[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hankk's Corner

Hankk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hankk, all BS aside, your fashion tips are right on the money. Keep the faith, and keep Hankk's corner going. From some of the questions I read, people around here REALLY need you.

Thank you Hugh.

I appreciate the kind words. I'll answer a couple more. :D

Hankk,

when going out to eat at Bier's restaurant, I prefer to wear my classic flannel. You know, red & black. My wife says that my choice is tacky, and that I should be wearing some of the more modern patterns. I suppose that she means green and black or blue and black. :D I'm kind of a traditional guy, and don't think that you can go wrong with classic flannel. Should I tell the Mrs. to leave me and my shirt alone, or should I bend to her way of thinking?

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Dear Hankk,

What do you think of those "sneaker-styled" leather shoes that I see all over the place. You know... brown leather, but they have a stripe or stripes on them as if they were old-school sneakers.

Are they dressy? dressy casual? Ok with jeans but not dress pants? Wedding appropriate?

You'd think more people on this site would need advice. :D

Here's a question for you:

Occasionally when I wear my suits, I'll add a pocket handkerchief as an accent. Do I try and match the shirt, the general color of the ties, or pick out accents from the tie?

:D

Pocket squares are pure class. To answer your questions: no, kinda, and yes. The trick is, you want to compliment, but you don't want to match. And the pocket square should compliment your tie in particular.

Solid pocket squares are a good place to start. White is a classic that will go with anything. If you have a solid red pocket square your tie should probably be another shade of red, etc. Matching a small accent on the tie will probably look good.

It gets a bit trickier when you throw in patterns. Its kinda hard to describe. You need to eyeball it.

My advice if you want to look good. Go up to the best dresser you know and ask him where he gets his clothes. He probably has a guy somewhere. Go to the place wearing your best suit. Tell the guy that you are there to buy a couple ties and you'd like some pocket squares to go with. You'll need the help until you develop the eye.

Good luck with that. :D

Edited by Hankk

When wearing nice jeans and a casual (but nice) button up long sleeve shirt, should the shirt be tucked it or left out?

I know that it's popular, but most guys look sloppy with an untucked shirt.

The secret is predominantly the quality of the shirt and the shirttail. A really nice shirt with a short, square tail looks good untucked and is really meant to be worn that way.

Your average shirt from Banana Republic with the long tail should not be worn untucked.

If there is a doubt, tuck it.

I didn't ask any questions today, but I can't wait until I get home to tell me boys not to wear white socks with their jeans. Not only white socks, but the low cut ones. It wouldn't even be comfortable to watch somebody wear that.

Spread the word Mike. Its god's work. :D

Hankk,

when going out to eat at Bier's restaurant, I prefer to wear my classic flannel. You know, red & black. My wife says that my choice is tacky, and that I should be wearing some of the more modern patterns. I suppose that she means green and black or blue and black. :D I'm kind of a traditional guy, and don't think that you can go wrong with classic flannel. Should I tell the Mrs. to leave me and my shirt alone, or should I bend to her way of thinking?

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Tell the Mrs. that Hankk said that you can't go wrong with a flannel shirt. :D

Dear Hankk,

What do you think of those "sneaker-styled" leather shoes that I see all over the place. You know... brown leather, but they have a stripe or stripes on them as if they were old-school sneakers.

Are they dressy? dressy casual? Ok with jeans but not dress pants? Wedding appropriate?

You mean like these? (I just bought a pair of them.)

Or maybe more like a Steve Madden?

They're best with jeans. But they also work well with casual pants like khakis. I'm not sure what your definition of dress casual is. I wore them to a barbeque recently with a silk Perry Ellis shirt and linen pants. I wouldn't wear them with anything less casual. Or to a wedding.

They're best with jeans. But they also work well with casual pants like khakis. I'm not sure what your definition of dress casual is. I wore them to a barbeque recently with a silk Perry Ellis shirt and linen pants. I wouldn't wear them with anything less casual. Or to a wedding.

Thats the shoe I was talking about..

I have the Steve Maddens.... and a fine pair of State Street's.

Pocket squares are pure class. The trick is, you want to compliment, but you don't want to match. And the pocket square should compliment your tie in particular.

It's surprising how many people are completely unaware of this. I have one white pocket square and in truth, I only pair it up with my white tie.

It's also becoming acceptable of late to forgo the necktie and accent with a pocket square. I consider a necktie to be de rigeur though, so I wouldn't advise attempting this.

we're going to a dinner party, being held in a friend's yard. does this require my zubaz pants, or can i get away with the zubaz shorts?

A sports stadium is the only place it's acceptable to wear zubaz, and even then I'd strongly advise burning them.

hankk: what are your thoughts on hair removal. Specifically, having your groin and back waxed or using electolysis or a lazer?

:D

Funny I was thinking of posting this same question as I was trimming up some unwanted torso hair yesterday. I'm still going to buy that body groomer thing by Philips. I want my 'optical inch'.

It's surprising how many people are completely unaware of this. I have one white pocket square and in truth, I only pair it up with my white tie.

A white tie? :D

Do tell.

A sports stadium is the only place it's acceptable to wear zubaz, and even then I'd strongly advise burning them.

Burn them. Immediately.