[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saban

theeohiostate

Some of it is underhanded but who among us has never changed jobs for their own reasons?

BS - I've never changed jobs under those circumstances. He committed to a huge job (Fins) where they gave him everything he wanted (money and control), and now he's leaving them high and dry bolting after just two years. Show some damn loyalty!

And I hate the Dolphins.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BS - I've never changed jobs under those circumstances. He committed to a huge job (Fins) where they gave him everything he wanted (money and control), and now he's leaving them high and dry bolting after just two years. Show some damn loyalty!

And I hate the Dolphins.

Huizenga knew when he signed him that he didn't truly want to go, that is why he didn't try REALLY REALLY hard to get him to stay. Saban didn't want the NFL job, and probably if Huizenga hadn't said "go with your heart" Saban would have been loyal and stayed. Huizenga knew their was a possibility of this happening without the immediate success because Saban loved college football.

If the team really is being prepped for a sale, I don't blame Saban: you yourself are responsible for creating the greatest possible job security, and an NFL sale does not equal that for a HC.

If it wasn't being prepped for a sale, then he's kinda slimy about this whole thing.

And I hate the Dolphins.

I took a job in early 2000 with Dish - professional environment, good pay, etc. I knew after the 2nd day I had made a mistake and thought about leaving immediately. But I decided to stay for one year and see how I felt. After 18 months I left for something else. No harm no foul.

I was happy when Saban took the Miami job - I recall saying he would have them in the SB within 3 years - but something was missing. I believe he knew it wasn't the right fit though it was a good job.

I think Saban was a good coach and he'll be missed but life goes on. I gotta think the QB situation and age of his defense were major factors in him leaving. Culpepper must still be a health ? and Harrington/Lemon appear to be back-up material. The biggest thing a coach needs is stability at the QB position. The defensive line are all in their 30's as well so maybe the college atmosphere would be less stressful and provide more job security. The SEC is tough though and there is no way Alabama will get back to the Bear Bryant dominant days. So who replaces Saban?

And I hate the Dolphins.

Wow. I'd think 'Fins fans would welcome Saban leaving.

I saw a lot of what I'd consider dubious coaching decisions, and Ronnie Brown appeared to be badly misused numerous times. The team - supposedly a challenger for the AFC East division title this year - underacheived badly. Part of that was a very poor decision to go with Culpepper as the primary QB come Hell or high water (which I have no doubt was at least partly driven by the ownership/upper management) when the team performed better as whole in the preseason (and subsequently after Culpepper was hurt) under Harrington, but part of that also went to poor use of the running game & Brown in the short passing game with Harrington at QB, and part of it was defensive scheming in the first half odf the year that left a lot to be desired.

A lot of that goes directly to Saban, and he wouldn't be the first guy who was a superb college coach who didn't understand how to succeed at the NFL level.

Nick Saban never wanted to leave college coaching, neither did his wife.

If you remember Huizenga came to Saban's house, and stayed in town for 2 days and talked him into leaving his dream job.

Huizenga had to know this was a possibility of happening, due to Saban loving the college game. If he didn't have immediate success, he knew it had to have a chance to happen.

That's right. I hope Pete Carroll is listening and stays too. At USC media Day last year Leinart, Bush and others were there and the potential college signees saw them. In a college program like that it's like having 20-30 first round draft picks.

Knowing Miami's constant connection with hiring Chicago coaches, I believe Ron "Chico" Rivera will be a serious contendor for the job. I pray crap like Green, Tice and whatever other washed up coach out there does not make it into Miami. I'm sick of the Wanny types :D I really don't want Mora here but after what he did I don't think he'll be considered by any NFL teams. No one likes a guy whos throws his QB under the bus and jokes about leaving for his old squeeze.

Do any of them bring in $50m a year to the Uni? :D

The vast majority are also not the cream of the crop in their fields, either. 'Bama ain't Harvard or Cal Tech... or even Illinois or Michigan, for that matter. On the other hand, Saban is easily one of the Top 10 coaches in college FB.

I saw a replay of the press conference a few days before Christmas where Saban said point-blank that he wasn't going to take the coaching job at Alabama. What a d0uche.

Show some damn loyalty!

:D To the Dolphins? Why? ie it's not like he's leaving his alma mater or was just dying to coach the Fins all his life or is leaving to coach the cowboys (etc). Cmon coaching the Fins vs coaching one of the most legendary college teams ever is not hard to understand. If he'd been coaching the Colts I would've hated him leaving but couldn't blame him.

Meanwhile Dungy hangs around like a bad freakin cold. :D

And I hate the Dolphins.

That would be the same loyalty shown to NFL coaches that don't do as well as the owner wants, right? The same loyalty that companies show when they lay off thousands in search of increased profits? Bull - there is no loyalty in business. There are good fits, money and happiness, that's all. If all three are there, great. If not, move on.

If Saban feels like he's really a college coach and he wasn't happy in South Florida just come out and admit it. The way he left was just wrong. He quit over the phone ?!?

Have some balls and some common decency and tell your boss and staff face to face. I was happy when they brought him on board, but after this fiasco I'll be rooting against him for the rest of my life.

If Saban feels like he's really a college coach and he wasn't happy in South Florida just come out and admit it. The way he left was just wrong. He quit over the phone ?!?

Have some balls and some common decency and tell your boss and staff face to face. I was happy when they brought him on board, but after this fiasco I'll be rooting against him for the rest of my life.

He didn't quit on the phone. Huizenga stopped by Nick Saban's house and had the conversation there before he went to Miami's headquarters.

Edited by CD6405

He didn't quit on the phone. Huizenga stopped by Nick Saban's house and had the conversation there before he went to Miami's headquarters.

And he told Wayne if he wanted him to stay he would. The fact that Wayne talked him into coming over 2 days absolves him of blame imo.

Hire Jim Bates.

:D To the Dolphins? Why? ie it's not like he's leaving his alma mater or was just dying to coach the Fins all his life or is leaving to coach the cowboys (etc). Cmon coaching the Fins vs coaching one of the most legendary college teams ever is not hard to understand. If he'd been coaching the Colts I would've hated him leaving but couldn't blame him.

Meanwhile Dungy hangs around like a bad freakin cold. :D

We'll take Dungy in a heartbeat-either at the U of Minnesota or the Queens!

We'll take Dungy in a heartbeat-either at the U of Minnesota or the Queens!

He was pretty good a few years ago.

Vikings Hire Chiefs' Dungy

Published: January 25, 1992

As expected, the Minnesota Vikings' new coach, Dennis Green, today hired Tony Dungy, the Kansas City Chiefs' secondary coach, to be his defensive coordinator.

Dungy, 36 years old, was a quarterback at the University of Minnesota from 1973-76. He was a Gophers' assistant coach in 1980 before he joined the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1981 as a defensive assistant. He served as the Steelers' defensive coordinator from 1983-88 before moving to Kansas City.