[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Madden NFL 06

Goopster24

My biggest problem with it is the position battles, and how stupid they can be... I opened up the season against the Bengals who were starting Kitna... Because he beat him out at camp, along with Jesse Palmer beating out Eli Manning... I checked to make sure neither were injured, and they were not.

Another problem I have is the pre season injuries... At the start of my season Mike Vick, Dante Culpepper, Donovann McNabb, Ahman Green, and Michael Strahan were all out for the year...Ray Lewis Lewis was out for 9 weeks, and JJ Arrington for 12... seems like they went a little bit too crazy on that...

The passing cone is really frustrating... Its not a bad thing, just a more steep learning curve... It makes it a lot more realistic...

The offensive line actually blocks guys out, which is awesome, actually having holes and what not...

The defense is also much improved as in the middle linebackers make a lot more tackles than in years passed... Greatley improved game in my opinion.

Challenging plays works better

The QB vision and precision passing work great against people who would cheat in 2005 by slowing down the WR.

You now get called for pass interference, besides the obvious tackling before the ball gets there.

The Truck Stick is a nice add on for offensive players.

I like the addition of Smart Routes. A WR will run past the first down markers.

I sucked on offense in 2005, but with precision passing, I'm getting Randy Moss receptions left and right against my friends.

Defense is easier I think in 06. The Game seems more realistic but the WR's can catch the ball easier. It is better than 05 graphics wise and play wise. Superstar mode kind of sucks though.

played a few times last night and getting used to the passing was a real pain, i'd want to throw left and i snap the ball and i'd be looking right, takes some time to get used to it. i will agree that superstar mode is a waste of time.

has anyone tried NCAA 2006, was listening to espn radio while travelling yesterday and one of the hosts said that he plays it over madden

Edited by The Darkside

I have a gripe with the QB controls - there's no button on this year's setup to pull down the passing icons. That's a necessity for me to get out of the pocket. So, I changed the default to Madden 05 controls.

Now, when you do pull them down and then bring them back up, the passing cone does not stay on the receiver it was on before. Instead it looks straight ahead in the direction you're running. Realistic? Yes, but very tough.

Even on All-Madden level, previous versions of the game were way too easy. I think the learning curve is much more difficult this year - I like.

Would you guys say the new features make it worth buying or not? I have updated rosters for this year and have 05 from last year when I bought it.

919054[/snapback]

How did you get updated rosters, just curious, but that was usually my reason for buying the new one was to update the teams

How did you get updated rosters, just curious, but that was usually my reason for buying the new one was to update the teams

920372[/snapback]

you can download updated rosters if you have the online for your ps2. if you don't have it get it from a freind have them save it to a memory card and you can load it to your madden

Another problem I have is the pre season injuries... At the start of my season Mike Vick, Dante Culpepper, Donovann McNabb, Ahman Green, and Michael Strahan were all out for the year...Ray Lewis Lewis was out for 9 weeks, and JJ Arrington for 12... seems like they went a little bit too crazy on that...

i'm on like week 4 and i haven't had any injuries to any player yet

I like NCAA O6 a great deal. The Race for the Heisman mode is cool, IMO. The graphics are good, and they did an excellent job with adjusting the recruiting for in-season visits and such. Haven't opened Madden yet, but will do so when my 2 year old son is done watching Thomas the Tank Engine for the 300th time.

Edited by Ruffian

During the game play the one I have pauses for a few seconds after every play and sometimes during a play. When kicking off I clicked on the power and then it paused for about 5 seconds and then it allowed me to click for accuracy. I played for about 5 minutes and got too annoyed with it. I dont know if one of the game settings is causing it but it is insane.

Anyone else having these same issues?

Edited to add ...

No other game I have does this on my PS2 console. There are no apparent scratches or dust on the disk either.

Edited by max

Haven't gotten Madden yet either but I am a NCAA 06 junkie. Its my game and I think they did a great job this year. I think they made the gameplay smotther and the offensive controls much easier. It isn't as easy to run down their throats like it has been in previous years. Also, the race for the Heisman and updated Dynasty modes have been great

?  What do you mean by the above statement?

919826[/snapback]

If you made your CB stop 5 yards before the circle to where the ball would be thrown, and stood in the way of the WR, it would slow him down enough so that the pass would be missed. People would do that when it was their last defense, usually when blitzing.

I like the new stuff..although it takes some getting used to

The passing cone does force you to read the defense, which makes the game a bit more realistic. Instead of having 4 wideouts go out and having the ability to see all 4 at the same time, you have to generally focus on one side of the field or the other or take more time to switch focus....of course if you play with Manning, you can see 3/4 of the field

I tried the superstar mode last night. Pretty cool...a lot like simm city in which you can define your physique and make most of the choices you need to make on your own. Random sets of parents determine what position you play, but you choose the height, weight, and build of the athlete. There is also a intelligence test that you actually have to take. You select an agent, go through the draft, go through training camp and preseason before starting your first season. All of the above can be simmed of course, but its pretty cool to see the player you created compete for a starting spot on the roster in practice and preseason so i spent a lot of time performing the drills and playing a couple games. Also, you start with your own apartment after the draft with a lot of interaction with Terrell Davis ( your mentor) and various other characters (agent, local gym owner, tatoo shop...)I havent played a regular season game with my superstar yet though.

I am normally a franchise mode player, but i can see myself spending a lot of time in superstar mode when i do have 2 hours or so to kill at a time.

I finally gave the game a good test run last night. I love the passing cone. It takes a bit to get used to, but I think it adds a lot of realism. Even more than that, I love the ability to spot your passes (outside if a defender is on inside coverage, high for a tall receiver, etc.). I did some practice mode and then started the Steeler's franchise. I left it at whatever difficulty the game comes with out of the box, and I destroyed the Eagles 49-3. My 3 QB's comined for well over 80% passing, and my running game shredded their defense. I let Madden call of my plays. I do this in both NCAA and Madden, as it makes the game more challenging for me. Instead of going to my money plays, I have to learn the entire offense. Usually I'll play a full season with the default difficulty session until I win a Super Bowl, and then I up the level, but the default difficulty seemed to easy to me, so I might have to start at a higher level. Has anyone else started playing yet, and what difficulty level are you playing on. I lke to start at a lower level and then increase by season, as I get better and need it to be more challenging, but the default level seemed far too easy on both offense and defense. I did play around with the Superstar Mode, but didn't find it as enticing as Race for the Heisman in NCAA. I'll give it more of a chance though before giving up on it.

I like the new stuff..although it takes some getting used to

The passing cone does force you to read the defense, which makes the game a bit more realistic.  Instead of having 4 wideouts go out and having the ability to see all 4 at the same time, you have to generally focus on one side of the field or the other or take more time to switch focus....of course if you play with Manning, you can see 3/4 of the field

I tried the superstar mode last night.  Pretty cool...a lot like simm city in which you can define your physique and make most of the choices you need to make on your own.  Random sets of parents determine what position you play, but you choose the height, weight, and build of the athlete.  There is also a intelligence test that you actually have to take.  You select an agent, go through the draft, go through training camp and preseason before starting your first season.  All of the above can be simmed of course, but its pretty cool to see the player you created compete for a starting spot on the roster in practice and preseason so i spent a lot of time performing the drills and playing a couple games.  Also, you start with your own apartment after the draft with a lot of interaction with Terrell Davis ( your mentor) and various other characters (agent, local gym owner, tatoo shop...)I havent played a regular season game with my superstar yet though.

I am normally a franchise mode player, but i can see myself spending a lot of time in superstar mode when i do have 2 hours or so to kill at a time.

921539[/snapback]

I did some experiments in superstar mode, and found a way to kinda cheat the system. When choosing your DNA, keep changing it until your father is a pro bowl/hall of fame player at whatever position you want. This basically guarantees that you will have a good overall. Also, you can save right before the draft, and keep restarting if you don't like the team you get drafted by. It will change every time. There's also a way to get a lot of points easily in training camp, but I'm not going to go into those. (keep in mind, this is pretty much cheating, so only use if you are desperate)

One other thing about the game: Brock Lesnar is actually in the game! :D

Help me out with the training camp part of the game and the 'points' in Superstar mode. When I went to it, it seemed to be just a place to practice plays. Is there some kind of point to this ? What can it help your player personally ? Thanks.

"I like NCAA O6 a great deal. The Race for the Heisman mode is cool, IMO"

I agree. I was able to get my player a scholarship to play QB at USC. It is fun how easy it is to play QB for USC. Kind of makes you wonder about how good Matt Leinert actually is.

Would you guys say the new features make it worth buying or not? I have updated rosters for this year and have 05 from last year when I bought it.

919054[/snapback]

I just buy it every year, no questions asked (like most people I think...). It is good this year, but I don't see too much difference from last year. I get it every year because I want to see how they make the second year players, new RBs , new WRs, player moving to new teams, etc....so its always good. I haven't mastered the QB precision thing yet, hoping to do so. Passing seems harder to me in this one, maybe thats because I suck at the precision thing. I wish you could pitch the ball on the fly though, like on a kick return. I have been waiting for that one for a few years now.