[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Neighbor Etiquette

whomper

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9??

That's late. Most people out here start doing stuff at 7.

I know after my new neighbors have one of their loud parties until 1 or 2 that I'm out there bright and early the next day revving the quads and mowing my lawn. :D

Without fail our neighbor accross the street mows his lawn ever sunday at 9 am. As ive mentioned here before the whomper family are night owls and sleep way past 9. This wakes up my little one every week and in turn makes me or Mrs Whomp have to get up and get her a bottle and sometimes get up for the day if we cant get her back to sleep. Technically the rule is no mowing before 9 but IMO there is an unwritten neighborhood code. We are actually friendly with this family but the friendship has taken a turn in the past few months. Me saying something to him will escalate a small fued our wives are having. Im at the point though that it has to be done and let the chips fall where they may. My question is although our county has the not before 9 rule and he starts at 9 on the dot dont you feel he is breaking the unwritten code of courtesy or is it me ?

1491288[/snapback]

i think the only proper way to handle this is to give the neighbor the ole' "flaming bag of dog doo" treatment on his front door. door this late at night. it is your only option.

:D

Whomp, I had this discussion with my co-workers a couple weeks back. I didn't want to mow too early, and I was gone for the rest of the day, and all of them said that 9am is very reasonable. But I still did it at night after work, because I'm somewhat new (6 months) to this neighborhood and didn't want to piss somebody off.

I never start mowing my grass before 10:00 am out of common courtesy.  But I am up at 5:30 every morning..

1491382[/snapback]

Exactly..I know this guy has every right to start at 9 but in my opinion even if a family isnt asleep its early to have a mower blasting while people are having breakfast or just getting their day started. I guess im in the minority here and thats what I like about this place and these threads the difference in opinions and perspective..Even if all of you are wrong :D

Exactly..I know this guy has every right to start at 9 but in my opinion even if a family isnt asleep its early to have a mower blasting while people are having breakfast or just getting their day started. I guess im in the minority here and thats what I like about this place and these threads the difference in opinions and perspective..Even if all of you are wrong  :D

1491421[/snapback]

Perhaps you could exhibit some common courtesy and offer to mow his lawn for him when it isn't such a nuisiance to you.

Jeez ... talk about making a mountain outta a mole hill.

1491429[/snapback]

:D

Pot, meet kettle...

Anyways, to the question:

In most cities I've worked with, construction is allowed to start at 7am (with some instances of it being later, depending on the project). I would assume that mowing falls under the same category.

A few years back, I lived by a hugh construction site and was awaken by pile driving at 7am on the dot every weekday. Really, really sucked since I didn't have to be at my office until 9:30 or 10. Nowadays, I'm awaken by the landscapers at my condo complex at 8am on Wednesday mornings, as I'm getting some extra Z's after being up for a 7am conference call. That sucks too.

In any case, whomp... I gotta say that 9am is pretty darn late, even for a weekend, to get started on mowing, etc. :D

Whomp, you need to take the solution into your own hands. Obviously you haven't been drinking enough on Friday night. If you were, you'd still be in the "passed out" phase of the evening. May I suggest a Long Island Ice Tea as a closer?

Whomp, you need to take the solution into your own hands. Obviously you haven't been drinking enough on Friday night. If you were, you'd still be in the "passed out" phase of the evening. May I suggest a Long Island Ice Tea as a closer?

1491505[/snapback]

with a tylenol PM chaser :D

Or you could just put a snake on their back patio, so the wife will force a move...

My elderly neighbor thinks that 7:30 am is a good time to use his snowthrower in the winter.  My kids are on his side of the house also.  :D

1491325[/snapback]

Here in Minnesota, my city allows snowblowers at any time but asks for common courtesy, which most people give. I've frequently had to use mine before 6:30 on work days and people round here understand the need. I'd never do that on a weekend though.

As for the 9am thing, I'm usually up by then but my lazy ass would never start mowing before 11:00 at the earliest. I prefer mowing about 6:00 - 7:00 pm.

I am a late sleeper myself, but I don't think 9 is too early for someone else to be able to cut their lawn.  7 is too early, 8's iffy, but 9 is very reasonable IMHO.

1491432[/snapback]

+1

But it can't hurt to ask him to wait until 10:00.

Here in Minnesota, my city allows snowblowers at any time but asks for common courtesy, which most people give.  I've frequently had to use mine before 6:30 on work days and people round here understand the need. 

1491515[/snapback]

Shovels don't make a lot of noise.

Without fail our neighbor accross the street mows his lawn ever sunday at 9 am. As ive mentioned here before the whomper family are night owls and sleep way past 9. This wakes up my little one every week and in turn makes me or Mrs Whomp have to get up and get her a bottle and sometimes get up for the day if we cant get her back to sleep. Technically the rule is no mowing before 9 but IMO there is an unwritten neighborhood code. We are actually friendly with this family but the friendship has taken a turn in the past few months. Me saying something to him will escalate a small fued our wives are having. Im at the point though that it has to be done and let the chips fall where they may. My question is although our county has the not before 9 rule and he starts at 9 on the dot dont you feel he is breaking the unwritten code of courtesy or is it me ?

1491288[/snapback]

so they've been doing this every sunday for however long, but it only gets to the point where something "has to be done" AFTER your friendship with them has taken a turn, the wives are feuding, etc.?

in any case, i don't see that you have a leg to stand on. sorry. 9 am isn't all that early for most folks, and if they have other stuff they want to do later in the day, or just prefer to do it in the morning when it's cool, who are you to tell them they need to sit on their ass all morning and wait for you to wake up?

if the relationship with them was GOOD, maybe you could go to them and say hey just wondering, would it be possible to maybe do other yard work at 9 am and fire up the lawnmower a bit later? but, as things are tense with them already, going to them with a complaint based on this weak "unwritten code" stuff is likely to only make things with them worse.

so they've been doing this every sunday for however long, but it only gets to the point where something "has to be done" AFTER your friendship with them has taken a turn, the wives are feuding, etc.? 

in any case, i don't see that you have a leg to stand on.  sorry.  9 am isn't all that early for most folks, and if they have other stuff they want to do later in the day, or just prefer to do it in the morning when it's cool, who are you to tell them they need to sit on their ass all morning and wait for you to wake up?

if the relationship with them was GOOD, maybe you could go to them and say hey just wondering, would it be possible to maybe do other yard work at 9 am and fire up the lawnmower a bit later?  but, as things are tense with them already, going to them with a complaint based on this weak "unwritten code" stuff is likely to only make things with them worse.

1491525[/snapback]

Oh, shoot - I missed that whole "the friendship has taken a turn" thing the first time around.

If you complain to him now, after this has been going on for a while, you're acting like a whiny tool who's being passive agressive because his wifey has her panties in a bundle. Please don't do that.

Perhaps you could exhibit some common courtesy and offer to mow his lawn for him when it isn't such a nuisiance to you.

1491429[/snapback]

Easy Francis I was looking for opinions and got it and admitted im in the minority..Its not a major issue which is why I felt it was a good topic for a thread.

Oh, shoot - I missed that whole "the friendship has taken a turn" thing the first time around.

If you complain to him now, after this has been going on for a while, you're acting like a whiny tool who's being passive agressive because his wifey has her panties in a bundle.  Please don't do that.

1491549[/snapback]

The fued isnt the reason for me not saying anything..Im big on harmony with the neighbors.