[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can we agree that Bush is a bust?

Bronco Billy

In his last 4 games, Bush has 36 carries for 86 yds, a whopping 2.39 ypc. His best game over the past 4 is a 25 yd rushing effort. He is doing better as a receiver, but he hasn't cashed in a rushing or receiving TD yet. 40% of his carries go for 1 yd or less. This guy is looking more and more like a specialty RB/special teams guy.

I thought this was supposed to be the greatest RB to come out in the draft over the past 2 decades or more. Instead, we're seeing a second coming of Kevin Faulk.

Has his play so far changed the opinion of any of those who have a serious man-crush on Bush yet?

Edited by Bronco Billy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. It's too soon.

Looking at video of him he needs to slow, down, wait for the holes to open and then explode through them. He iosn't [patient enough yet. He does everything too fast.

He is a work in progress. For some players the transition from college to pro takes a little longer when the other team keys on your every move.

I don't think you can call him a bust until he gets a shot at carrying full time for at least one game. That hasn't happened yet. :D

My first response is: What HC in his right mind would give a RB who has shown as little as Bush a featured RB position, especially when he has a successful RB like McAllister already carrying the load.

So, how long would you be willing to wait? A year? Two years? Longer? Given Bush's skill set & the way it fits into the NFL, he may never be a featured RB.

Edited by Bronco Billy

No. It's too soon.

Looking at video of him he needs to slow, down, wait for the holes to open and then explode through them. He iosn't [patient enough yet. He does everything too fast.

He is a work in progress. For some players the transition from college to pro takes a little longer when the other team keys on your every move.

But should it take a RB who was purported to be as great as Bush so long to learn how to play in the NFL? RB has probably the shortest learning curve of any position in the NFL other than the kickers.

Shouldn't someone with the alleged talent that Bush has be capable of significantly more production just on sheer talent alone?

In his last 4 games, Bush has 36 carries for 86 yds, a whopping 2.39 ypc. His best game over the past 4 is a 25 yd rushing effort. He is doing better as a receiver, but he hasn't cashed in a rushing or receiving TD yet. 40% of his carries go for 1 yd or less. This guy is looking more and more like a specialty RB/special teams guy.

I thought this was supposed to be the greatest RB to come out in the draft over the past 2 decades or more. Instead, we're seeing a second coming of Kevin Faulk.

Has his play so far changed the opinion of any of those who have a serious man-crush on Bush yet?

From a FF perspective yes he's been a bust so far. From the real world & a Saints fan perspective he's far from being a bust.

From a FF perspective yes he's been a bust so far. From the real world & a Saints fan perspective he's far from being a bust.

???

I don't understand this statement. So one return TD that won a game and a bunch of crappy numbers with no other TDs makes him a NFL success at his position?

I'd respond that the Saints are winning despite Bush, not because of him. Hell, an undrafted rookie WR & a cast off FA QB are making a much larger impact on the team than anything Bush has done.

Edited by Bronco Billy

My first response is: What HC in his right mind would give a RB who has shown as little as Bush a featured RB position, especially when he has a successful RB like McAllister already carrying the load.

So, how long would you be willing to wait? A year? Two years? Longer? Given Bush's skill set & the way it fits into the NFL, he may never be a featured RB.

How long did Priest Holmes sit on the bench? You're saying he is a bust because he isn't producing big numbers, but anyone who knows anything about football can tell you that very few RBs are going to do well unless they get a good 20 carries. Sometimes they get stopped up, but with enough carries in a full game, they have more opportunities to get a feel for the holes that are opening up, and then bust a big run for a large gain.

If you want to judge him as a bust from what little you've seen so far, then you are a fool. He's a rookie RB (still learning the NFL) who has not yet had an opportunity to showcase his talent.

???

I don't understand this statement. So one return TD that won a game and a bunch of crappy numbers with no other TDs makes him a NFL success at his position?

I'd respond that the Saints are winning despite Bush, not because of him. Hell, an undrafted rookie WR & a cast off FA QB are making a much larger impact on the team than anything Bush has done.

That is one more td than Tiki Barber has isn't it? :D

How long did Priest Holmes sit on the bench? You're saying he is a bust because he isn't producing big numbers, but anyone who knows anything about football can tell you that very few RBs are going to do well unless they get a good 20 carries. Sometimes they get stopped up, but with enough carries in a full game, they have more opportunities to get a feel for the holes that are opening up, and then bust a big run for a large gain.

If you want to judge him as a bust from what little you've seen so far, then you are a fool. He's a rookie RB (still learning the NFL) who has not yet had an opportunity to showcase his talent.

Holmes put up good numbers even when he wasn't a featured RB. His track record clearly showed a NFL capable RB before he was sent packing to KC.

Very poor analogy.

Why would it be hard to imagine that Bush could be a bust. Great college players who succeeded because they had great physical ability and were surrounded by superior talent but didn't have pro capability when the differential between their team mates & opponents were evened up in the pros are rife - Archie Griffin, Johnny Rogers, and Lee Suggs spring immediately to mind. Absolute college monsters who couldn't do squat in the pros.

i think he's a bust in terms of what people were saying about him coming out of USC. he was purported to be a super stud. he has not been close to that.

i drafted Maroney in my keeper league ahead of him just because of the size differential. Bush isn't big for his height. and i said it before, he looks like another Tiki Barber to me. it'll take him a couple years to bulk up to be able to run inside....then he may live up to the hype.

He's no Mike Bell... :D

:D

I'll gladly make that comparison. When did Bush put up 136 yds rushing & 2 rushing TDs essentially only playing 1 half of football as a pro? M Bell has shown he has pro capability as a RB so far. Whether he'll succeed is another question, but the capability has been demostrated.

Why would it be hard to imagine that Bush could be a bust.

Oh, he very well could be a bust (it's not that I can't imagine it). But I'll wait until there is some substantive evidence for that call before I make it. You have to want for Bush to be a bust in order to call him that at this point. You're just way too premature here that's all.

I have not seen many Saints games to fully comment on Bush's performance, but the numbers do not back up the lofty position/auction budget I am sure he was taken in many drafts/auctions. Is it possible his role and focus in the passing game is taking away from the reps at RB he needs to learn the pro game? I am not sure. It may be a bit premature to call him a bust at this stage, however if this level of production continues, then Houston will look smart in taking Mario Williams.

BTW, his rushing numbers suggest a serious comparison to Tatum Bell with one exception...Bush doesn't break long runs like Tatum does on occasion, thus vastly improving upon his YPC.

Edited by The Wolf

This reeks of a fishing expedition, but I'll bite.

I agree the comparison to Priest Holmes might not be the most relevant, but I think a comparison to Kevin Jones is. Both are similar backs though Bush is a bit smaller. Here are the stats from Jones first seven games:

15 rushes for 36 yds

12 rushes for 57 yds

4 rushes for 8 yds

2 rushes for 5 yds

13 rushes for 65 yds

11 rushes for 36 yds

12 rushes for 20 yds

Based on this, you could've drawn the same conclusion that Jones was destined to be a bust. However, he figured out you need to be patient in the NFL and wait for the holes to develop. He ended the season with 1100+ yards and a 4.7 ypc average. He's having a great 2006, as well.

Oh, he very well could be a bust (it's not that I can't imagine it). But I'll wait until there is some substantive evidence for that call before I make it. You have to want for Bush to be a bust in order to call him that at this point. You're just way too premature here that's all.

I'll concede your reasoning. I just expected a RB who allegedly has a much talent as Bush is purported to have (Sayers & Faulk comparisons were the norm during the offseason) to be capable of accomplishing a bit more than he's shown so far at RB. He has shown virtually nothing as a RB when he runs the football so far. You'd expect something from him - a long burst of some kind, a long broken field TD to go with all the 1 yd or less runs. Something beside a long punt return and catches showing that he makes for a much better WR than a RB.

Edited by Bronco Billy