[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are you a binge drinker?

Thews40

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is about the lamest definition for "binge" I have ever heard. As others have stated, it seems likely that whomever defined it as such is being alarmist. Having 5 drinks in a night is certainly not something one should do on a regular basis but once a month is hardly something to get worried about and should not be thought of as a "binge". Binging on anything is typically attached to some larger issue in one's life. Having 5 drinks one night can mean little more than hanging out with some old friends and the beer/wine/what-have-you was just tasting extra good that night.

Where I come from, one would have to string several days of being in a drunken or drug-addled stupor to be considered "on a binge".

That is about the lamest definition for "binge" I have ever heard. As others have stated, it seems likely that whomever defined it as such is being alarmist. Having 5 drinks in a night is certainly not something one should do on a regular basis but once a month is hardly something to get worried about and should not be thought of as a "binge". Binging on anything is typically attached to some larger issue in one's life. Having 5 drinks one night can mean little more than hanging out with some old friends and the beer/wine/what-have-you was just tasting extra good that night.

Where I come from, one would have to string several days of being in a drunken or drug-addled stupor to be considered "on a binge".

AMEN

From Wikipedia:

The British Medical Association states that "there is no consensus on the definition of binge drinking. In the past, 'binge drinking' was often used to refer to an extended period of time, usually two days or more, during which a person repeatedly drank to intoxication, giving up usual activities and obligations."[1]The International Center for Alcohol Policies says that diverse definitions of binge drinking exist. "Within the field of epidemiology, for example, there is disparity regarding the amount of alcohol that needs to be consumed in order to qualify as a 'binge'. One of the commonly used thresholds for 'binge' drinking is 25 or more drinks for men and 18 or more for women per occasion. Over some objection, [2] this definition has gained a foothold within the social sciences literature and has influenced media reporting of drinking behavior."[3]

The British Medical Association concludes that "in common usage, binge drinking is now usually used to refer to heavy drinking over an evening or similar time span - sometimes also referred to as heavy episodic drinking. Binge drinking is often associated with drinking with the intention of becoming intoxicated and, sometimes, with drinking in large groups."[1] It is sometimes associated with physical or social harm.

Fron the Dictionary:

Definitions

binge

noun

1. colloq

A bout of over-indulgence, usually in eating and drinking.

Thesaurus: spree, fling, orgy, bout.

verb

intr

binged, bingeing, binging

1. To indulge in a binge.

Etymology: 19c; at first a dialect word, apparently from a dialect verb meaning ‘to soak'.

last time I was drunk was when I went to new york city with THEKING...about 2 1/2 years ago, if memory serves. That being said, it's not atypical for me to have 5 or so beers over the course of a day/evening watching football. Outside of DTs and the occasional blackout, I haven't noticed any problems.

I'd like to see the amount of people who do drink but drink less then 5 drinks on at least one occasion in 30 days....sounds like its an all or nothing thing to me from that definition.

My wife fits that description. She's good for 5+ about once or twice a year but has an uncanny ability to quit after 2-3 pretty much every other time.

i think of binging as once you start, you have an incredibly hard time stopping, to the point where you pretty much end up falling down drunk. i've never thought of a binge drinker as someone who could just have a few, and then stop to carry on with some other activity. you pop the first, and they then generally go until they drop.

surpassing 5 drinks once a month seems far away from this, and if that is the definition, then we have a binge epidemic underway. according to this definition, i'm certainly a binger, and i do battle the above because once i start having a few, i pretty much like to just keep on going. i'm getting better because, as stated, my bounceback abilities have become seriously compromised with age.