[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets HC Position

Vet

I heard on WFAN today that the Jets are interested in talking to Jim Haslett about the head coaching positon.

Now, the Jets went 4-12 this season. There were only two teams in the league with a worse record. And we want to go and hire the head coach from one of those teams!? huh!?

I don't think it will happen, but even the thought of it is disturbing to me.

Jets begin coaching search with Vitt By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Joe Vitt, who served as the St. Louis Rams' interim head coach while Mike Martz was sidelined by a bacterial infection to his heart, will interview early next week for the New York Jets' vacancy created by the Friday departure of Herm Edwards.

Jets general manager Terry Bradway said in a press release Friday that he would begin interviewing potential successors to Edwards "immediately," and apparently wasted little time in contacting Vitt, who posted a 4-7 record as the St. Louis interim coach.

Beyond the interim job, Vitt, who is expected to meet with the Jets on Monday, has never been a head coach at any level.

Even before New York and Kansas City arrived at a compensation agreement that allowed Edwards out of the final two years of his contract, Jets officials had begun the process of drawing up possible successors. It is believed that the Jets' list includes several former NFL head coaches. New York officials are expected to interview some current assistants, most likely offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, some time next week.

It is believed that Jets owner Woody Johnson and Bradway prefer someone with previous NFL head coach experience. That could mean recently deposed coaches such as Mike Sherman (Green Bay) and Jim Haslett (New Orleans) might be candidates.

Each of the last four Jets head coaches -- Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Al Groh and Edwards -- departed the team without being fired. Parcells retired, Belichick resigned, Groh left to accept the head coach position at the University of Virginia and Edwards exited to accept the Chiefs' opening.

Clearly, the Jets will seek a candidate who will bring stability to the organization.

Vitt, 51, is a 27-year NFL veteran, principally serving as a linebackers coach and defensive coordinator in the league. He was hospitalized early this week with a staph infection in his hand, but is expected to be released over the weekend. Vitt is not a candidate to fill the Rams' head coach vacancy.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Today's New Your Post:  Re Jets HC Position

Other likely interviewees (in addition to Haslett) include Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, former Packers head coach Mike Sherman, former Rams interim coach Joe Vitt, possibly Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders, Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, former Giants coach Jim Fassel, Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini and Iowa head coack Kirk Ferentz.

Interesting. I know Herm tried to get Mangini as a DC back when he was a DB coach with the Pats. I wonder if he'd leave BB for his own HC gig. I wonder if he's ready for it. Te me he's the most interesting candidate on this list.

I heard on WFAN today that the Jets are interested in talking to Jim Haslett about the head coaching positon.

1253181[/snapback]

The fact that we are persistently hearing names like Jim Haslett and Mike Tice is not very encouraging at all.

On top of that, I'm listening to an interview with Jets GM Terry Bradway on the FAN, and he just said "It remains to be seen what Chad's balls will look like" referring of course to how Chad will be able to throw the football following his second major arm surgery in two years...still, you couldn't think of a better way to phrase that statement Terry? :D

Interesting.  I know Herm tried to get Mangini as a DC back when he was a DB coach with the Pats.  I wonder if he'd leave BB for his own HC gig.  I wonder if he's ready for it.  Te me he's the most interesting candidate on this list.

1254255[/snapback]

Boomer Esiason said on WEEI this morning that the Jets were going to go after Mangini as well. Whether he would take that job is a different story. Probably the worst coaching position in the league right now. Not enough talent and far too big fan expectations were his comments.

I for one, hope he sticks around for a few more years with the Pats.

For some reason, I could see Tice going to the Jets.

1257490[/snapback]

Tice is going to interview this week with the Jets, as well. Tice and the Jets would be a great match, the Long Island team and the Long Island boy, linking up at a time when the franchise could use a jolt of energy.

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9155115

Boomer Esiason said on WEEI this morning that the Jets were going to go after Mangini as well. Whether he would take that job is a different story. Probably the worst coaching position in the league right now. Not enough talent and far too big fan expectations were his comments.

I for one, hope he sticks around for a few more years with the Pats.

1256697[/snapback]

From what I was able to gather from Terry Bradway's (Jets GM) press conferences yesterday the Jets would like to get Mangini, but they are being careful not to make it too obvious that he is the guy they want. And it is clear to me that Haslett is the fallback position. Bradway was talking up Haslett like he was the second coming of Vince Lombardi yesterday.

I don't see Mangini leaving New England to come to the Jets. A - He may not want to coach in the same division as BB. B - BB will get his ear and tell him the Jets job is a crappy job. C - He may simply not be ready for the NY media and fans. So, I think they will end up trying to hire Haslett. Of course, knowing the Jets, they will wait too long to pull the trigger and Haslett will be gone. So they'll end up with Mike Tice. And that will suck.

I disagree with your (or Boomer Esiason's) comment that the Jets job is the worst job in the league. New Orleans is by far the worst job in the league, followed by Detroit and Arizona. Those are the three Siberias of the NFL. New York media and fans are a pain in the ass, but the Jets job is still a decent job.

I still don't know how Mike Tice became an NFL headcoach!

1257608[/snapback]

Yeah, ya gotta wonder. Having heard Tice speak, you know he didnt get the HC job by dazzling the Vikes with words during his interview...

The new coach has to do something about those uniforms, THEY SUCK!!!

1259059[/snapback]

The uniform designs are now decided by a combination of the team executive, the NFL, and Reebok. The HC has no say in it. If the Jets wanted to change those, it would be too late for the 2006 now, as the marketing and distribution of the replica spamshirts would take too long now.

Haslett: Interview with Jets went well

Rams, Texans among the other possibilities

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

By Jeff Duncan

Staff writer

A week after being fired in the Big Easy, former Saints head coach Jim Haslett was wined and dined in the Big Apple as a candidate for the New York Jets' head coaching job.

Haslett was the first of several candidates expected to interview for the position, which opened when Herman Edwards left to take the head coaching position with Kansas City.

Haslett, who interviewed in Detroit last week, said he hopes to schedule more visits later this week. St. Louis, Oakland and Houston are possibilities.

After meeting with Jets officials for dinner Sunday night, Haslett interviewed with team officials for more than nine hours Monday.

"I think it went well," Haslett said. "I enjoyed the opportunity and was impressed with their club."

Jets general manager Terry Bradway said he also plans to interview former Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Tice and former St. Louis Rams interim coach Joe Vitt this week.

Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman also is reportedly among the candidates.

Bradway said he liked the way Haslett handled the team this season in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. He also noted that Haslett is the only coach in Saints history to win a playoff game.

The uniform designs are now decided by a combination of the team executive, the NFL, and Reebok.  The HC has no say in it.  If the Jets wanted to change those, it would be too late for the 2006 now, as the marketing and distribution of the replica spamshirts would take too long now.

1259063[/snapback]

Well then the hc just whispers in the team exec's ear he wants some killer threads and I bet he gets his team some killer threads! :D