[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you prefer two weeks or one leading to SB ?

Menudo

Do you prefer two weeks or one leading to Super Bowl ?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer two weeks or one leading to Super Bowl ?

• One Week
    • Two Weeks

Personally, I HATE having two weeks before the Super Bowl. They should play it the following Sunday. One week is plenty to get the ridiculous barrage of coverage that we will see this week. Two weeks is simply ridiculous. This may surprise some, but how many ways and times do I need it reported that this is Bettis' last chance at the Super Bowl, the Seahawks first appearance, Big Ben vs. Hasselbeck, etc......

What is your take ?

It's like Christmas. The media goes nuts for weeks and by the time it actually rolls around, you're glad all the BS is over.

1284675[/snapback]

Very true. :D

One week is plenty to get the ridiculous barrage of coverage that we will see this week.  Two weeks is simply ridiculous.  This may surprise some, but how many ways and times do I need it reported that this is Bettis' last chance at the Super Bowl, the Seahawks first appearance, Big Ben vs. Hasselbeck, etc......

1284664[/snapback]

Well said, Menudo.

I would like to see only one week, but, like anything else, it comes down to $ and that is why we see the two weeks, IMO. Also, I think the game often seems to be a let down because by the time it is played, fans are sick to death of hearing all the coverage/stories/etc and there is no way the players and the action can live up to the hype the media creates beforehand.

If you look at past results since SB XV or so you'll notice that there are numerous blowouts until SB XXV - the Norwood wide right finish. Off the top of my head that was the first 1 week gap I could remember.

They've done the 1 week thing over the past few years - since 1999? - and it resulted in probably the best run of exciting games we might ever see.

2 weeks seems to allow one of the teams to vaporlock and crumble under the pressure.

Then again, maybe it was just the Bills and Reeves Led Broncos (with the exception of XXV) oh yeah and the Stan Humphries Chargers sucking wind......

I say one week definetly...

Although I agree with the point that it makes me more anxious to get here if there is two, we usually see a better game if there is one...I dont think it will be that way this year, since the teams are pretty evenly matched...but if you have the two weeks, it seems like the team who is better on paper usually wins going away since they have more time to prepare...

Like one example I can think of is SB 36 between the Rams and NE...I believe there was supposed to be two weeks between until 9/11 came along and the entire season was pushed back a week, resulting in the week between being eliminated...I have a feeling that that game was better because the Rams didnt have the time to game plan for the Pats...not to start a holy war with you chowds out there, but give the Rams the extra week, and there may have been a different result...just my speculation of course...

And by the way, I HATE using that example!! If you thought I had alot to say negatively about the SeaHAWKS last week since they are in my division, you should have seen four and six years ago when the Lambs were in the big dance!!

If you look at past results since SB XV or so you'll notice that there are numerous blowouts until SB XXV - the Norwood wide right finish. Off the top of my head that was the first 1 week gap I could remember.

They've done the 1 week thing over the past few years - since 1999? - and it resulted in probably the best run of exciting games we might ever see.

2 weeks seems to allow one of the teams to vaporlock and crumble under the pressure.

Then again, maybe it was just the Bills and Reeves Led Broncos (with the exception of XXV) oh yeah and the Stan Humphries Chargers sucking wind......

1284722[/snapback]

Are you saying since 1999 there has been only one week between the conference championships and the superbowl? Is this correct?

2 weeks for sure. These guys are playing in the biggest arena in the world. Give them time to a)heal b)get used to it c)savor it, because one of the teams walks away with nothing, but a conference trophy. hardly worth it when you look at the big picture.

I hate waiting, but I'm glad for the players...to throw them into the SB with only a week of preparing, just wouldn't be fair.

I'm on the fence. 2 weeks is certainly a long time, but it does give us time to catch our breath. And the players time to get healthy(ier). I know we all want to see the very best product on the field. Yes, momentum is slowed, but it's slowed after a week too.

Are you saying since 1999 there has been only one week between the conference championships and the superbowl? Is this correct?

1284756[/snapback]

More or less: off the top of my head I recall that there was a 1 week gap in 5 of the last 7. That seems about right. The only other time I recall it happening was XXV, during the Gulf War. It's a recent thing, and is certainly more the exception than rule......

I'm on the fence.  2 weeks is certainly a long time, but it does give us time to catch our breath.  And the players time to get healthy(ier).  I know we all want to see the very best product on the field.  Yes, momentum is slowed, but it's slowed after a week too.

1284763[/snapback]

i dont believe its slowed. I mean come on. It's the superbowl. I doubt they gotta set their alarms to get up on Sunday, you know?

but if it slowed, it's slowed on both sides, and thus, still a fair game. 2 weeks is perfect. Give em time to enjoy it. They earned it. They deserve the glory.

Last sunday when S Alexander ran around the track with the trophy reporters were all over him. They couldn't just let him and the fans enjoy the moment.

There are way too many reporters in this country and most of them don't do a good job, but come on that was ridiculous.

I voted 1 week. Forget the SB crap. Get on with the game.

As a fan of neither team, I hate 2 weeks.

If my beloved Dolphins were in, I would love 2 weeks. 2 weeks of Dolphins this and Dolphins that. Interviews, short stories, Miami Dolphin's players top music vids on VH1, Dolphin wives hot underwear selections etc....

But right now, let's get to the game.

Like one example I can think of is SB 36 between the Rams and NE...I believe there was supposed to be two weeks between until 9/11 came along and the entire season was pushed back a week, resulting in the week between being eliminated...I have a feeling that that game was better because the Rams didnt have the time to game plan for the Pats...not to start a holy war with you chowds out there, but give the Rams the extra week, and there may have been a different result...just my speculation of course...

And by the way, I HATE using that example!!  If you thought I had alot to say negatively about the SeaHAWKS last week since they are in my division, you should have seen four and six years ago when the Lambs were in the big dance!!

1284735[/snapback]

That example is why they moved it back to two weeks. It was one week from 1999 to 2002. But for 2001, they had to make a lot of payments to the auto convention to switch dates, to allow the Super Bowl to be pushed back a week, as they had the Superdome scheduled fot that weekend. So the NFL made to 2 weeks again after 2002 so that so if the schedule had to be pushed back a week again, they could still have 1 week for the Super Bowl without moving its date. Edited by Big John

Not interested in stories. Not interested in a continuous onslaught of hyperbole. Not interested in opinions of reporters/announcers who's opinion I wasn't interested in during the season. Not interested in anything but the game itself.

Two weeks is much too long. Two weeks were put into place for the media so the SB could be hyped. We no longer need that hype. Everyone is aware that there is going to be a SB and they are ready for it.

Two weeks of absolute BS by talking heads craving attention for themselves and trying to show how much more important they are than the players/teams is just too much to bear year in and year out.

One week is just fine with me.

If you are in a city that is in the Superbowl, 2 weeks is way too much.

You have everyone on the local news, weathermen, news anchors, lifestyle reporter, etc. throwing their 2 cents in. It's nonstop, and you can tell this will be the only football game they watch all year.

Otherwise, I don't mind the 2 weeks. It's not like the teams are already in Detroit. They still arrive on Monday, and media day is on Tuesday, etc.

I don't blame the NFL for doing the 2 weeks, I mean the participants aren't known until Sunday night, and that would leave the game basically 6 days away.

:D It just gives them more time to make money.

Edited by charty

I don't mind the two weeks personally. I think the teams (due to all the required media coverage) need the two weeks to prepare and do all the interviews etc. It's a hugh event...why not live in the moment for those two weeks and enjoy the ride. You worked the whole season to get there, and some over 30 years...I say sit back enjoy the two weeks and when you get tired of the media turn your tv off or to a different channel.

For me I am going to soak up all the media coverage I can get to see my Hawks during this INCREDIBLE event. GOING TO DETROIT!!! :D