[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it OK to scare kids at the front door....

Rovers

OK, so I have a full supply of chocolate bars ready for the little candy beggars.... and the first group just came through. A couple of the youger kids got scared... because this year I figured I'd have some fun with it. I'm a dead (zombie) baseball player, makeup, green teeth, fake peeling skin, fake blood, the works. A couple of the younger ones dern near jumped off the stoop when they saw me... it was funny, but I don't wanna give em nightmares either. One of the kids had to be led by her mother to get close enough for me to give her chocalate bars.... Snickers, Crunch and 3 Muskateers, one of each, so not a bad haul.

Some would say I'd scare em with no makeup... but should I lose the outfit? I felt bad for the one litle girl, she was actually shaken. Or, is it all just in good fun? Some of the kids liked it.... they were awstruck staring at me, so that was pretty funny. If you have kids, what do you say? Lose the costume?

First of all you had trick or treaters at 4:00 in the afternoon. Man those kids are professional. I really don't see a problem. I would say if they are really young, I wouldn't do anything special, but if they were a littel older, hiding around the corner my be kinda fun. We are lucky to get a dozen living next to the funeral home and all. We are giving out adult tricks and treats for our friends, little bottles of booze like the airplane size.

OK, so I have a full supply of chocolate bars ready for the little candy beggars.... and the first group just came through. A couple of the youger kids got scared... because this year I figured I'd have some fun with it. I'm a dead (zombie) baseball player, makeup, green teeth, fake peeling skin, fake blood, the works. A couple of the younger ones dern near jumped off the stoop when they saw me... it was funny, but I don't wanna give em nightmares either. One of the kids had to be led by her mother to get close enough for me to give her chocalate bars.... Snickers, Crunch and 3 Muskateers, one of each, so not a bad haul.

Some would say I'd scare em with no makeup... but should I lose the outfit? I felt bad for the one litle girl, she was actually shaken. Or, is it all just in good fun? Some of the kids liked it.... they were awstruck staring at me, so that was pretty funny. If you have kids, what do you say? Lose the costume?

Sounds like you are into the holiday and theres nothing wrong with that. So long as you're not going out of your way to scare the frightened ones it's okay what you are doing. 4pm and you are already dressed up and getting kids at the door? :D

every year i scare the kids....

but if they are to small I dont

Last yr I dressed in a gorilla costume and was perched in a tree that over hangs the front walk....

shook the branches and did some grunting to scare many of them....the yr before I was dressed in all black

with my face painted like a skelleton...hid next to a tree and as they walked away i would walk up behind them

the year before that i had a costume that blended me right into the ground(leaves and stuff on it.....i laid there right next to the door

had a "jason" mask on and a play knife in my hand once i lifted my head....unfortunately i dont know what i will do tonite

do you have someone that can help you give out the candy? if so let them be your lookout so they can say when you need to stay out of sight for the little ones

I am in the same nieghborhood I grew up in... this is light. When I was a kid, there would be at least one group at every house on the block from 3pm till 9pm. Non-stop. People didn't even attempt to sit down for dinner. We would fill two shopping bags each every year. After nine, it was time for egg throwing and floured socks maces.

Have fun with it. When I was a kid, my cousin's neighbor had a scarecrow on their porch for the two weeks leading up to Halloween, so all the neighbor kids saw it there.

When it came time to trick or treat, go up the door, knock, and start running and screaming as the dad had gotten into the scarecrow costume and was sitting on the porch jumping out at people. It was good as it had the two week build up to really throw the neighborhood kids off.

I'd have to think that the kids that are out at 4:00 are going to be the youngest of the evening...I bet you'll be fine as they night goes on.

Just don't tell them the Jets record - that would scare the crap out of anybody. :irishwink:

Edited by Fatman

We were trick or treating last night and we went to this house that was real done up. The works: music, lights, cobwebs, etc. Well, it turns out they had a couple guys in the yard acting like they were dummies and then they would get up and chase kids. So we get up to the door, and my little girl, who is four and dressed like a lady bug, gets her candy. Well on the way down the sidewalk this d-bag with a mask on jumps up and starts running at my daughter benging on a pot. If I did not have to console my daughter, I would have beaten the living chit out of this guy. Some people are some damn stupid it amazes me.

We were trick or treating last night and we went to this house that was real done up. The works: music, lights, cobwebs, etc. Well, it turns out they had a couple guys in the yard acting like they were dummies and then they would get up and chase kids. So we get up to the door, and my little girl, who is four and dressed like a lady bug, gets her candy. Well on the way down the sidewalk this d-bag with a mask on jumps up and starts running at my daughter benging on a pot. If I did not have to console my daughter, I would have beaten the living chit out of this guy. Some people are some damn stupid it amazes me.

What a dick. I definitely would have kicked the crap out of him... but then, I was dressed as Mr. Incredible!

Well, that is clearly over the line... WAY over. I bet you could sue his dopey butt, and get some serious coin if you were so inclined. I think it's OK to go that far with the older kids, but not the preschoolers. Me, I mighta had a couple of spare eggs in the fridge that needed new homes later in the evening.

I was surprised at how many kids asked me if the blood was real.... that seemed to scare em pretty good, but I made sure I didn't do anything that would scare the young 'uns.... the make up was plenty, I didn't need to freak em out beyond the visual effects. I let them know it was just in fun right away.