[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Career

alexgaddis

About 1 years worth of full time school...

I would rather fight Michael Vicks dogs...

If you want to work with numbers and make money (accounting and the like), you'll need a degree. If you want to make money, but don't want to get stuck in a classroom again there are other options. Skilled trade based jobs can make you very good money. You'll need training, but it won't be the same training as would be required to be an accountant.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to work with numbers and make money (accounting and the like), you'll need a degree. If you want to make money, but don't want to get stuck in a classroom again there are other options. Skilled trade based jobs can make you very good money. You'll need training, but it won't be the same training as would be required to be an accountant.

I am leaning towards this idea...training for a specific job would be worth my time whereas finishing college and getting a degree would not be worth my time...

I am leaning towards this idea...training for a specific job would be worth my time whereas finishing college and getting a degree would not be worth my time...

Take the time to research what you're getting yourself into. There's not a lot of sense in investing in a new career area where there are no jobs.

This is where this advice belongs... :D

Since the rental market is supposed to be doing well right now, maybe you can find work with some kind of finder/placement agency for rental properties. Your experience with real estate could only be a plus I would imagine. Not sure what kind of money you could make with something like that though... probably not a ton.

Depends on what field you want to get into... If it is within the "business world", I couldn't disagree more with your statement above.

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career.

I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed.

You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

Alex-

If you are truly a year away from a degree, get it. I don't care if you like school or not. You spent enough time to get within a year or so, finish it out. You will stand to make MUCH more money over your lifetime with your degree.

Either that or do FF for a living and write a couple of books about it :D

I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed.

Sounds to me like ought to go into Kick Boxing. :D

I'm going to take the CDL written exam in about a month and a buddy is going to teach me how to drive his truck.

I don't know if that's what I'll end up doing but something always needs taken somewhere. I was offered a job as a sports reporter/editor in a small local newspaper but I can't afford to take that job. After over a decade in an office, I'm pretty convinced I don't want to spend two more in one.

About 1 years worth of full time school...

I would rather fight Michael Vicks dogs...

While it's not absolutley essential that you go back and finish college, it's the first thing that popped into my head. It can be tough out there for a good paying gig that isn't dangerous to your health without a bachelor's degree.

Edited by TDFFFreak

:D

Here’s what I’d do… figure out what you want to be. You have to enjoy it, so if you need another job to test the waters, do it now. Once you figure it out, take a look at the big companies in the area and target them. Find out about the benefits, because a lot of big companies will compensate you to finish your degree. One you’ve found the target company/industry, take any job you can get. Next, find out what the newest/latest/greatest software package is being used the most, and become a master at it. Study it like no tomorrow, know it, and they will keep coming to you to figure out problems. You establish your value almost immediately, but more importantly are part of the problem resolution if there’s a panic issue. This gives you exposure to the higher levels of the company, and it’s much easier to promote from within than hire someone new. Whatever software skills you need, take classes on it… kill two birds with one stone. Your goals will be set as you climb the ladder, and your manager will encourage you to finish. Once you do, you pretty much instantly move up… that is, if you’re smart and you work hard. The key is software manipulation and analyzing data rather than just taking it. If you haven’t mastered Excel yet, do so. All the software I’ve worked with mirrors a lot of its functions.