[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Facebook conundrum

whomper

I know. I know. Facebook is gay and I am gay. That being said

What to do on the unwanted friend request ? I used to accept people that I didnt really want to then automatically unfriend them. I thought this would make them think I was just never on but I got nailed on that and had someone call me out. Now my kids babysitter (she is a family friend and recently when babysitting for my girls they told her I was on FB so she sent me a request) has friend requested me and my aunt has as well. Its not like I am going hog wild on facebook but every once in a while there are topics and comments that I dont neccesarily want a family member seeing.

Is there a way you can accept someone and block their access to your page without unfriending them ? How do you guys handle the request you dont want to accept if not accepting them as a friend would cause hard feelings or be insulting ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I accept requests from people that I know, unless the association was somehow sketchy. I use the messaging feature and read stuff other people write...that's about it.

I almost never post status updates or respond to anything that could even create a sniff of controversy.

There's no other way to do it IMO. My mom friend requested me. I knew at that moment that my FB life would never amount to any fun.

I accept requests from people that I know, unless the association was somehow sketchy. I use the messaging feature and read stuff other people write...that's about it.

I almost never post status updates or respond to anything that could even create a sniff of controversy.

There's no other way to do it IMO. My mom friend requested me. I knew at that moment that my FB life would never amount to any fun.

When your mom friend requested me, that is when the fun began...................... :wacko:

:tup:

As in real life....I ignore them until they just go away.

Oh, and pocs of the babysitter?

I also know many people that have two accounts...one for their gay Huddler friends and one for their non-gay regular friends and family. :wacko:

:wacko: I knew the babysitter pic requests would fly in. She would ruin babysitter fantasies for all of you. Trust me

You can create "sub-groups" of friends and then adjust your privacy settings as you see fit for that particular group.

I've done this for people I work with etc.. Basically their group is setup to see almost nothing on my page.

Edited by myhousekey

I know. I know. Facebook is gay and I am gay. That being said

What to do on the unwanted friend request ? I used to accept people that I didnt really want to then automatically unfriend them. I thought this would make them think I was just never on but I got nailed on that and had someone call me out. Now my kids babysitter (she is a family friend and recently when babysitting for my girls they told her I was on FB so she sent me a request) has friend requested me and my aunt has as well. Its not like I am going hog wild on facebook but every once in a while there are topics and comments that I dont neccesarily want a family member seeing.

Is there a way you can accept someone and block their access to your page without unfriending them ? How do you guys handle the request you dont want to accept if not accepting them as a friend would cause hard feelings or be insulting ?

Why has no one pointed out his gayness yet?

I defused it

You can create "sub-groups" of friends and then adjust your privacy settings as you see fit for that particular group.

I've done this for people I work with etc.. Basically their group is setup to see almost nothing on my page.

I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. How do i create Said sub groups ?

Why has no one pointed out his gayness yet?

I defused it

That and I am fb friends with about 50 huddlers :wacko:

I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. How do i create Said sub groups ?

Facebook seems to change their interface/settings every freakin' week but I'll do my best to walk you thru it:

1. Click on Friends on the left most column of the main page.

2. At the top of the page click the link that says "Create a List"

3. A popup window will open. Enter the name of your list (I.e. Work, Family, Huddlers etc..) and select the friends you want to be in that list. Then click create list.

Repeat the above steps for all the groups you want to create. Friends can be in multiple groups. For example, I have a group called High School and another one called College. People that went to my high school and my college are in both groups.

Next thing you have to do is adjust your privacy settings so that certain groups can see only things you want them to see. This used to be a lot easier than it is now and I'm not sure why FB changed the setup of it. Nonetheless...

1. Click Account -> Privacy settings in the top right corner of the main FB page.

2. Click profile information.

A page should open that says Bio, Likes and Interests, Birthday...etc..

Each of those items you should be able to "edit settings".

So lets say for Bio, I want everyone to be able to see my Bio except my Work group.

I click the drop down menu and select "Custom".

Here you select "Make this visible to" - Friends of Friends, Friends, Only Me, or Custom.

I normally only like people I'm friends with to be able to see anything so I've selected Friends.

Then you select "Hide this From" and type in the groups you don't want to be able to see your bio. In my example, I select Work.

Then you repeat the same steps for all of the other items on that profile page.

Hope that makes sense.

ETA: Once you've finished all of the above if you go to Account -> Privacy Settings -> Profile there is a link at the top right that says Preview My Profile. Click that link and your profile page will open up. At the top is a box where you can enter a name of a friend of yours and it will show you what your profile page looks like when they visit it.

Edited by myhousekey

Facebook seems to change their interface/settings every freakin' week but I'll do my best to walk you thru it:

3. A popup window will open. Enter the name of your list (I.e. Work, Family, Huddlers etc..) and select the friends you want to be in that list. Then click create list.

Repeat the above steps for all the groups you want to create. Friends can be in multiple groups. For example, I have a group called High School and another one called College. People that went to my high school and my college are in both groups.

Next thing you have to do is adjust your privacy settings so that certain groups can see only things you want them to see. This used to be a lot easier than it is now and I'm not sure why FB changed the setup of it. Nonetheless...

1. Click Account -> Privacy settings in the top right corner of the main FB page.

So lets say for Bio, I want everyone to be able to see my Bio except my Work group.

Here you select "Make this visible to" - Friends of Friends, Friends, Only Me, or Custom.

I normally only like people I'm friends with to be able to see anything so I've selected Friends.

Then you select "Hide this From" and type in the groups you don't want to be able to see your bio. In my example, I select Work.

Hope that makes sense.

Too much work. Accept friendship and move on.

Hope that makes sense.

ETA: Once you've finished all of the above if you go to Account -> Privacy Settings -> Profile there is a link at the top right that says Preview My Profile. Click that link and your profile page will open up. At the top is a box where you can enter a name of a friend of yours and it will show you what your profile page looks like when they visit it.

I do this too, I'll get some random people that I do business with who want to friend me so I add them to my "category 2" list and they can only view basic profile info and photos I load. They don't have access to view my wall, see status updates, or see photos of me from other friends albums.

So if anyone is friends with me here now you know if you've been demoted to the cat 2 list. :wacko:

Edited by twiley