[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where have they gone

kcmast

Detlef said that he was leaving because work was taking too much time.

937547[/snapback]

That's too bad. Detlef was one of the better Huddlers to have a substantive discussion with about FF.

Edited by yo mama

I saw detlef just recently in person. He did give up the huddle to be more "productive" with his time. The good news is that he is opening up 3 restaurants in Chapel Hill and Durham.

There was a story about it in the paper a week back or so. I meant to link it and give everybody an update on him, but I never got around to it. I'll see if I can find it now.

EDIT: I found another article on it, but no pics :D

Steakhouses get sophisticated

By GREG COX, Correspondent

After years of languishing in the shadows of trendier cuisines, the steakhouse is making a comeback. And the new generation is most decidedly not your father's beef barn.

Gone is the fusty, stubbornly masculine attitude that once defined the genre. In its place is a contemporary style suited to a sophisticated 21st century clientele.

The menu is given an update, too, though beef still enjoys top billing. JK's (781-3919), which opened in July in North Hills shopping center in North Raleigh, proudly notes that its steaks are cut from prime or top choice corn-fed beef from a small purveyor in Nebraska and aged in house.

But the rest of the menu goes far beyond the traditional token nod to chicken and pasta alternatives. Here the offering includes the likes of grilled quail with white and green asparagus, wild Alaska salmon with gnocchi and sugar snaps, roasted Amish free-range chicken and grilled tuna with white beans, mussels and Virginia ham. The list's strong seafood offering is a reflection of the fact that owner J.K. Norfleet also owns a restaurant on the Outer Banks.

The dining room and lounge have an undeniable masculine feel, with a recurring Wild West horses motif running through the artwork against a backdrop of sage green and mahogany. But large sprays of flowers, potted greenery and an oriental rug on the slate floor of the foyer soften the mood. This may not be your dad's steakhouse, but he wouldn't feel out of place here. Nor would Mom.

Meanwhile in Chapel Hill, Bin 54 is expected to open by the end of this month at Glen Lennox shopping center. The steakhouse is a joint venture of prolific local restaurateur Giorgios Bakatsias and Charlie Deal, a newcomer from California.

The decor promises to live up to Bakatsias' reputation for dramatic design with touches such as Brazilian cherry floors, a curved bar and a dine-in wine cellar. The cellar will be stocked with a selection whose strong showing in Riesling, Pinot Noir and Syrah varietals runs counter to steakhouse tradition.

The bill of fare shows a few flashes of innovation, too. Among the dishes you never would have seen on a steakhouse menu 20 years ago are sea scallops with truffled whipped potatoes and Szechwan pepper-crusted tuna with soy sherry butter sauce. But the bulk of the offering stays true to steakhouse tradition: shrimp cocktail, oysters on the half shell and Caesar salad for starters, followed by the usual assortment of steaks and chops.

But they're hardly usual in terms of quality. You'll find a bone-in 18-ounce prime rib-eye, a 32-ounce dry-aged T-bone for two, Colorado rack of lamb, Niman Ranch pork rib-eye and chicken from Cliff's Meats in Carrboro.

The focus here is clearly on quality of ingredients rather than elaborate preparation. Steaks are simply seasoned with salt and grilled over wood flames.

Come to think of it, steak does not get any more traditional than that.

Edited by billay

I saw detlef just recently in person.  He did give up the huddle to be more "productive" with his time.  The good news is that he is opening up 3 restaurants in Chapel Hill and Durham. 

There was a story about it in the paper a week back or so.  I meant to link it and give everybody an update on him, but I never got around to it.  I'll see if I can find it now.

937613[/snapback]

darn. Now I feel like a slacker. :D

I think Swerski's trailer park got hit by a tornado. I don't think he made it.

Either that, or he got put on so many people's "ignore" lists that he has become, for all intents and purposes, a non-member.

Either way, I don't see many tears being shed.

Saw an old SNL skit last night (Da Bears) with George Wendt/Farley/etc.  What happend to Bill Swerski?

937518[/snapback]

I've been posting here almost every day for the past week or so. :D

I find it sad that Vet's still trying to bait me. I put him on my "ignore" list a couple months ago, but apparently messages from ignore list people still show up when you scroll down to re-read a thread during a reply. Looks like somebody's still not gettin' any at home. :D

At least that means there is only one.

938303[/snapback]

37 is starting to get the picture..I think, if not I will bring the thunder down upon his head, in comparing himself to me as far as "homerism" is concerned. He like I could, and I say could..with effort and practice become the "huddler" source for all things Seahawks...and...and...ah who the h*e*l*l am I kidding, let's let him get into his twenties first. As for the Panthers, always willing to dig for it if I have not already given a heads up to things in Panther Country. Peace PD.