[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Black dudes walking down the highway

detlef

OK, there something that I've had a bit of a time getting used to since I moved to NC. Black guys, wearing entirely black clothes, walking at night on the highway, literally 2 ft from the road. It happens with uncanny regularity and every time it freaks me out because you see them literally 10 ft before you pass them. Mind you, provided that you don't stray from the road, you've got nothing to worry about, but honestly. Every time you're thinking, "Jesus, I almost hit that guy!"

Do these guys realize that they can't be seen? Do they want to die?

Where I come from, people pretty much don't walk on the highway, let alone try as hard as they can to remain unseen while practically walking in the road.

OK, there something that I've had a bit of a time getting used to since I moved to NC. Black guys, wearing entirely black clothes, walking at night on the highway, literally 2 ft from the road. It happens with uncanny regularity and every time it freaks me out because you see them literally 10 ft before you pass them. Mind you, provided that you don't stray from the road, you've got nothing to worry about, but honestly. Every time you're thinking, "Jesus, I almost hit that guy!"

Where I come from, people pretty much don't walk on the highway, let alone try as hard as they can to remain unseen while practically walking in the road.

Racist. :D

This does happen all the time, and that's why so many of them get run over on a regular basis here in Charlotte. I've seen many of these that have taken place, and most of the time it's on surface streets with sidewalks.

A local cop told me it's some BS about "staking their claim to the road". I don't know what the hell it is, but it drives me crazy as well.

A local cop told me it's some BS about "staking their claim to the road". I don't know what the hell it is, but it drives me crazy as well.

Heh, we were driving around on Friday and had to wait for a "posse" to clear out of an alley that they were walking down the middle of, and when my co-pilot started b!tching about the guys, I let loose with my sociological theory on why people in poor urban neighborhoods gotta stroll across the road in the most languid way possible, traffic be damned:

It's because these people have NO POWER. Not political, not economic, not any pull whatsoever. So the ONLY way they can exercise influence over anyone is by simply making traffic hold up while they do their little bulsh*t ego trip. Because even though these turds probably deserve to be turned into a grease spot, it just ain't worth the hassle and legal bills to even the most motivated driver. So they have their little 10-seconds of "yeah dawg, I made that mofo wait".

Heh, we were driving around on Friday and had to wait for a "posse" to clear out of an alley that they were walking down the middle of, and when my co-pilot started b!tching about the guys, I let loose with my sociological theory on why people in poor urban neighborhoods gotta stroll across the road in the most languid way possible, traffic be damned:

It's because these people have NO POWER. Not political, not economic, not any pull whatsoever. So the ONLY way they can exercise influence over anyone is by simply making traffic hold up while they do their little bulsh*t ego trip. Because even though these turds probably deserve to be turned into a grease spot, it just ain't worth the hassle and legal bills to even the most motivated driver. So they have their little 10-seconds of "yeah dawg, I made that mofo wait".

Yes, that or else they are complete racist assholios.

Yes, that or else they are complete racist assholios.

Well, truth be told, dudes taking their sweet time walking across the street seems to have a whole lot more to do with socio-economic status than race. Plenty of down-and-out whiteys pull the same crap around here. I agree with Chavez, it's either the only time and place where they feel they have any power or it's giving the finger to a society that they're certainly at odds with (and vice versa). Regardless, it's freaking annoying.

As long as we're being racist let's go back to say, Vietnam, late '72. The roads in the countryside were notoriously narrow and when our convoys went barreling down them there was stopping for nobody. Most of the time Luke had to jump out of the way or become part of the body count that day. Some of my "peeps" used to even open the doors to make sure everyone got out of the way. It was sad for me to watch some old papa-san have to jump into some Athenae-filled paddy to not get brained by a door coming at his noggin at 60 mph. Still can't understand why those people didn't like us. :D

This does happen all the time, and that's why so many of them get run over on a regular basis here in Charlotte. I've seen many of these that have taken place, and most of the time it's on surface streets with sidewalks.

them is a white racist term used by the man to keep our people down.

them is a white racist term used by the man to keep our people down.

Whenever speaking of a certain group of people (in any way,shape or form) ..you will often refer to that group as "them" or "they".

But I agree in the fact that it can be used to be degrading.so can a bunch of other words.

Well, truth be told, dudes taking their sweet time walking across the street seems to have a whole lot more to do with socio-economic status than race. Plenty of down-and-out whiteys pull the same crap around here. I agree with Chavez, it's either the only time and place where they feel they have any power or it's giving the finger to a society that they're certainly at odds with (and vice versa). Regardless, it's freaking annoying.

Same same here. Urban is urban. The stereotype of this being a black thing just isn't correct. Plenty of white people doing the same crawl to get from point A to point B when there is traffic waiting. I see it in two places every single day.

Back to topic...hmm, I don't get how those guys can walk like that. They must not have a clue how hard they are to see. I almost ran someone over about a week ago when I was coming up the hill to my house. It is a very dark wooded area. As soon as I come out of a bend to the right there was two guys walking. Had another car been coming down the hill these guys would have been on the news.

I think you guys are missing the point... socioeconomic factores may be the reason for the slow walk, but "black" is the reason they are hard to see at night.

Well, I was discussing two different things.

Uh, my father has a 8th or 9th grade education and my mother dropped out her senior year of high school. Still, they got jobs and made sure I didn't go down that road instead. They don't have power because they are lazy garbage. Go to school, get a job. Even a two year degree can be had for about $2,500 a year (cost of new rims) and give you what you need to get into a higher standard of living.

People with 'no power' usually don't deserve it.

Why don't you just drive down the road with a nice thick metal pipe sticking out of your window about 3-4 feet???

Uh, my father has a 8th or 9th grade education and my mother dropped out her senior year of high school. Still, they got jobs and made sure I didn't go down that road instead. They don't have power because they are lazy garbage. Go to school, get a job. Even a two year degree can be had for about $2,500 a year (cost of new rims) and give you what you need to get into a higher standard of living.

People with 'no power' usually don't deserve it.

I really think you're reading something into Chavez' post that isn't there.

2 theories:

1) Not intentional: they probably don't have a car or bike, or else they wouldn't be walking. And maybe their other, brighter colored clothes were in the dirty hamper at home. Just a thought.

2) Its a game: they brag to their buddies how many miles they walked and how close the were to the side, while wearing black, without getting hit or questioned by the cops. With 2 of them, its considered verified instead of a lie, and they go out at the same time. Then the winner gets to bone the white chick they have tied up in the basement....

I live in a very rich white northern suburb of Chicago. Mind you, its not the freeway, but they cross the street in a very slow delibart walk to make you wait too. I get the feeling its an "I'm better than you so you can wait" thing.

No matter where you are there are people that are a$$holes, and they make sure you know it.