[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stand by for "DeflationGate"

tazinib1

I love all the Patriot homers coming out of the woodwork screaming SCIENCE. Ummmmm yeah you lose PSI due to cold conditions but it's painfully obvious this wasn't the case. 2lb PSI loss AFTER halftime??? :lol: ok good luck with that theory :crazy:

• Like 1

I love all the Patriot homers coming out of the woodwork screaming SCIENCE. Ummmmm yeah you lose PSI due to cold conditions but it's painfully obvious this wasn't the case. 2lb PSI loss AFTER halftime??? :lol: ok good luck with that theory :crazy:

You ever see what balls look like after sitting in a jacuzzi of ice water for 15 minutes?

You ever see what balls look like after sitting in a jacuzzi of ice water for 15 minutes?

There's a hint of implication here that your research sample size isn't limited to just your own...you're a looker at the sauna, aren't you?!

• Like 2

Excerpt from Linked Article

So apparently no they do not.

yes, this is all very interesting, and something i did not know (that each team supplied its own footballs for offense, tailored to its QBs preferences and specs) until "DeflationGate"...so, how about this, NFL? why not adopt a rule whereby each team uses the SAME friggin' balls, supplied by the LEAGUE and inflated to a precise, STANDARD psi, and instead of having someone from each team's equipment staff manage the balls during game play, hire some additional officials for the sole purpose of keeping track of the official game balls? geez, many of the "issues" seen in the NFL are self-induced, and could be solved using basic logic and common sense...if only i were king for a day...LOL

This is NOT what the NFL wants for the biggest story going into the biggest game of the year.

i don't necessisarily always subscribe to this therory, but some PR folks would argue that ANY publicity is "good" publicity...think about it, though, with "DeflationGate" in the news, some folks may be intrigued enough to just tune in to the SB to see if those "cheating patriots" get their just reward...

They broke the rules. They got caught. It was stupid and I do think the Pats push the envelope on the rules.

They also were gonna win that game no matter what and there is a defined punishment for their rule breakage. All the other talk on both sides is a waste of breath. I'm more interested in how the super bowl is going to play out and instead of breakdowns of that all im seeing is ballgate nonsense

If it was just the weather, the balls the Colts used would also be underinflated.

Which makes me wonder, when one team's balls are taken for examination, is SOP to take the other teams as well (because if you find something wrong you know the team caught will say "they did it too").

Or the balls had a leak, right all but one of them and they all leaked the same.

Maybe they'll say the balls lost that air after they were confiscated...

I don't know the answer to any of these questions but the answers should exist and this is all that would be required in order to prove or debunk the the science.

1. What pressure did the official measure pregame?

2. What was the ambient temperature? Which is more a question of was the measurement done indoors or outdoors.

3. Need the same information for the postgame test.

It's really simple to correct pressure for varying temperature. I would be shocked if this is not part of their process already.

What? You mean to tell me they let the "Teams" provide the game balls and expect them to put the right amount to pressure in them without figuring out what the best or most advantageous pressure is for their QB and WRs then apply that information to the game balls. NOoo, say it ain't so.

They may as well give them the choice of picking their own refs and running their own clock too. You mean to tell me they let the teams control the balls and never thought they would do something to them to gain a competitive edge, even if it's only perceived. I guess it's just too much to ask the league to supply the balls, inflate them prior to the game, and control them throughout the game so as to insure there is no such tampering.

Funny, I never thought they would leave the ball control up the the teams. I always assumed the refs had a guy that took care of making sure the balls were regulation. Silly me. Stupid NFL for not controlling that part of the game. The ball should be the same used for both teams and neither team should have sole access or control over the ball used. That makes no sense at all. Just asking for someone to take advantage of the situation and leave it to NE to figure out how.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Heard on the radio that the Ravens tipped off the Colts that they thought the Pats were trucking with the game balls.

I'd heard that it was something they suspected from their meeting earlier in the season. My guess is that most of this honda is made up by someone in the media just to fill a story with some new tidbit of information just so it doesn't sound like the exact same crap being regurgitated ad nauseam.

I'd heard that it was something they suspected from their meeting earlier in the season. My guess is that most of this honda is made up by someone in the media just to fill a story with some new tidbit of information just so it doesn't sound like the exact same crap being regurgitated ad nauseam.

Isn't that their job, take some popular story, add 2 words of "we got this from an unnamed source", paraphrase and link to numerous other stories on the same subject.

I think most teams suspect the Pats particularly and all teams in general of cheating. But this was a smoking gun, a ball handed to an equipment staff of the opposing team who's going to be pretty keen on what the balls should feel like at the proper pressure.

And today Belichik had a press conference to basically say

- I know nothing, we did nothing.

- I was not aware of those rules (BS!)

Maybe he thinks people will believe he isn't fully versed in all rules/regulations governing the NFL (yeah right, he sleeps with a copy of the rules as a pillow). Or that somebody else in the Pats is responsible and he was not aware (right, Mr. control freak wasn't behind or aware of it).

When the Colts gave the officiating crew there list of things to look for during the game, improperly inflated game balls was on the list. The officials were going to check them at halftime regardless and they did and they were within regulation. The entire issue is the balls at the end of the game AFTER HALFTIME

mysteriously lost 2lbs of PSI in 2 quarters of play. There is obviously merit to teams wanting to check the game balls. If you have more than one, it's a conspiracy

:woot:

Edited by tazinib1

The backup balls were put in during the 2nd half and they were all inflated correctly...that's about the time the Patriots put up 21 points. So Brady was probably just trying to make the game more interesting in the 1st half and give Luck a chance.

Not during the 2nd half...prior to it. In fact, if you remember, there was a delay getting off the first play of the 2nd half. That delay was due to the fact they the backup-balls were still being inspected, and the refs had accidentally placed a kicking ball at the line-of-scrimmage.