[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time to shop for a decent watch

Puddy

I've never been one to spend much money on a watch. However, I would like to get a nice watch for my 20th anniversary later this year. I know there are some watch afficionado's on this board. I am looking for advice. Ideally it would be a versatile watch than can be dressed up or down. I'm starting to like the look of some of Movado's pieces. They don't break the bank but I'm curious if they can be worn with khaki's and a button down or are they better saved for a sportcoat or suit. While price is an issue I don't have a target price necessarily in mind (although I'd put my ceiling at $1,500) but wouldn't be ashamed to spend $500 if I liked the watch. For example, I sort of like this one. (should I feel comfortable buying a watch from Overstock.com)?

Thanks for any insight. I'm looking to retire my trusty Pulsar. :wacko:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While price is an issue I don't have a target price necessarily in mind (although I'd put my ceiling at $1,500) but wouldn't be ashamed to spend $500 if I liked the watch.

Puddy, doin' his bit to keep that economic machine that is America humming.

Wait, you're going to be buying a FOREIGN watch, aren't you? Traitor.

I've never been one to spend much money on a watch. However, I would like to get a nice watch for my 20th anniversary later this year. I know there are some watch afficionado's on this board. I am looking for advice. Ideally it would be a versatile watch than can be dressed up or down. I'm starting to like the look of some of Movado's pieces. They don't break the bank but I'm curious if they can be worn with khaki's and a button down or are they better saved for a sportcoat or suit. While price is an issue I don't have a target price necessarily in mind (although I'd put my ceiling at $1,500) but wouldn't be ashamed to spend $500 if I liked the watch. For example, I sort of like this one. (should I feel comfortable buying a watch from Overstock.com)?

Thanks for any insight. I'm looking to retire my trusty Pulsar. :wacko:

Hmm. A nice automatic Seiko can be had easily within that range - or a lower end Tag maybe? Raise your ceiling a bit and get yourself a Rolex Submariner or Explorer II. I've had my Explorer II for 5 years and have never had an issue with it. Paid $2600 for it and could get ~$3500 for it now. Its like having cash on your wrist. If you buy a used Rolex for a decent price you'll never lose a penny on it.

Tags are wonderful and will last 20 years and still remain stylish

check out the new Tissots ..swiss made ( actually one of if not oldest swiss watchmaker ) and they great looking and look rich yet still fairly priced

i have two and love them

Tissot

some nice tissots......

we got my wife one when in CH in '99

some nice tissots......

we got my wife one when in CH in '99

i got my first one around same time in Geneva ...used to go at least once a year for business

got my last one as a going away gift from my old comapny / job

i like them alot and they wont set you back as much as Tag's

What goes into band selection. I assume the leather bands wouldn't last as long. Am I crazy?

Band selection is largely a matter of personal preference. Some believe that nice leather straps are more sophisticated and elegant than metal bracelets. If you're worried about the leather strap wearing out, Timex makes some indestructable watches that might be for you. (Sorry-couldn't resist.)

My suggestion: if you are going to wear this watch with a suit or similar dressy situation, stay away from the typical Tag Heuer style (big stainless steel eveything sports watch. Their Monaco line is pretty cool though.) I say this because: 1) by and large, they are sports watches; and 2) everyone (including me) has one. :wacko:

I could tell you what brand of watches I like, but who cares? The Tourneau website is pretty comprehensive. Pricewise, I think Oris and Raymond Weil will be in your wheelhouse.

My recommendation is a steel watch because of its versatility. It won't look out of place with a suit or a polo shirt. You want the size of the watch to fit your wrist. Not too big and bulky but not too small either. Try a bunch of them on - don't buy a watch that you haven't worn.

Edited by Furd

Tags are wonderful and will last 20 years and still remain stylish

check out the new Tissots ..swiss made ( actually one of if not oldest swiss watchmaker ) and they great looking and look rich yet still fairly priced

i have two and love them

Tissot

I just bought myself a Tissot for Christmas and I like it quite a bit. From what I've read, they have a really good quality to price ratio.

You might find this forum useful: http://forums.watchuseek.com/index.php

it doesn't hurt that i mention that i'll be traveling to switzerland soon and have gotten very good deals out there (which is true about the deals...though i don't currently have a trip planned).

I was about to slap the crap out of you until I read the part in the parentheses