[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is it okay to be blatantly racist/prejudiced?

Bronco Billy

link

Whoopi Goldberg defends Vick's dog-fighting role

Wed Sep 5, 2007 5:26AM EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Outspoken comedian Whoopi Goldberg drew a scathing rebuke from animal rights activists on Tuesday for defending U.S. football star Michael Vick's role in dogfighting during her debut on ABC's talk show "The View."

"He's from the South, from the Deep South ... This is part of his cultural upbringing," Goldberg said of the Atlanta Falcons quarterback, whose recent fall from grace has been one of the most stunning in the history of U.S. sports.

Vick pleaded guilty last week to federal dogfighting charges, admitting he took part in an illegal, interstate enterprise known as Bad Newz Kennels and helped kill underperforming dogs.

The 27-year-old, who grew up in Virginia, faces up to five years in prison when sentenced in December. He has been suspended indefinitely by the National Football League.

"For a lot of people, dogs are sport," Goldberg said on the show. "Instead of just saying (Vick) is a beast and he's a monster, this is a kid who comes from a culture where this is not questioned."

I watched this segment on ESPN last night and couldn't believe what I was watching.

Since when is it okay in this country to be blatantly racist/prejudiced as well as incredibly stupid & ignorant and not be called on the carpet & fired out of hand immediately afterwards when propogating those incredibly ignorant racist/prejudiced views as a celebrity in a national forum? First Rosie the Moran on the view, then Whoopi the Moran. Hell, why doesn't the view just go to a classroom for retarded 2nd graders and get its hosts there? The discourse would be more intelligent by a factor of 3.

:shakinghead:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoopi Goldberg is hard to listen to, and even harder to look at. And about as relevant as a head of lettuce.

She wanted to say something outrageous to bring attention te herself and her new gig with the menopause gals.

In the deep south, in the 60s it was acceptable for white kids to spit on black kids while they walked the halls of the schools. According to Whoopi's logic, that behavior was acceptable since it was part of the culture.

In the deep south, in the 60s it was acceptable for white kids to spit on black kids while they walked the halls of the schools. According to Whoopi's logic, that behavior was acceptable since it was part of the culture.

Exactly. Just because it's part of the culture, doesn't make it right.

If a kid was raised with his family in the KKK, does that make anything he believes or does towards minorities somehow more acceptable?

Exactly. Just because it's part of the culture, doesn't make it right.

If a kid was raised with his family in the KKK, does that make anything he believes or does towards minorities somehow more acceptable?

Ding, ding, ding, ding... We have a winner. How can you take anyone serious that does not have eyebrows?

"Acceptable" and "right" are not the same thing. If everyone around them who wittnessed the act did nothing, then doesn't that imply that they "accepted" that kind of behavior?

from what i've heard, whoopi has been very careful to just paint this as someone participating in the culture of the south while staying out of any right/wrong statements. she does not explicitly defend him, she just says that his actions were in alignment with his surroundings.

it's really just an attempt to be contraversial without really saying anything. she can back out of this statement in a number of ways, primarily saying, "hey, i never said what he did was right!" it's about the buzz, not necessarily the content.

what i would be waiting to hear is the south's response. do they really appreciate being tagged with having a culture that condones this activity?

oh, and also, i can't stand whoopi outside of the 1-2 movie roles that put her where she is.

if VICK thought it was an accepted behavior or however you want to spin it then why was it taking place in a remote location in SURRY instead of say at his crib in ATL(my guess is that he has a big place in ATL)....why because HE and everyone involved KNOW ITS WRONG and ILLEGAL

DRUG DEALING is more prominent in inner cities so maybe we should give those guys a pass too

what i would be waiting to hear is the south's response. do they really appreciate being tagged with having a culture that condones this activity?

Yeah, I'm sure that most Southerners are out fighting their dogs when they are in between cross burnings.

What a f'n dolt she is. I'm sure she'll act completely indignant & offended when someone with some pull has the balls to call her on her bullspit.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Anybody hawt enough for Ted Danson is okay with me. :D

:D World class talent in the "oral" department is the only possible explaination for that hook-up.

from what i've heard, whoopi has been very careful to just paint this as someone participating in the culture of the south while staying out of any right/wrong statements. she does not explicitly defend him, she just says that his actions were in alignment with his surroundings.

it's really just an attempt to be contraversial without really saying anything. she can back out of this statement in a number of ways, primarily saying, "hey, i never said what he did was right!" it's about the buzz, not necessarily the content.

oh, and also, i can't stand whoopi outside of the 1-2 movie roles that put her where she is.

Double spoken like a true democrat.

i also dont know that I would consider Newport News the DEEP SOUTH

That's what I was wondering. What exactly constitutes "deep south"? New Port is in the deep south part of Virginia, but that doesn't exactly put the overall location that far south (considering there are 4 states directly south on the coast line). So is "deep" just an adjective people use to make it sound more acceptable?

link

Whoopi Goldberg defends Vick's dog-fighting role

Wed Sep 5, 2007 5:26AM EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Outspoken comedian Whoopi Goldberg drew a scathing rebuke from animal rights activists on Tuesday for defending U.S. football star Michael Vick's role in dogfighting during her debut on ABC's talk show "The View."

"He's from the South, from the Deep South ... This is part of his cultural upbringing," Goldberg said of the Atlanta Falcons quarterback, whose recent fall from grace has been one of the most stunning in the history of U.S. sports.

Vick pleaded guilty last week to federal dogfighting charges, admitting he took part in an illegal, interstate enterprise known as Bad Newz Kennels and helped kill underperforming dogs.

The 27-year-old, who grew up in Virginia, faces up to five years in prison when sentenced in December. He has been suspended indefinitely by the National Football League.

"For a lot of people, dogs are sport," Goldberg said on the show. "Instead of just saying (Vick) is a beast and he's a monster, this is a kid who comes from a culture where this is not questioned."

I watched this segment on ESPN last night and couldn't believe what I was watching.

Since when is it okay in this country to be blatantly racist/prejudiced as well as incredibly stupid & ignorant and not be called on the carpet & fired out of hand immediately afterwards when propogating those incredibly ignorant racist/prejudiced views as a celebrity in a national forum? First Rosie the Moran on the view, then Whoopi the Moran. Hell, why doesn't the view just go to a classroom for retarded 2nd graders and get its hosts there? The discourse would be more intelligent by a factor of 3.

:shakinghead:

OK..not to argue this again.....but your thread title doesn't match what you are posting here. Where did she say anything racist or prejudiced? :D

OK..not to argue this again.....but your thread title doesn't match what you are posting here. Where did she say anything racist or prejudiced? :D

Agreed, I thought it was just stupid & ignorant. She never said anything about black or white. :D

You don't consider the direct slur that most if not all deep Southeners consider dog fighting part a normal part of their culture prejudiced? The racist angle is a bit more subtle - which is why I'm sure it completely flew by you - but I'd think that someone as enlightened as you would at least pick up on the prejudiced part. The slam on the South is about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

I guess I overestimated you...

Edited by Bronco Billy

You don't consider the direct slur that most if not all deep Southeners consider dog fighting part a normal part of their culture prejudiced? The racist angle is a bit more subtle - which is why I'm sure it completely flew by you - but I'd think that someone as enlightened as you would at least pick up on the prejudiced part. The slam on the South is about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

I guess I overestimated you...

I didn't see where she said that, was it from another article or did you watch the show?

Try as I might, I couldn't find the "cultural upbringing" exception to federal criminal laws.

Maybe that slob Goldberg could point it out to us.

Edited by Furd

I didn't see where she said that, was it from another article or did you watch the show?

Here, let me try by omitting some of the passage I posted:

"He's from the South, from the Deep South ... This is part of his cultural upbringing," Goldberg said.

"this is a kid who comes from a culture where this is not questioned."

I hope that may help you a little bit. Did you catch the part where she states dog fighting is part of the culture in the Deep South?

So I see that "The View" found a replacement Village Idiot. Looks like Whoppi is right at Rosie's level of cultural/political stupidity.

I'd love to see somebody from rural Alabama burn a cross on Whoppi's front yard and then explain to her that it was all part of this "cultural upbringing." :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

"Deep South" is a euphamism for southern blacks. Although, as a southerner, I'd say that nowhere in VA counts as the deep south. The deep south is southern Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama.... She's saying that from where he comes from, he couldn't have know any better.

"Deep South" is a euphamism for southern blacks.

That's the subtle part. Let's work on the Deep South & being openly prejudiced part first for some here, and then we can graduate to inferred implications.

Edited by Bronco Billy