[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Christmas Trees

nuke'em ttg

Just curious, what are the prices your all paying around the country for lets say a 6ft blue spruce?

$22.00 last year at a cut your own place about 7 miles from the house. Heard the price is going up this year though it won't matter as I won't be having a tree this year.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And being born leads to death too.... so what?

You teach the dog not to bite the kids and not to eat the needles. *sigh* Have never had a dog that ate the needles.... not once. Have never had a cat or dog that knocked over a tree or even bothered a tree. It's called discipline and training.

Good for you. Neither have I but why risk it.

A friend of mine had a dog that was well trained and a show dog. The dog choked on the needles and died. The dog never bothered the tree in years past but one year. Well, that one year caused the death of the dog. Train the dog all you want, ultimately they're still animals that will do what they want to do when their master is not around.

Good for you. Neither have I but why risk it.

A friend of mine had a dog that was well trained and a show dog. The dog choked on the needles and died. The dog never bothered the tree in years past but one year. Well, that one year caused the death of the dog. Train the dog all you want, ultimately they're still animals that will do what they want to do when their master is not around.

I am sorry about your friends dog. I guess it does happen... though I have to admit I have never heard of an animal dying (or even getting sick) because of something like that. That's a first for me.

However.... I think I am missing the logic of your argument against real trees. Life has a way of intruding no matter what plans or precautions one makes. That is the nature of the beast. If one lives their life based on what-ifs one misses out on a tremendous amount of enjoyable things. You just do the best you can, hope for the best, and take what happens. But you can't, at least from my way of thinking, let what-ifs dictate your life.

Each to his own though... and if you feel safer not having a real tree... then more power to ya. The whole idea is to enjoy.... :D

I am sorry about your friends dog. I guess it does happen... though I have to admit I have never heard of an animal dying (or even getting sick) because of something like that. That's a first for me.

However.... I think I am missing the logic of your argument against real trees. Life has a way of intruding no matter what plans or precautions one makes. That is the nature of the beast. If one lives their life based on what-ifs one misses out on a tremendous amount of enjoyable things. You just do the best you can, hope for the best, and take what happens. But you can't, at least from my way of thinking, let what-ifs dictate your life.

Each to his own though... and if you feel safer not having a real tree... then more power to ya. The whole idea is to enjoy.... :D

Totally agree, I wasn't trying to argue the pros and cons of real trees. I was just stating why some people buy fake trees.

Sure, there's that certain nostalgia of having a real tree but I find it more convienent to walk downstairs, drag the box up, and setup the tree.

It's a rather nice tree by the way, most people think it's real. I'll even dump some pine-sol on there if you'd like just to achieve that real tree smell. :D

I'll even dump some pine-sol on there if you'd like just to achieve that real tree smell. :D

Ahh, a sentimentalist. I like that...

Totally agree, I wasn't trying to argue the pros and cons of real trees. I was just stating why some people buy fake trees.

Sure, there's that certain nostalgia of having a real tree but I find it more convienent to walk downstairs, drag the box up, and setup the tree.

It's a rather nice tree by the way, most people think it's real. I'll even dump some pine-sol on there if you'd like just to achieve that real tree smell. :bash:

Uh... no thanks. Appreciate the offer. ............... Pine-sol :D

Getting a Christmas tree has always been a family affair for us. Somewhere between the 15th and 19th of December everyone bundles up... get in the vehicle... and head on out to find the 'perfect' tree to cut. Home... tree up... Christmas music on... hot chocolate... I put the lights on if we decide to go that way... and then the rest decorate to their hearts content. Once that is done it is officially Christmas season.

This year there will be no tree. Son and family are staying in CA...daughter and family are going to Alabama. The first year of my life that there will be no tree. Gonna be different with no one here and if there was ever a time for a fake tree I guess this would be it... no muss..no fuss... but I would probably have to move away until someone took it down if there was a fake tree in my house. :D Just the thought makes me queasy.

No matter what though.... you have an enjoyable holidays there twiley.

Just curious, what are the prices your all paying around the country for lets say a 6ft blue spruce? We shelled out almost $225 for our 6 trees at a tree farm nearby. :D

7' Balsam Fir $40. I like the Balsam over the blue spruce cuz it's a lot less prickly when I'm shoving lights in the sucker and when the baby is playing with it.

A nice 7 ft. noble pine here in SoCal can go for over $100 at the upscale nurseries. You can get them for half that at Home Depot or Target, but its more hit and miss on quality, and the crowds at night and weekends can be daunting.

I end up ponying up for the $100 variety each year, but I'm starting to think more and more about a nice $200 fake one that will last for many years. But the wife is pretty adamant about a real one. I'm just cheap....

Real tree. Gotta have that "Christmas smell". $20 at Home Depot... although we discovered that they may spray some sort of dye on their trees to make 'em look greener. We boiled some of the needles (it emits a nice odor) and there's a green residue (that I've never seen in 20+ years of doing this) on the pot. :D

Fake Tree here, and not at all ashamed. We love it... have a great time putting it together (the kids LOVE sorting through to find the right branches for each level)... and it looks very nice with out any needle problems. Tried a real tree a couple of years ago, and it was a disaster. Maybe once the kids and the dog are bigger we will try it again, but for now I'm sold on fake.

I am not ashamed to admit it; we have the 6 foot fake tree with all the stinkin' lights already on it; right outta' the box. While I do personally prefer real trees, after 40 years of chopping down real trees, sawing away lower branches and parts of the trunk to get it to fit in the friggin' tree stand, having it tip over because it's too heavy, having the cat's climb it and AGAIN knock it over with all the water spilling out of the stand, and then vacuuming up pine needles until mid-August because they keep mysteriously showing up; I'm at peace now with my fake Christmas tree, and my balsam fir scented Yankee candle burning all through the holidays. :D

I do not need a real Christmas tree to make me feel all fulfilled and full of Christmas cheer. It's far less hassle and much more convenient with my fake tree. Christmas begins in the heart. All the rest is window dressing.

I am sure that I am in the minority here..but...if you don't have a real tree why have one at all?

well, my wife was allergic to whatever they sprayed on the tree, so she had a fake one growing up. this was in arizona, so maybe they were forced to spray stuff on the trees to keep them alive. we're usually at my parents' house for christmas so we haven't had a tree in six years.

5 ft Noble for about $60 down here in the bay area. The BEST part was, it was all a beneift deal for at risk kids, sooooo, there was free food and an OPEN bar :D with quality booze. We had no idea, ended up hanging out for a good 2-3 hours with the good, kind folks, looking at trees, kickin it......... gotta love charity.

So, needless to say, me and my g/f ended up getting loaded on Grey Goose/Kettle One. I figure they actually paid us in food and drink for the tree. And it is effin beautiful. Never go fake, I just can't.

I am not ashamed to admit it; we have the 6 foot fake tree with all the stinkin' lights already on it; right outta' the box. While I do personally prefer real trees, after 40 years of chopping down real trees, sawing away lower branches and parts of the trunk to get it to fit in the friggin' tree stand, having it tip over because it's too heavy, having the cat's climb it and AGAIN knock it over with all the water spilling out of the stand, and then vacuuming up pine needles until mid-August because they keep mysteriously showing up;

This is called "tradition". You can never get that kind of memory or comedy from a fake tree. :D

I am sure that I am in the minority here..but...if you don't have a real tree why have one at all?

We have a fake one. Why??? The Mrs. has like 25 allergies and mold is one of them. Seems like the REAL trees have or can have mold! Anyway, after years of a fake one then going back to a real one for several years, and having the Mrs. suffer for a few years then realizing what the cause was, we went back to a fake one. I love real trees, but can't do it! :D

FWIW......When we had real trees, the dog(s) never ate the needles. And Hershey, my 120# Lab that would eat anything but human flesh, never ate the needles! :D

We do both. My wife likes the looks of the fake trees and I like the tradition of taking the kids up in the mountains and hunting for a tree. Real trees are not as uniform and clean as a fake tree, but they smell alone is worth the trouble.