television shows of all time, I will most definitely be checking this out.

Taz, is there anything in particular we should be looking for that would be your handiwork? Scenes are well-lit, the boom microphone doesn't drift into a shot... what the hell does a rigger do anyway? Grip the best boy?

2V

lol. Well there is never 1 thing any 1 person does that he can take credit for. That is the Director of Photography, or the Cinematographer as some of the snooty ones like to call themselves, that calls all the shots for lighting purposes. I did, however, get called onto set a few times as an on-set electrician to cover guys that were sick or what not and during those times we lit up the interrogation rooms, jail scenes. There is a seniority ladder in San Diego that determines who is selected to be on set, unlike LA. As some of you know, I just started about 2 1/2 years ago. Thats cool by me, riggers get more hours and days in the week = MORE MONEY!!

What a rigging electrician does is get to the location or studio hours before production and run all the power cables (called distro) for the set that day. Usually there are multiple locations to be shot on any given day so we would start before dawn and rig the first location. Move onto the next location and by the time we are done with that, go back and pick up all the power from the first, then go set up the 3rd, pick up the 2nd and so and so and so forth. And this repeats every day. Its ALOT of work and we usually had a crew of 8-10 guys working 12-16 hours per day. It's great money when we work but when the show is over, of course you have to scramble to fill in those 6 months until the show comes back.

Most normal electrics don't like to rig cause they like the lime-light of being on set and rigging is too hard. Ya know what? I could care less what I do on a show as long as I'm working on it. Without the riggers, you don't shoot. Period. And that crap is not light. A typical stick of cable weighs 100 pounds over your shoulder and you need 5 different cables per run at 100lbs each. A typcial run of power from a generator is about 400ft so that the power boxes (distro box, the source of power) are far enough away from the generator as to not be heard by sound department. So 5 sticks of 100ft x 4 (400ft) is 20 sticks of cable. Now multiply that by 8 as there are usually 3-4 generators per set. And don't forget the air conditioning which is a totally separate run. Yes..there is usually air conditioning for the talent on a set. Spoiled no?

MOST times though, I am an on-set electric or when I work for an independent gaffer out of LA, I'm a Best Boy Electric. A Best Boy Electric is in charge of the entire truck and the electrics on the crew. For this show though, I had the choice of working 2 or 3 days a week (day player) or getting full time as a rigger. Duh......the choice was not hard.

Edited by tazinib1

Ok its not really MY show but its the show I worked on this year. I was rigging electric for all 13 episodes and if this show gets good enough ratings, they will bring us back.

:wacko:

Rigging = Fluffing

"Electric" = On-set "talent"

Taz --> :tup:

:tup:

Edited by Gopher

Isn't there a way you could have come up with an even gheyer name than "Terriers?" Eh, probably not.

Ugh. Every day on set somebody would come up to us and ask us what the show we were shooting was called. We'd say "Terriers", and they'd say "Oh its a movie about dogs"? ....... egad I don't know why they chose to name it that either.

I have to say FX is becoming one of my favorite networks...

Sons of Anarchy, Sunny in Philadelphia, Rescue Me... honestly I watch more of their original programming than I miss, the only one I can think of that I don't watch is the one with Glen Close in it.

Terriers will be Tivo'd for sure.

Ugh. Every day on set somebody would come up to us and ask us what the show we were shooting was called. We'd say "Terriers", and they'd say "Oh its a movie about dogs"? ....... egad I don't know why they chose to name it that either.
That's what I thought when I read it. Thought you were asking me to watch some dog reality show. :wacko:

Yeah, bad name. Should have went with Hank & the Pollack.