[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TEAM QB Concept - Good or Bad?

McBoog

I am always looking for ways to make my league more competative and rewarding for the GMs that play in it. I am not "totalitarian" in my approach to running the league, and hence, have not been able to "argue" my position on the following well enough to convince the 2/3 I need to implement it.

I have been arguing one basic point in my league for a few years now. It seems to continually fall on deaf ears, but I keep trying to breath life into the dead horse.

This has NEVER affected the outcome of ANY FF game I have been part of, but I see it as such a potential problem that I want to incorporate it. The Monday Night game, to me, was a perfect example that could have changed the outcome of our Championship Game. This was my worst year as a participant in my League, and as the Commish, I think it might have been good since I could focus on my league as I haven’t before (except for the first year when I was setting it up and did not play).

Here Goes.

I believe the a “Team QB” concept is imperative for games to be accurately reflected on a weekly basis. Following are some of the reason why.

1 – Yes. We are all subject to injuries at the other positions. But, the QB is the only position that has no wiggle room. Don’t even try to argue the Kicker and TE position. The points at these positions are too much of a weekly variable to worry about. Most league already do a Team D/ST concept, so it doesn’t apply here.

Both the WR and RB positions have at least one other player that can still “go off” and get that extra TD if your other player goes down. There is a way, at those positions to stay close. If your QB goes down, YOU ARE HOSED. You need to get 10 to 12 out of the QB slot to be competitive on a weekly basis. If the QB goes down in the first series, say goodbye to your game (almost all the time, 90% +…I’ve looked at this in the leagues I play in). I have lost WRs and even a RB in a game and still won, but the QB is different.

2 – Chances are, the second stringer is not going to play as well, but that is what is expected in a “real” game as well. You may not get the points you expect, but you don’t get the goose egg or “3”.

3 - Some say that you should not be rewarded if your QB is stinking the place up and gets pulled. In a real game, you would pull him anyway. In so doing, the risk is taken that the back up will give you a spark. Might suck too. It I to me is a non-issue, you start the starter for a reason, not because he is going to get pulled.

In the Monday night game, Brady got pulled. If Under a team QB concept, if Flutie had scored a TD, the team that lost the Championship game would have won! What do you tell that guy? It was not an injury. It was not a bad game. It happened due to other factors that were not foreseeable. If you start the NE QBs, you are still starting Brady. I don’t understand the heartburn.

Can anyone help me out here. Either give me better arguments for, or tell me why it is a bad concept?

THANX!

Team QB is for homos that don't know how to draft. And for the 32 homers league.

In all seriousness, in 10, 12, or 14 man leagues, Team QB should not even be a consideration. It's idiotic. Why not just apply team RB as well to make it completely idiot proof?

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Team QB is for homos that don't know how to draft. And for the 32 homers league.

In all seriousness, in 10, 12, or 14 man leagues, Team QB should not even be a consideration. It's idiotic. Why not just apply team RB as well to make it completely idiot proof?

1238584[/snapback]

You did not read my post Hugh. Tell me WHY you think it is "for homos". I am not talking about "for the next game". I am talking about the game that is happening NOW!

1238584[/snapback]

I have to agree with Hugh.

The only time I see it being useful is if the league is more than 14 teams.

If you are guaranteed a loss if you QB goes down, maybe the other postions need to score more points. Sounds like your league is too QB heavy.

I have to agree with Hugh.

The only time I see it being useful is if the league is more than 14 teams.

If you are guaranteed a loss if you QB goes down, maybe the other postions need to score more points.  Sounds like your league is too QB heavy.

1238595[/snapback]

Nope. Standard Scoring. 4/TD, one for every 25 pass and 6/TD one point every 10 rush .

I have looked at records of teams for years, good and bad, many different leagues (not just mine), and a QB going down is devestating to your chances of winning a Fantasy game. More so than any other position.

Like I said, this has NEVER affected the outcome of a game I have played in.

You did not read my post Hugh.  Tell me WHY you think it is "for homos".  I am not talking about "for the next game".  I am talking about the game that is happening NOW!

1238589[/snapback]

I just felt like calling someone a homo, that's all. :D

The main reason, and really the only reason that you need, is for drafting strategy. It COMPLETELY changes how you draft QB's, and it COMPLETELY changes entire drafting strategies for arguably the most important fantasy position. By changing I mean simplifying and idiot proofing. One of the most important things to consider when drafting, is durability. Injuries are a hugh part of it. Arizona Team QB would probably have had as much value as Indy Team QB, just to give you an idea. When to draft backup QB's is a HUGH part of FF strategy. Also, taking into consideration that players may be benched in later games is part of the drafting strategy as well.

I just think it takes away so much. Like I said, if you want to play like this, play team RB and team WR as well, that should completely idiot proof drafting. And I don't mean that to slam you, just trying to make a point.

No way would I play in a Team QB league.

Owners of P.Manning, Big Ben, Brady, etc...etc... should have planned properly a few weeks before. Not my fault if a QB gets pulled. This is something you live and die by, especially if you do not or refuse to plan for.

As mentioned earlier, unless it is a high team league, 16 teams or more, I really do not see the reason for this other than to ensure someone does not get screwed for being lazy in not wanting to plan for such events.

Since you have a problem with the concept of only having 1 QB, and if he goes down being in deep sh*t, you could start 2 QB's. That would add an entirely new draft strategy, but it would make draft strategy more difficult, not easier which is what Team QB would do.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I would implement a start 2 QB league before I ever went with a Team QB option.

I just won my friends 12 team local league because my opponent started Steve McNair this past week. Before Miami knocked him out of the game he threw 2 INT's giving my opponenet a -3 for his QB slot. I won 77-68 because of this. In this start 2 QB league Volek has been on someone else's roster for the entire year.

Would a Team QB league vault the STL passing game into a 1st or 2nd round pick. If and only IF they actually pass block next year?

Edited by Fantasy Jesus

You did not read my post Hugh.  Tell me WHY you think it is "for homos".  I am not talking about "for the next game".  I am talking about the game that is happening NOW!

1238589[/snapback]

Like I said, this has NEVER affected the outcome of a game I have played in.

1238603[/snapback]

This has NEVER affected the outcome of ANY FF game I have been part of

1238589[/snapback]

:D

In a league of 12 teams or less, there's no reason to do it. I'm not saying it is bad but with 12 or fewer teams (and unlimited ww moves) it shouldn't matter, unless yer talking about an injury during a game, in which case, $hit happens.

I don't like the team QB idea either. There were rumors that Brady was gonna get pulled if the game was in hand, which going against the Jets, was likely. The owner of Brady should be aware of the situation. I don't like the fact that players get pulled either, but you have to plan around it. I benched Wayne this week, and I'm sure a lot of people benched Manning due to the fact they were only gonna play part of the game. Injuries suck too, but it happens to everybody at every position. The QB position shouldn't get special treatment because of how important the position is. If the QB position is so important that you can't win if you're QB gets hurt or pulled, then you need to refigure your scoring somehow because it's lopsided. I've won many times with my QB getting virtually no points.

I've won many times with my QB getting virtually no points.

1238742[/snapback]

I won a game this year with Kyle Orton as my QB, which is pretty much the same thing.

I've been in a team QB league before and I hated it. It took all the planning out of the QB position, and basically sucked a lot of the fun and strategy out of the game. We sucessfully voted the next year to eliminate team QB. Most of the points that have been raised against it here are spot on with my feelings towards it. This was a 10 team league with 14 man rosters, so there was absolutely no reason to have a team QB.

I too can't see any skill factor in a Team QB. Hugh has already made the necessary points, but a Team QB reminds me of those kiddie blocking things at bowling - no matter how bad you are, they save you from going outside the lanes.

This is like cocooning people against losing in unfortunate circumstances, insurance against bad luck. Definitely not for me.

Have never done team qb, although have weighed the options on it. Where it might affectl me differently is that it's a dynasty, with no waiver wire movements. Our draft is our draft, thats your players. We also start 2 qb's, 2 of which of mine bit the dust with injuries, with people keeping 3-4 qb's, doesn't leave much if want anything else in another position. If not for so many injuries happening to qb's at any time, any team, it's not somnething I'd be weighing. Still undecided to bring it up or not.

I played in one redraft that used team QB. My QB never missed a game, so it never came into play for me. And let's face it, the only thing it really saves you from is when your starter goes down with injury mid-game. The likelihood that your backup QB will score you anything worth having is pretty slim.

A draft and hold total points challenge I did this year also used Team QB. It wasn't any great shakes to get points from Tuiasosopoppopo when Collins was benched. Although by that point, Collins wasn't a bed of roses either.

I'd rather not use it, but I don't think it's a game killer either. Realistically, you still need to draft 2 usable QBs with maybe a backup to your backup in the wings.

I am always looking for ways to make my league more competative and rewarding for the GMs that play in it.  I am not "totalitarian" in my approach to running the league, and hence, have not been able to "argue" my position on the following well enough to convince the 2/3 I need to implement it.

I have been arguing one basic point in my league for a few years now.  It seems to continually fall on deaf ears, but I keep trying to breath life into the dead horse.

This has NEVER affected the outcome of ANY FF game I have been part of, but I see it as such a potential problem that I want to incorporate it.  The Monday Night game, to me, was a perfect example that could have changed the outcome of our Championship Game.  This was my worst year as a participant in my League, and as the Commish, I think it might have been good since I could focus on my league as I haven’t before (except for the first year when I was setting it up and did not play).

Here Goes.

I believe the a “Team QB” concept is imperative for games to be accurately reflected on a weekly basis.  Following are some of the reason why.

1 – Yes.  We are all subject to injuries at the other positions.  But, the QB is the only position that has no wiggle room.  Don’t even try to argue the Kicker and TE position.  The points at these positions are too much of a weekly variable to worry about.  Most league already do a Team D/ST concept, so it doesn’t apply here. 

Both the WR and RB positions have at least one other player that can still “go off” and get that extra TD if your other player goes down.  There is a way, at those positions to stay close.  If your QB goes down, YOU ARE HOSED.  You need to get 10 to 12 out of the QB slot to be competitive on a weekly basis.  If the QB goes down in the first series, say goodbye to your game (almost all the time, 90% +…I’ve looked at this in the leagues I play in).  I have lost WRs and even a RB in a game and still won, but the QB is different.

2 – Chances are, the second stringer is not going to play as well, but that is what is expected in a “real” game as well.  You may not get the points you expect, but you don’t get the goose egg or “3”.

3 -  Some say that you should not be rewarded if your QB is stinking the place up and gets pulled.  In a real game, you would pull him anyway.  In so doing, the risk is taken that the back up will give you a spark.  Might suck too.  It I to me is a non-issue, you start the starter for a reason, not because he is going to get pulled.

In the Monday night game, Brady got pulled.  If Under a team QB concept, if Flutie had scored a TD, the team that lost the Championship game would have won!  What do you tell that guy?  It was not an injury.  It was not a bad game.  It happened due to other factors that were not foreseeable.  If you start the NE QBs, you are still starting Brady.  I don’t understand the heartburn.

Can anyone help me out here.  Either give me better arguments for, or tell me why it is a bad concept?

THANX!

1238580[/snapback]

once again, almost unerringly, McBoog proves to be the worst debater at thehuddle. By a long shot.

Your best argument would be to point to the fact that at the end of the season, when FF championship games are being played QBs are being pulled for their understudies. Team QB is thus a way to ensure that teams pulling their starters because their team has already secured a playoff spot (something that can not be foreseen at the beginning of the season) will not hurt an FF GM.

Every other argument is moot and stupid.

A rule that we implemented on a trail basis for this season was: If the QB that you started leaves the game (for any reason) you will be granted the points (whether positive or negative) for any QB that steps in to finish the game.

The backups points are awarded to you FOR THAT WEEK ONLY!!

In order to get his points the following week, you must aquire him through the wavier wire.

EX: Next season opener, when Rex Grossman breaks something else in his leg in the first quarter, you will be awarded Kyle Orten's points for that game only!

If and when Grossman cannot start the following week, you MUST claim Orten out of the free agent pool.

We had 12 players in our league and 9 of the 12 voted to keep rule for next year.

A rule that we implemented on a trail basis for this season was:  If the QB that you started leaves the game (for any reason) you will be granted the points (whether positive or negative) for any QB that steps in to finish the game. 

The backups points are awarded to you FOR THAT WEEK ONLY!! 

In order to get his points the following week, you must aquire him through the wavier wire.

EX:  Next season opener, when Rex Grossman breaks something else in his leg in the first quarter, you will be awarded Kyle Orten's points for that game only!

If and when Grossman cannot start the following week, you MUST claim Orten out of the free agent pool.

We had 12 players in our league and 9 of the 12 voted to keep rule for next year.

1238887[/snapback]

This concept is fairly interesting. What happens if the backup is already on someones team???

Why not just have 'optimal lineup' while we're at it? That way no one has to make those pesky 'who should I start' decisions (and those posts while we're at it). That way everyone can be happy and things would be a lot more fair (cue REM 'Shiny Happy People' music in background).

Why not just have 'optimal lineup' while we're at it? That way no one has to make those pesky 'who should I start' decisions (and those posts while we're at it).  That way everyone can be happy and things would be a lot more fair (cue REM 'Shiny Happy People' music in background).

1239246[/snapback]

The good news about this concept is that we'd have a lot less action in the Fantasy Advice Forum.

Sounds like H1 and I are on the same page.

Team QB is for lazy owners and dumbs down the league. Injuries happen and they suck ... but attempting to mitigate injuries to QB by playing a team QB is not the answer. Like Hugh said why just the QB ... why not the RB, PK and TE positions too?

Team QB :D ... I will NEVER play in a league that plays team QB.