[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does your commissioner play for free or get a discount?

ljbrun

128 members have voted

1. 1. Does your commissioner play for free or get a discount?

• No, he/she pays the same as everyone else.
    • Yep, he/she plays for free.
    • He/she gets a discount.
    • He/she pays the same as everyone else, but a discount or freebie isn't a bad idea.
    • Our commissioner pays, but we make sure the responsibility changes hands on some predetermined basis.

This question just came up in our league. It's a keeper league in its second year and there's been a fair amount of rules discussions/changes as well as a couple of owners who needed help in the draft or during the season. The question was brought up by one of the owners, not the commissioner (that's me).

I'm assuming that the commissioner's job gets easier as rules are ironed out and there's more tweaking rather than major changes.

Edited by ljbrun

I voted for the last option as it pertains to my original league, which is still run offline. All online leagues run themselves, for the most part. :D Sure, there is some setup and management involved, but the online management sites really help. My offline league has a different commish every year. Works well.

Im up doing manual waivers every friday night..I deal with the constant crying whining bitching and attempted chicanery..I also carry a few barely computer literate people in my league (2 teams)..They have no problem waiving my fee..I have offered up the job plenty of times free team included and never have any takers

Im up doing manual waivers every friday night..I deal with the constant crying whining bitching and attempted chicanery..I also carry a few barely computer literate people in my league (2 teams)..They have no problem waiving my fee..I have offered up the job plenty of times free team included and never have any takers

Like I said, not saying the commish doesn't deserve it. We've never done it, even back when the USA today was the scoring method by hand. Our league fee is $225. Plus I'm a slight control freak. :D

Oh and I don't even play in Superbowl squares where the guy running it takes free squares. I guess I expect everyone to do that type of thing because they enjoy it. :D

Like I said, not saying the commish doesn't deserve it. We've never done it, even back when the USA today was the scoring method by hand. Our league fee is $225. Plus I'm a slight control freak. :D

Oh and I don't even play in Superbowl squares where the guy running it takes free squares. I guess I expect everyone to do that type of thing because they enjoy it. :D

Wanna hug it out ?

I commish my main local and my entrance fee is free..I pay for all transactions like everyone else..

Same here. Owners in my league set it up that way as I take care of the draft-day spread (shopping and cooking) and they wanted to give me something in return.

Just wondering:

What if you have a commissioner's committee, not just one guy.

Do they all get to play for free?

Half price for the asst commish?

Where does it end?

Software does just about everything for the commish, no need to pay them. IMO

Organizing the draft..Entering rosters..Running waivers ( my league is manual )..Dealing with controversy..Commish isnt the hardest thing in the world dont get me wrong but I see no problem with the commish getting compensated for the extra effort as compared to other league members that just have to run their individual team..

I am the long time commissioner of my local league and as the commissioner my entry fee is paid out of the kitty.

I do less work now than when the league was not run online. My biggest head ache is coordinating and setting up the draft ... that alone is merits the salary.

I'm curious. Is it more work overall than running the Weekly Blitz and Weekly Player Blitz?

I am the commish in my local and five years ago the league voted that I become the permanent commissioner and get a free ride. Mine was the only dissenting vote.

I then had the league vote in a clause where the winning owner at the end of the regular season could opt to take over as the commissioner duties for the next season, but so far, the winning owners do not want to bother with setting up the draft/meetings, site, etc.

It is definitely not a big money league.

I do pay for post season and any other non-NFL related activities (like NCAA finals) that we decide to do and I am the most active person on the WW by far and pay for the transaction fees.

I would still be glad to do it without a free ride.

I commish my local league - $200 entry fee. Played for free maybe the first fiv years or so, when everyhting was manual and I even wrote and mailed out weekly newsletters.

I got rid of this feature when we went online, the web site does all of the heavy lifting now so I have been paying full boat the last 9 years or so.

Does anyone feel the league winner should tip the commissioner? I don't - but it does seem inconsistent with things like a Super Bowl box pool, where the pool administrator is typically tipped by the winner for doing a helluva lot less work.

Back in the "old days", between running a tream AND a league, it was a part time job. Though fun, it would not have been worth it to not get some compensation.

I used to play for free, but with the advent of league managers and other tools that has made it so much easier, I myself realized it wasn't "FAIR" to not contribute in some way.

I now pay for the league website and extras (like hosting the draft party, making arrangements for location and getting everything organized, trophy engraved, etc.)

Running a league is tough, even with the goodies now available, and it can burn a guy out. I know I had a tough couple years with turn over and "problem" managers that took me a couple years to straiten out and get everything back running the way it should be. Funny thing, I turned that league over to someone else and don't even play in it anymore! :D

I think he was counting on you being shirtless.

True but then we'd find Puddy tangled up in a hairball and have to cut him out.

Oh and as to not hyjack, I am the Commish for 3 Leagues and pay my Entry Fee in all.

Edited by irish