[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Neighbor Etiquette

whomper

Without fail our neighbor accross the street mows his lawn ever sunday at 9 am. As ive mentioned here before the whomper family are night owls and sleep way past 9. This wakes up my little one every week and in turn makes me or Mrs Whomp have to get up and get her a bottle and sometimes get up for the day if we cant get her back to sleep. Technically the rule is no mowing before 9 but IMO there is an unwritten neighborhood code. We are actually friendly with this family but the friendship has taken a turn in the past few months. Me saying something to him will escalate a small fued our wives are having. Im at the point though that it has to be done and let the chips fall where they may. My question is although our county has the not before 9 rule and he starts at 9 on the dot dont you feel he is breaking the unwritten code of courtesy or is it me ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same "problem" with one of my neighbors but he does his at night around 7:30 when Elise is just getting to sleep. He works as a UPS driver and doesn't get home until 7-7:30 but 1 night every week he starts the Josh Gordon wacking and mowing then. He also has a motorcycle he loves to work on at night, and his driveway is right next to Elise's bedroom. I did say something to him and he apologized about the motorcycle but I don't think I will say anything about mowing that late at night. the only time i mow my lawn that early on a sunday is when I see the mormon neighbors heading to church, I prefer to do it early so it is less hot.

Without fail our neighbor accross the street mows his lawn ever sunday at 9 am. As ive mentioned here before the whomper family are night owls and sleep way past 9. This wakes up my little one every week and in turn makes me or Mrs Whomp have to get up and get her a bottle and sometimes get up for the day if we cant get her back to sleep. Technically the rule is no mowing before 9 but IMO there is an unwritten neighborhood code. We are actually friendly with this family but the friendship has taken a turn in the past few months. Me saying something to him will escalate a small fued our wives are having. Im at the point though that it has to be done and let the chips fall where they may. My question is although our county has the not before 9 rule and he starts at 9 on the dot dont you feel he is breaking the unwritten code of courtesy or is it me ?

1491288[/snapback]

9 is way, way late. Consider your neighbor very courteous that he waits that long. He's probably been staring at his lawn since 7 waiting to mow the thing before it gets too hot.

To put this in perspective: If your neighbor asked you not to mow your lawn at 2 in the afternoon, and wait until 7 at night because he liked to sleep all day, how would you feel about that?

Sorry, 9 am is NOT too early to mow ... git yer ass outta bed.

In Texas the goal is to get the lawn mowed before it gets too hot in the day.

1491291[/snapback]

Wurd

I know when I worked for a lawn service, we also started on the dot as far as when we could begin mowing. Couple of reasons is to get everything done in the day, and it's generally cooler in the AM, so you aren't keeling over from the heat later in the day. Now, that being said, do any of your other neighbors ever mention his morning mowing habits? Being a self admitted night-owl, you may be the only one in the neighborhood who is bothered by this. Hate to say it, but to me he's really not doing anything wrong. I personally start much later in the morning when I mow on weekends though. Usually I don't get going until about 9:30. :D

My question is although our county has the not before 9 rule and he starts at 9 on the dot dont you feel he is breaking the unwritten code of courtesy or is it me ?

1491288[/snapback]

that blows. i am a night owl myself and people active outside of my home are very disturbing..... that being said, i don't think this is an unwritten rule... for it to be i think there would need to be consensus on some level that it is wrong (say, most of the neighborhood were night owls...or if they knew your hours).

i think there is a diplomatic way to approach it with them.

To put this in perspective:  If your neighbor asked you not to mow your lawn at 2 in the afternoon, and wait until 7 at night because he liked to sleep all day, how would you feel about that?

1491300[/snapback]

More people are asleep at 9am then 2 pm

I will say that if my neighbor asked me politely to wait until later in the day, I'd do everything I could to comply, but I'd let him know that if it was the only time I could mow or it looked like rain, I'd probably be mowing.

Having good neighborhood relationships is important.

I know when I worked for a lawn service, we also started on the dot as far as when we could begin mowing.  Couple of reasons is to get everything done in the day, and it's generally cooler in the AM, so you aren't keeling over from the heat later in the day.  Now, that being said, do any of your other neighbors ever mention his morning mowing habits?  Being a self admitted night-owl, you may be the only one in the neighborhood who is bothered by this.  Hate to say it, but to me he's really not doing anything wrong.  I personally start much later in the morning when I mow on weekends though.  Usually I don't get going until about 9:30.  :D

1491305[/snapback]

My next door neighbor mows at 6pm. Th rest of my immediate neighbors us included all use the same landscaper and it gets done during the week while we are at work.

I appreciate the honest opinions which is why I started the thread. Part 2 of the thread..Can anyone recomend a high powered BB gun and some sniper techniques?

I appreciate the honest opinions which is why I started the thread. Part 2 of the thread..Can anyone recomend a high powered BB gun and some sniper techniques?

1491319[/snapback]

:D

Edit to add: I see the :D master ready to reply here

Edited by T_bone65

More people are asleep at 9am then 2 pm

1491313[/snapback]

Unfortunately the world doesn't revolve around your schedule, and your neighborhood does not revolve around your schedule either. Which is to the point that was made ... you wouldn't change your schedule to mow at 2:00 pm so a neighbor could sleep through the morning and into the afternoon so why should you expect a neighbor to adjust his schedule to YOUR pleasure?

9 am is well into mid-morning and it is reasonable to expect that most families are up by then.

I don't normally mow that early, but I really don't think you have a legitimate argument about 9:00. Now if this somehow will prevent you from playing poker on Friday nights going forward, I change my answer and you should kill him.

My elderly neighbor thinks that 7:30 am is a good time to use his snowthrower in the winter. My kids are on his side of the house also. :D

Edited by Puddy

So, could sleeping be used as an excuse in court ? I wonder if someone was ever taken to court for spousal abuse for something he did in his sleep....... :D

So, could sleeping be used as an excuse in court ?  I wonder if someone was ever taken to court for spousal abuse for something he did in his sleep....... :D

1491330[/snapback]

Did you think you were in Cliaz' thread :D

I hate to say it but I think 9:00 isn't to bad.

Did you think you were in Cliaz' thread  :D

1491331[/snapback]

:doah:

Actually, it is my new post-padding technique, from now one all of my responses wil be added to the thread it was meant for, as well as, ten randomly chosen threads......... :D

Edited by Menudo