[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can we agree that Bush is a bust?

Bronco Billy

I think the thing that bugs me the most is how the media spent all summer hyping this guy as the greatest player ever, and then spent the first three weeks gushing over his incredible performances--JUST WHAT THEY EXPECTED! 100+ total yard games! Around 5 average yards per touch!

Only, wait a minute, that 100+ total yards includes return yardage, and around 5 average yards per touch is WAAAAY less impressive than 5 yards per carry, and in fact Bush has been a situational 'tweener getting promoted and paid like an All-Pro stud workhorse back. I'm not saying he'll NEVER be effective, but I've been calling this guy the Peter Warrick of the new millenium for a long time.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

What a great post - let's write off Bush as a bust less than halfway into his rookie season. Defenses are keying on him too much opening up the Saints O - who are off to a great start b/c of R Bush

Flat out ridiculous.

Yeah, but it got 3 pages worth of responses.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he only tallied about 80 yds from scrimmage, but he sure gets serious style points on his first career rushing td.

As much as I agree with the schools of thought that say Bush may never be a featured back, I re-watched his TD run several times and there arent many (if any) backs in the league that could have scored on that play. He does have some freakish talent. Doesnt mean his is a feature back, but damn he has some mad skills. You just have to wonder how many double reverses a team can run to spring him outside. Seems like NFL LBs can outrun or run with most backs to the outside and the Saints needed some trickery to create enough surprise.

Still, he turns that corner better than anyone ive seen since Barry Sanders and has the ahtleticism to get into the endzone once he sniffs it. Pretty TD run.

I think you can draft him as a #2 every year from here on out and be satisfied....

he'll run some plays, and he just rushes alot when he runs...he doesn't seem to have his timing down yet...

when he catches, he's much better....once he starts running better, it won't matter that he splits time with McAllister as RBBC's are taking over the NFL....

he'll be a top candidate for RBBC fantasy backs...

let's calm down - he is a rookie. I would venture a guess that Dorsett, Tiki, M Faulk, Sanders, other less than big backs went thru some growing pains as they adjusted to the NFL. yeah, he was over-hyped, can he turn into a franchise type RB eventually?? absolutely.

Edited by wildcat2334

I think the thing that bugs me the most is how the media spent all summer hyping this guy as the greatest player ever, and then spent the first three weeks gushing over his incredible performances--JUST WHAT THEY EXPECTED! 100+ total yard games! Around 5 average yards per touch!

Only, wait a minute, that 100+ total yards includes return yardage, and around 5 average yards per touch is WAAAAY less impressive than 5 yards per carry, and in fact Bush has been a situational 'tweener getting promoted and paid like an All-Pro stud workhorse back. I'm not saying he'll NEVER be effective, but I've been calling this guy the Peter Warrick of the new millenium for a long time.

Peace

policy

Serious knowledge droppin' going on here.

Although I think he's more comparable to Eric Metcalf than Peter Warrick.

PV is dropping something- but it ain't knowledge...

Warrick comment is a joke....

Metcalfe?? naw- just do not see it. Sounds to me like the media hype is causing everyone to overreact and be negative as he11 on the guy

let's calm down - he is a rookie. I would venture a guess that Dorsett, Tiki, M Faulk, Sanders, other less than big backs went thru some growing pains as they adjusted to the NFL.

You'd be wrong, for the most part - Dorsett finished 9th in rushing with 13 tds from scrimmage his rookie years; Faulk was 5th in rushing, had 1800 yds from scrimmage, 52 catches, and 12 total tds; Sanders was 2nd in rushing with 14 rushing tds. Heck, Warrick Dunn finished just shy of 1000 yds rushing. It took Tiki and Westbrook some time to start producing - Tiki had a lack of opportunity more than anything.

Adapting to the NFL is EASIEST at RB. Once a guy with talent acclimates to the speed of the game he should have no problem when he carries the ball.

You'd be wrong, for the most part - Dorsett finished 9th in rushing with 13 tds from scrimmage his rookie years; Faulk was 5th in rushing, had 1800 yds from scrimmage, 52 catches, and 12 total tds; Sanders was 2nd in rushing with 14 rushing tds. Heck, Warrick Dunn finished just shy of 1000 yds rushing. It took Tiki and Westbrook some time to start producing - Tiki had a lack of opportunity more than anything.

Adapting to the NFL is EASIEST at RB. Once a guy with talent acclimates to the speed of the game he should have no problem when he carries the ball.

well done- I stand corrected. I think you can throw him in the lack of opportunity group with Tiki, I just think his freakish talent will win out. Whether it is gaining 10-15 more lbs, and running better up the middle, or just figuring out what he needs to succeed, getting in the right system.

We'll all be telling our kids and grandkids one day that we saw the first RB that redefined the role of the NFL running back. He's futuristic! Ahead of his time! He's a Saint!

Edited by Rockerbraves

well done- I stand corrected. I think you can throw him in the lack of opportunity group with Tiki, I just think his freakish talent will win out. Whether it is gaining 10-15 more lbs, and running better up the middle, or just figuring out what he needs to succeed, getting in the right system.

Not quite - Tiki got 170 touches in 12 games his rookie year, but then was shunted aside until his 4th year. Bush already has 144 touches through 9 games and will remains a large part of the Saints' attack.

I was a bit disingenuous above, as well - a NORMAL RB faces an easy acclimation - it's pretty much "take the ball and run thataway" - what the Saints are asking Bush to do as far as being a multiple threat is a bit more difficult. That being said, that shouldn't affect his yds/att - 2.8 is simply unacceptable, especially when the other RB in the committee is at 4.3.

How 'bout this for evidence of ridiculously excessive hype: I just heard on ESPNradio that a preseason SI survey of a few hundred NFL players asked the question, "Which one player would you build a team around?"

The top 4 answers: P. Manning (29%), T. Brady (16%), L. Tomlinson (10%), aaaannnnd...REGGIE BUSH (3%). Are you kidding me? Before the kid even played a real NFL game??

The hype with Reggie was out of control -- to the point where a lot of professional football players became convinced that Bush was more valuable than, say, Larry Johnson. Or the league MVP, Shaun Alexander. Or Clinton Portis. Or Steve Smith.

In Reggie's case, there's just absolutely no way that the production will equal the pre-NFL hype.

Lofty expectations by whom? The FF community? He has 42 recs, a Punt return for TD, etc. Payton is using him brilliantly IMO and in a way that maximizes Deuce's effectiveness as well. Did anyone expect Deuce to return from his knee injury and perform this well? He's averaging 4.7 ypc, in part because of Reggie's presence. Payton spreads the DEF w/ Bush, and for most part, Deuce has capitalized on the big running lanes he's seen as a result. His impact is far beyond stats buddy. Remember, alot of "featured" NFL backs were special teamers, etc. their first year. Deuce returned punts his first year for crying out loud. I don't totally dismiss your thinking about his skill set, and fitting into the NFL...but trust me, he will be a featured back...in due time. Deuce is still the #1 RB, and benefiting from Bush's presence, while Reggie is definitely the most featured weapon. Plus, who cares if he puts up LJ type numbers, besides us FF'ers? His play will result in alot more Saints "W"s in the future....and that's why they are happy as heII to have him there. He'll have some 1000+ rushing yd seasons under his belt when he's done...but his total body of work and receiving skills will set him apart from alot of RBs. To call him just a RB isn't really fair. The guy is a weapon and just when you think you've got him contained...will hurt you in the blink of an eye. Also, most importantly....he's a winner, and the Saints needed that more than LJ #s.

I agree with mostly everything said with regard to small sampling size etc, but Billy has a point.

Reggie Bush was hailed as the next "Gale Sayers", the best college player to come out in a century! Seriously, I can't ever remember a fraction of the hype for any player in my lifetime.

There is no question Reggie was hailed as a GOD, who would rip up the NFL, carry a team, and instantly be successful.

Using that as a comparison, he surely has not lived up to expectations and can be considered a bust. Comparing to him to Priest Holmes, Barber, and others is not an apples-to-apples comparison, as they were NEVER hailed as an instant Gale Sayers or sure fire Hall of Famer before entering the NFL.

How the Saints use him is irrelivant, as if he WAS as good as he was hyped to be, he would be getting 20+ carries a game.

That said, he may still be a great RB, as it is too early to label him a complete bust, but I don't think there is any question he is a bust when compared to his hype and expectations.

Using that as a comparison, he surely has not lived up to expectations and can be considered a bust.

I don't agree. He's a rookie and needs time to settle in. I have him on a dynasty team and most don't start him any more than they start other rookies. I started Jennings a few games only because he wasn't playing as a rookie.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone still thinks of Bush as a bust?

Too early to make that assessment. But he is still falling far short of what the hype machine predicted for him (which is hardly his fault, but I'm just sayin').

It would probably be nice to see him RUSH for 100 yds before the season is out.

Too early to make that assessment. But he is still falling far short of what the hype machine predicted for him (which is hardly his fault, but I'm just sayin').

Don't see that happening unless McAllister were to get hurt.

Don't see that happening unless McAllister were to get hurt.

True - he apparently won't get more than 10 carries unless Deuce goes down.

Again, not his fault, but I'd like to see him consistently handle a full load before anointing him anything. I mean, MJD has 2 100 yd games in a similar situation.

True - he apparently won't get more than 10 carries unless Deuce goes down.

Again, not his fault, but I'd like to see him consistently handle a full load before anointing him anything. I mean, MJD has 2 100 yd games in a similar situation.

Good point with MJD...although 1 of those 100 yarders came against Indy.

I think my Grand Ma could run for a 100 on Indy...and she passed away 5 years ago.

7 TD's now. Vegas had the Bush TD's over/under at 9 1/2. It's gonna be close.

im telling you guys, just give bush one nfl offseason to bulk up some and gain experience, and he will become a great back. willie parker put on about 10 or so pounds in the offseason has become one of the premiere backs in the league, running with a lot more power than last year. not only that, but give him some time to mature. he has all that speed and doesnt know how to handle it yet. i cant believe people were calling him a bust so quickly.

pfff- not true. These days a swing pass is essentially the same as running the ball, He is gonna catch close to 100 balls, does it really matter, especially in his rookie year how he is getting his yards. SD used to throw to LT early on a ton. He is making good NFL D's and defenders look stupid. He will grow into a better between the tackles runner with time. Media hype machine? uh, I think he is looking to equal the hype, which he deserves a he11 of a lot of credit for, tough situation for the kid, he has handled it well. Have not seen many players do the things he can do on the field. BW, Tiki, WDunn, the little fellas can get it done.

Personally have not seen that kind of speed, elusivenes and agility, and making people tackle air since Barry Sanders. Time will tell but he is playin some ball........

Peter Warrick, Eric Metcalfe - :D