[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gift help

whomper

As some of you know my wifes mom passed away a few months ago. They were exceptionally close and my wife is having a very tough time with it. When she passed I had an old black and white picture of her mom blown up and put in an antique frame and my wife really loved it. I am trying to think of something else I can do that would honor her mother around the holidays. I dont want to do a name a star thing. I already did a beautiful picture.

I used the word gift for lack of a better word. I know it may seem a little off to do that around the holidays because you might think it will bring my wife down but it really has a positive emotional impact on her when we can remember her in a good way.Is there anything any of you have ever done or could think of that you think she might like ?

As some of you know my wifes mom passed away a few months ago. They were exceptionally close and my wife is having a very tough time with it. When she passed I had an old black and white picture of her mom blown up and put in an antique frame and my wife really loved it. I am trying to think of something else I can do that would honor her mother around the holidays. I dont want to do a name a star thing. I already did a beautiful picture.

I used the word gift for lack of a better word. I know it may seem a little off to do that around the holidays because you might think it will bring my wife down but it really has a positive emotional impact on her when we can remember her in a good way.Is there anything any of you have ever done or could think of that you think she might like ?

When you lose someone very close you think of that person everyday. You giving your wife something to cherish will only brighten that thought that day.

On Wiegie's post, we do video tributes here at our funeral home. We take 30 photographs and set them to music. We have a turn around of a day or so. Families bring in all kinds of photos. Grandkids, old family photos, the deceased doing something they enjoy, wedding photos, you get my drift. I know that many families watch these quite often. I have a local lady do mine, but the funeral home that they used may do them, or there are online places that you would just scan in the photos and email them to them and they would make it for you.

Great idea Wiegie but my FIL had all of their home vids transferred to dvd already and Rebb we had that done for the viewing . It came out great and people loved it . It played on a big screen in the back of the funeral parlor and had some nice music with it. Thanks for the suggestions though. Something along those lines is what I am thinking

Donate to a charity that her mother believed in in her mother's name.

Give something to a foster care coalition like Catholic Social Services to help a child in a difficult situation, again in her name.

If her mother was a pet lover, donate to Stray Rescue, SPCA or some other animal help society.

I don't have a link, but I've heard of places that can take several photos (from different angles) and produce a bust statue of a person. So if you have enough photos, they could do it.

Also, although this is not appropriate in this situation, my sister found a company that will make a bobblehead of anyone. As with the bust, you need photos from several angles for them to get the shape of the head correct. She had bobbleheads made of their three kids and gave them to her husband, my BIL. He is an avid bobblehead collector, so he treasures them more than any gift he's ever received.

HTH.

Sounds like you all had a nice selection of photos for the funeral. Why not do a digital frame and transfer all those to a disk for it?

If your wife has retained some of her mother's cherished keepsakes or certain things that remind her of her Mom.....they make display boxes and shadow boxes that you can have engraved or personalized. I like shadow boxes.....sort of picture frames with some depth. These are nice to hang on a wall......or lay down on a coffee table or side table (depending on the items you want displayed).

Because of the depth, you can get really creative with this. Preserved wedding bouquets or corsages from special events.....favorite scarves....you can line it with pictures or tuck in favorite passages or quotes as a background. Or just line it in velvet or lace. It keeps things dust-free.....instead of having it sit out on a table.

I have some of my grandmother's costume jewelry displayed this way. I used to play dress up with her jewelry.......lol. Nice memory!

I also took the iron framework with the old iron footpedal of my great-grandmother's 1910 White sewing machine and made a side table with it. She used to sew with that machine in her upstairs hallway......another nice memory.

Edited by SteelBunz

Sounds like you all had a nice selection of photos for the funeral. Why not do a digital frame and transfer all those to a disk for it?

If your wife has retained some of her mother's cherished keepsakes or certain things that remind her of her Mom.....they make display boxes and shadow boxes that you can have engraved or personalized. I like shadow boxes.....sort of picture frames with some depth. These are nice to hang on a wall......or lay down on a coffee table or side table (depending on the items you want displayed).

Because of the depth, you can get really creative with this. Preserved wedding bouquets or corsages from special events.....favorite scarves....you can line it with pictures or tuck in favorite passages or quotes as a background. Or just line it in velvet or lace. It keeps things dust-free.....instead of having it sit out on a table.

I have some of my grandmother's costume jewelry displayed this way. I used to play dress up with her jewelry.......lol. Nice memory!

I also took the iron framework with the old iron footpedal of my great-grandmother's 1910 White sewing machine and made a side table with it. She used to sew with that machine in her upstairs hallway......another nice memory.

This is what I was thinking. Some of her favorite jewelry or other keepsakes framed or in a shadowbox for display.

What about a photobook? I know Costco has a partnership with a site that can produce a 20+ page book with photos, etc., so, if you have access to the family photos perhaps you could get your wife a nice bound book chronicling her mother's life with photos. I think the photo storage sites like snapfish, etc. can do this as well.

what about some sort of holiday ornament with her named engraved on it to make sure she is kept in all of your hearts every holiday?

christmas tree ornament, angel figurine, or something similar to have around the house as a rememberance?

each year, you could get it out and share a story, tear, or laugh about her?

Great ideas . Thank you. I googled a picture of a shadowbox because I had no idea what it was. Do you buy them blank and put the things in yourself ? If so where do you get them ? I also like the ornament idea a lot. Honestly I liked all the ideas. Cre8 we made a nice donation in her Moms name to St Judes recently. I like the photobook as well but I want this to be a surprise and it may be hard to get the pics since my wife has them all in the same spot.

Great ideas . Thank you. I googled a picture of a shadowbox because I had no idea what it was. Do you buy them blank and put the things in yourself ? If so where do you get them ? I also like the ornament idea a lot. Honestly I liked all the ideas. Cre8 we made a nice donation in her Moms name to St Judes recently. I like the photobook as well but I want this to be a surprise and it may be hard to get the pics since my wife has them all in the same spot.

Around here in these parts you can get the shadow boxes from Michael's arts and crafts store, they come in all shapes and sizes. Google them and see if they have one in your area.

Edited by Hat Trick

Around here in these parts you can get the shadow boxes from Michael's arts and crafts store, they come in all shapes and sizes. Google them and see if they have one in your area.

Yep....Michael's.....JoAnn's might also have some.

Get an idea of what you'd like to put IN them. The depth is important. So is how you'd like to display it. For something you want to lay down...a hinged display box is nicest I think. Fine Home Displays seems to have a nice selection. A glass case for one item.....divided frame for a collection......and some beautiful table top, hinged door frames. I'll google some more.

Honestly Whomp.....lol....I made mine. Balsa wood, tiny "model train" nails, little hinge/hardware sets........LOL. Might be too involved. :wacko:

Edit:

Meadows Display Cases looks like they might have some of the same ones for better prices.

Edited by SteelBunz

Get an idea of what you'd like to put IN them. The depth is important. So is how you'd like to display it. For something you want to lay down...a hinged display box is nicest I think. Fine Home Displays seems to have a nice selection. A glass case for one item.....divided frame for a collection......and some beautiful table top, hinged door frames. I'll google some more.

Honestly Whomp.....lol....I made mine. Balsa wood, tiny "model train" nails, little hinge/hardware sets........LOL. Might be too involved. :wacko:

Edit:

Meadows Display Cases looks like they might have some of the same ones for better prices.

Thanks Bunz. I will take you up on your offer to make me one

Whomp

Something else I'd like to suggest. I know you have a creative side to you. Can you compose something about your mother-in-law? A poem, perhaps? If you can do that, you can find a way to display it. Amongst pictures, an engraving, etc. Or maybe as the center of the shadowbox?

The ornament sounds great as well.

Whomp

Something else I'd like to suggest. I know you have a creative side to you. Can you compose something about your mother-in-law? A poem, perhaps? If you can do that, you can find a way to display it. Amongst pictures, an engraving, etc. Or maybe as the center of the shadowbox?

The ornament sounds great as well.

very good idea. Could be perfect for the middle of the box. Thanks

:D

Give me a call if you're serious.......lol. :D

:D Thanks anyway. I was just trying to deflect attention away from my non handinessnessness :wacko:

Edited by whomper

Honestly Whomp.....lol....I made mine. Balsa wood, tiny "model train" nails, little hinge/hardware sets........

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box...

:wacko:

(Sorry for the inappropriateness of my comment)

Buy a nice journal.

In the journal, you write down memories of your MIL. As many as you can remember. Stories, quirks, recipes, whatever. Then have your kids do the same.

Present it as a "rolling journal". One that you guys can constantly write things in. Things that you may remember about her. Things your wife remembers about her. Take it to family gatherings and have cousins, aunts, uncles, etc write things about her.

In other words, a living, breathing, gathering of the things that made your MIL great. It's a gift that will grow and grow with time, and allow you guys, as a family, to document the things that made her who she was.