[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

wiegie's quick and easy way to avoid long waits in the ER

wiegie

When you enter the ER and go to the reception/triage desk tell them that you are having problems breathing, that you are on Lipitor and Tricor, and that your father had a heart-attact in his early 50s while one of your maternal uncles had a heart-attack in his late 40s. If you do this, they will tell you to sit your ass down in a wheelchair pronto and then the will wheel you in the back for EKG, bloodwork, IV's, and all sorts of stuff.

Luckily for me, an EKG and blood-enzyme tests suggest that I have not had a heart attack.

X-Rays have also pretty much ruled out that my breathing problems were being caused by tumors in my neck and throat.

So, basically what I seem to have is early-stage pneumonia. The doctors have put me onto anti-biotics and have given me a nebulizer to use if I feel short of breath. Plus a whole bunch of other instructions.

:D

Hope you're feeling better, dude. Excellent call on going to the ER... your heart health is nothing to screw around with.

I had my own similar experience a couple of years ago. I went in to the ER, uttered the magic words ("chest pain") and was whisked into a room faster than a DMD thread gun bullet. It ended up being an overgrown cold; a viral infection of both the pericardium and the heart itself.

Glad you're OK and you're right about telling them those symptoms. My dad was having a heart attack and my mom took him to the ER where she immediately told them his symptoms and they got him in quickly.

Quadruple bypass, 3 years later, and 50 lbs lighter the man is doing well. :D

Glad that's it's "only" pneumonia and not something more serious. Going to the ER out here in the country is pretty worthless unless you're holding your leg in one hand and still running chainsaw in the other. The ER room at our local "hospital" looks like a bus station with every low life, drug addled, hoosier you can imagine. I'm glad you got competent medical care. Do drugs and live longer! :D

"Airway" problems will always get immediate attention. ABC= Airways, Bleeding, Circulation. Basic life support from combat medics to emergency rooms.

Glad to hear your on your way to recovery Wiegie :D

Edited by jackshi17

When you enter the ER and go to the reception/triage desk tell them that you are having problems breathing, that you are on Lipitor and Tricor, and that your father had a heart-attact in his early 50s while one of your maternal uncles had a heart-attack in his late 40s. If you do this, they will tell you to sit your ass down in a wheelchair pronto and then the will wheel you in the back for EKG, bloodwork, IV's, and all sorts of stuff.

Luckily for me, an EKG and blood-enzyme tests suggest that I have not had a heart attack.

X-Rays have also pretty much ruled out that my breathing problems were being caused by tumors in my neck and throat.

So, basically what I seem to have is early-stage pneumonia. The doctors have put me onto anti-biotics and have given me a nebulizer to use if I feel short of breath. Plus a whole bunch of other instructions.

:D

Pneumonia stinks, had it a couple of years ago and recovery is slow :bash: .

Nice way to spend your Christmas break Prof. Get feeling better. :D

Unfortunately most people know that "chest pain" or "difficulty breathing" will get you an immediate evaluation. That's why most homeless and medicaid momma's use these complaints. Most larger ED's will evaluate you rapidly with these complaints, but if they find out you're BS'ing, your azz is going back out into the waiting room.

When the ER's are busy, and we bring people in by ambulance they go straight into a wheelchair and out into the waiting room UNLESS they have a critical or lifethreatening event. People call 911 all the time because they think an ambulance will guarantee they won't have to wait in the ER. It's a real kick in the balls to get a $600 bill for a ride to the waiting room.

Unfortunately most people know that "chest pain" or "difficulty breathing" will get you an immediate evaluation. That's why most homeless and medicaid momma's use these complaints. Most larger ED's will evaluate you rapidly with these complaints, but if they find out you're BS'ing, your azz is going back out into the waiting room.

When the ER's are busy, and we bring people in by ambulance they go straight into a wheelchair and out into the waiting room UNLESS they have a critical or lifethreatening event. People call 911 all the time because they think an ambulance will guarantee they won't have to wait in the ER. It's a real kick in the balls to get a $600 bill for a ride to the waiting room.

Good stuff. Our ER has a sign about letting them know about breathing difficulties too but I've never seen anyone try to use it to jump the line. Unfortunately, using the ER is the only way to get any kind of timely medical attention as making a regular appointment is usually two weeks out at least.

Since somebody else already bumped the thread I will say that I saw my normal doctor today and he thinks I have viral pneumonia. He wants me to go back to get a chest x-ray in two weeks to make sure everything is all clear.

A cattle prod will clear that right up for ya...

• 2 months later...

I now feel less stupid for having gone to the ER: http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/63796

(Although that is countered by me feeling more stupid for having read another article about Anna Nicole Smith.)

I'm just getting over pneumonia myself and I now know 3 other people who've had it this year. Freaky.

I got a shot of Rocephin in the ER, along with a Z pack to take at home. Man, that stuff is gold. It had knocked out my fever within a few hours.

Edited by Czarina