[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets HC

Brewer

Someone had to step up and take the worst job around

Report: Jets offer job to Mangini

Story Tools:

FOXSports.com

Posted: 18 minutes ago

The Jets decided Monday to end their search for a new head coach and offer the job to Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini, Newsday is reporting.

Newsday reports that the Jets are expected to finalize details on a contract that is likely to make Mangini its next coach as early as Tuesday. Barring any contractual hang-ups, Mangini, who would become the youngest head coach in the NFL at 34 years old, is likely to accept the job.

Vet may have been onto something yesterday. :D

Vet Yesterday, 9:52 PM Post #1

Huddler Pro

Group: Members

Member No.: 3,403

headlines for the next few days...

I think it will go something like this:

1. Sunday: Jets meet with and are impressed with Pats DC Eric Mangini.

2. Jets offer Mangini head coaching job at reasonable salary.

3. Mangini verbally accepts Jets offer.

4. Monday: Word leaks to press that Mangini has accepted Jets offer.

5. Jets schedule tentative press conference for noon on Tuesday.

6. Tice cancels interview with Jets.

7. Henderson and Heimerdinger resign as Jets coordinators after management makes it clear that Mangini wants to bring in his own staff.

8. Belichick talks Mangini out of taking Jets job. Tells Mangini he's thinking of retiring in a couple of years.

9. Patriots offer Mangini more money to stay as defensive coordinator and make it clear to him that he is the heir apparent to the Pats HC job once Belichick retires.

10. Tuesday: Word leaks to press that Mangini is having second thoughts.

11. Jets cancel scheduled press conference.

12. Patriots issue press release stating that Mangini has agreed to contract extension as Pats defensive coordinator.

13. Jets stand before the rest of the NFL with their pants around their ankles.

So, it looks like we are step 4 of Vets 13 step Jets program.

This kid shouldhave stayed in NE, and got a real HC job down the road. That Jets situation is a disaster. Other than Vilma, the defense is terrible, with Abraham likely moving on, and the OL is average at best. Penny is one of the most over-rated, Qbs in the game, and this team has no running game, and only Coles as a legit target.

Other than Vilma, the defense is terrible, with Abraham likely moving on.

1270626[/snapback]

I know no one seems to like Ty Law on this forum, and probably shouldn't have made the probowl,but hes a better than average player. No one seems to give him any credit at all.

Actually, I think this means that the Jets will rebuild. The defense isn't as bad off as some have said. The D backfield is light at depth at the CB position, and it needs a slant nose tackle, but it's not a bad unit, and can be fixed. The safeties are young and good. Ellis had an off year, but he's still an ex-pro bowler. The offense is a different story. No QB, an old and terrible O line, no game breakers at the WR spots, and serious questions at the RB position.

To me, this signals a change in direction, perhaps cutting Pennington and Martin, and moving forward. Abraham is a nice IDP, but he's grossly over rated in general as a DE. I'm thrilled with this hire, and what I now expect this franchise to do.... get rid of old or oft injured Hermie favorites, and move forward. Mangini will have a minimum two year honeymoon.

PS: Sarge, you don't have a QB either. Parcells wanted to bail until he got bribed back in. He knows how awful the Boys will be! :D

When hes healthy,  but hes hardly healthy.

1270633[/snapback]

I agree, but when I watched that first Jets/NE game first thing I said when I saw him was, "Wow, has he put on a few pounds." I understand the Jets were very disappointed with what they got from him, despite leading the team in INTs (is that right?) because he had so many PI. He's slower, grabbing shirts trying to keep up with WR. This doesn't bode well.

Jets | Team completes Tice interview; Tue Jan 17 12:03:00 a.m.

Jets | Mangini accepts team's offer to become head coach (KFFL) Tue Jan 17 12:10:00 a.m.

I'm suprised it took them 7 minutes to determine they didn't want Tice. I guess that how long it took to get him out of the building and call Mangini.

Jets | Mangini accepts team's offer to become head coach (KFFL) Tue Jan 17 12:10:00 a.m.

I'm suprised it took them 7 minutes to determine they didn't want Tice.  I guess that how long it took to get him out of the building and call Mangini.

1270843[/snapback]

:D

Vet may have been onto something yesterday. :D

Vet  Yesterday, 9:52 PM Post #1 

Huddler Pro

Group: Members

Member No.: 3,403

headlines for the next few days...

I think it will go something like this:

1. Sunday: Jets meet with and are impressed with Pats DC Eric Mangini.

2. Jets offer Mangini head coaching job at reasonable salary.

3. Mangini verbally accepts Jets offer.

4. Monday: Word leaks to press that Mangini has accepted Jets offer.

5. Jets schedule tentative press conference for noon on Tuesday.

6. Tice cancels interview with Jets.

7. Henderson and Heimerdinger resign as Jets coordinators after management makes it clear that Mangini wants to bring in his own staff.

8. Belichick talks Mangini out of taking Jets job. Tells Mangini he's thinking of retiring in a couple of years.

9. Patriots offer Mangini more money to stay as defensive coordinator and make it clear to him that he is the heir apparent to the Pats HC job once Belichick retires.

10. Tuesday: Word leaks to press that Mangini is having second thoughts.

11. Jets cancel scheduled press conference.

12. Patriots issue press release stating that Mangini has agreed to contract extension as Pats defensive coordinator.

13. Jets stand before the rest of the NFL with their pants around their ankles.

So, it looks like we are step 4 of Vets 13 step Jets program.

1270588[/snapback]

:D

I agree, but when I watched that first Jets/NE game first thing I said when I saw him was, "Wow, has he put on a few pounds." I understand the Jets were very disappointed with what they got from him, despite leading the team in INTs (is that right?) because he had so many PI. He's slower, grabbing shirts trying to keep up with WR. This doesn't bode well.

1270806[/snapback]

True, but somehow he got what like 10 ints this year? Pretty good for a fat, slow CB.

Unfortunately, Law is due a sizeable bonus if he is on the roster on March 1st. I'm not sure the Jets can afford to keep him this year.

As far as my 13-step program, I have a feeling Belichick and Mangini are in Foxboro sipping coffee together right now and having a good chuckle over how badly they are going to screw the Jets. Stay tuned.

Unfortunately, Law is due a sizeable bonus if he is on the roster on March 1st.  I'm not sure the Jets can afford to keep him this year.

As far as my 13-step program, I have a feeling Belichick and Mangini are in Foxboro sipping coffee together right now and having a good chuckle over how badly they are going to screw the Jets.  Stay tuned.

1270903[/snapback]

While this is an entertaining theory, there is no way Belichick gives up his job and all those free gray sweatshirts within the next couple of years. The Jets will get Mangini. I will never understand why they didn't promote one of the coordinators. I wonder if Mangini is younger than Heimerdinger? My first job as Jets coach would be to make arrangements for moving up in the draft to get Matt Leinart.

I'm suprised it took them 7 minutes to determine they didn't want Tice.  I guess that how long it took to get him out of the building and call Mangini.

1270843[/snapback]

Newspapers here in NY are saying that they interviewd Tice for roughly 7 hours before offering the job to Mangina.

I wonder why it took 7 hours to interview Tice? Maybe they couldn't get him off the premises.

Mangina willl eventuallly be a good coach. Unfortunately New York is not a patient place to be.

Mangina willl eventuallly be a good coach. Unfortunately New York is not a patient place to be.

1270974[/snapback]

True.

I hope they let Mangini completely dismantle this team. I don't care if they go 0-16 next year. Bite the salary cap bullet for one year and put the team in a position to rebuild.

But they won't, because Terry Bradway's (GM) ass is now on the line and he won't sacrifice a season for the betterment of the team. So they'll keep the same old cast of characters, scratch and claw their way to a 7-9 record for for a couple of years, then have another bad season and fire Mangini.

I've seen this movie before, I know how it ends. ::D

Has anyone heard whether Mangina is going to keep dinger in the fold?

1271445[/snapback]

Word is he is bringing in Rob Ryan in as DC, and Mike Sheppard as the OC.

He worked on the same staff as Sheppard in Cleveland, and was close friends with Ryan on the Pats staff.

Has anyone heard whether Mangina is going to keep dinger in the fold?

1271445[/snapback]

Dinger is being rumord to go to Denver to fill Kubiak's position.

Rumor is Mangini likes Mike Sheppard, OC from New Orleans - and Buddy Ryan's kid - who's been the DC in Oakland.

Hopefully Sheppard won't bring Aaron Brooks with him.

Dinger is being rumord to go to Denver to fill Kubiak's position.

Rumor is Mangini likes Mike Sheppard, OC from New Orleans  - and Buddy Ryan's kid - who's been the DC in Oakland.

Hopefully Sheppard won't bring Aaron Brooks with him.

1271476[/snapback]

Too bad, dinger + Vince Young = :D