[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Len Bias

justin

Hard to believe that it's been 20 years since Bias died. I was in my aunt's condo in Ocean City, MD and I spent much of the morning watching news clips and not understanding how he could be dead. Like most sports fans in the MD/DC area, it was a day that won't ever be forgotten.

His death tought me to hate/be scared of cocaine, before I even knew what it was.

I think Bill Simmons has a good write-up about itt:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...e=simmons/vault

and a local Baltimore sports writter also put together a good article:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college...ports-headlines

Hard to believe that it's been 20 years since Bias died. I was in my aunt's condo in Ocean City, MD and I spent much of the morning watching news clips and not understanding how he could be dead. Like most sports fans in the MD/DC area, it was a day that won't ever be forgotten.

His death tought me to hate/be scared of cocaine, before I even knew what it was.

I think Bill Simmons has a good write-up about itt:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...e=simmons/vault

and a local Baltimore sports writter also put together a good article:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college...ports-headlines

I'll have to read that Simmons article.

We gotta be getting close to 20 years for Hank Gathers, too. Being on the West Coast, I didn't know much about Len Bias and that whole situation. I did, however, follow LMU and Bo Kimble / Gathers and I was really torn apart when Gathers passed.

That was very very tragic. Len Bias was an incredible talent. He would have been a superstar in the NBA, imo. Hard to believe it has been 20 years.

How very true.....I remember how proud of himself Augherbach (sp?) was when he drafted him, chewing on that cigar of his.

How very true.....I remember how proud of himself Augherbach (sp?) was when he drafted him, chewing on that cigar of his.

I think he was the 2nd pick that year, and I cant remember who was the first pick. And Red knew he got the best player. The Celtics have never recovered from the death of Bias...

A sad day indeed when Len Bias died. I remember being quite surprised. It seems a lifetime ago.

With that said, I don't feel sorry for anyone who loses their life like that to drugs.

I think he was the 2nd pick that year, and I cant remember who was the first pick. And Red knew he got the best player. The Celtics have never recovered from the death of Bias...

Brad Daugherty went to the Cavs with the first pick.

Edit: And looking back, this was a HORRIBLE draft class. Bias was by FAR the cream of the crop in '86. Daugherty had a frustrating career. Some other notables:

Roy Tarpley (7th pick) - Drug problem, got fat and slow(er).

Kenny Walker (5th) - Sky Walker could get up, but didn't amount to a hill of beans.

Chris Washburn (3rd) - Poster child for NBA busts.

Mark Price (25th) - Probably one of the better picks in this draft.

Dennis Rodman (27th) - The Pistons got Rodman AND Salley in this draft.

Jeff Hornacek (46th) - Had a pretty decent career.

Drazen Petrovic (60th) - Another tragic loss.

Edited by darin3

Edit: And looking back, this was a HORRIBLE draft class. Bias was by FAR the cream of the crop in '86. Daugherty had a frustrating career. Some other notables:

Kenny Walker (5th) - Sky Walker could get up, but didn't amount to a hill of beans.

Then again, who is to say Bias wouldn't have joined the horrible draft class? Remember Harold Miner...the little Jordan...or something like that?

Then again, who is to say Bias wouldn't have joined the horrible draft class? Remember Harold Miner...the little Jordan...or something like that?

Could be. Unfortunate that we were never able to find out. I seriously doubt he'd be a hugh flop. He had serious talent.

With that said, I don't feel sorry for anyone who loses their life like that to drugs.

He was a kid. 21 years old. Just got drafted very high to play in the NBA. He was out partying to celebrate and they snorted coke. But for the grace of God go I. Or any of us. It was a tragic mistake that cost him his life. I feel sorry for him and his family...

He was a kid. 21 years old. Just got drafted very high to play in the NBA. He was out partying to celebrate and they snorted coke. But for the grace of God go I. Or any of us. It was a tragic mistake that cost him his life. I feel sorry for him and his family...

Actually it was determined that this was not a one-time thing... he was a "user". Still quite tragic, though.

Must have snorted a ton and must not have been cut.

Len Bias' death always reminds me of my friend, Steve. Not sure why.

And didn't they attribute it to a probable heart condition or something?

I know that I snorted a mountain of that shi@te back in the 80's. Everybody in college did so. But I thankfully I never died. It is just a shame that Bias did with such an incredibly bright future ahead of him.

Yes, Brad Daugherty (who had a decent enough career...), Yes, and Yes. :D

They eventually lost me. And I was a hugh, hugh celtics fan growing up. I was very upset over Len Bias!!

EDIT: And making it worse was basically watching Reggie Lewis die. Obviously he didn;t pass away during that playoff game, but it was the beginning of the end. Very, Very sad.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Ron Harper (8th pick) - also to Cleveland.

Daugherty played 8 years, made the All-Star team 5 times, and led the Cavs to the playoffs 5 times, including 3 50+ win seasons with records of 57-25 in both 1989 & 1992. Unfortunately back trouble led to a shortened career. The only thing "frustrating" about it was that it coincided with the end of Detroit's Bad Boys era and the beginning of the Jordan era.

Ron Harper (8th pick) - also to Cleveland.

Daugherty played 8 years, made the All-Star team 5 times, and led the Cavs to the playoffs 5 times, including 3 50+ win seasons with records of 57-25 in both 1989 & 1992. Unfortunately back trouble led to a shortened career. The only thing "frustrating" about it was that it coincided with the end of Detroit's Bad Boys era and the beginning of the Jordan era.

I don't think it would have mattered. Daugherty was a good player, but he was not a game changing player. He would have been a great number 2 on any team, but that Cavs team needed a stud to lead them to the promised land.

I don't think it would have mattered. Daugherty was a good player, but he was not a game changing player. He would have been a great number 2 on any team, but that Cavs team needed a stud to lead them to the promised land.

He was the #2 option on the team, Price was the #1. Along with Harper, Nance, Hot-Rod Williams, and Craig Ehlo. To win 57 games (twice) is not too shabby, this year's champ will either have 52 wins (Miami) or 60 wins (Dallas).

He was the #2 option on the team, Price was the #1. Along with Harper, Nance, Hot-Rod Williams, and Craig Ehlo. To win 57 games (twice) is not too shabby, this year's champ will either have 52 wins (Miami) or 60 wins (Dallas).

He might have been the #2, but what I am saying is that the team didn't have that true dominant player to take them over the top. The Cavs were never better than the third best team in the Eastern Conference IMO. As a Celtics fan, they never frightened me in those days.

I know that I snorted a mountain of that shi@te back in the 80's. Everybody in college did so. But I thankfully I never died. It is just a shame that Bias did with such an incredibly bright future ahead of him.

Not so fast, trailer boy. I went to college in the 80's and never touched the stuff. You got to go back to Republican training camp.

Not so fast, trailer boy. I went to college in the 80's and never touched the stuff. You got to go back to Republican training camp.

I dont trust anybody that never inhaled or didnt snort some blow if they were in college back in the 1980's...